Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Valo's Various Pixels
Well, I think it is about time I took a little break from coding, else I'll go mad. I usually unwind by spriting, so I figured i'd post a thread here. I have lots of old work but i dont see much point in posting it right now, so let me just share the current piece I'm working on!
[Image: QfYMTqP.png]If you have any comments or feedback, don't hesitate to post! I'll try to keep this updated often.
I love the little dude, and the big dude looks very promising. Once you've made more progress I'm excited to see where it goes!!
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by: Valo
for a robot, it looks quite opaque. it might be proposital but its good to consider that

Also, its head should cast shadow on its body due to size - it's good to show volume.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
(07-31-2015, 08:38 AM)Gors Wrote: for a robot, it looks quite opaque. it might be proposital but its good to consider that

Also, its head should cast shadow on its body due to size - it's good to show volume.

I'm not sure what you mean about being opaque. Can you elaborate on that please? Also I was going to add a shadow there, I'm just not at the point of shading it yet, trying to remove the sketch lines and smooth it right now.
Thanked by:
by opaque i mean,

robots are usually metallic, so you need to increase contrast on the already existing shades. Right now the robot seems like it's made with cloth - there is no shine or enough contrast for metal (though this is maybe because you didn't shade it yet)

anyway I expect more from you, other than those things i pointed i see no errors
adjective
not able to be seen through; not transparent.
"the windows were opaque with steam"

I feel like opaque isn't the right word, but i see what you mean, ill keep it in mind when i shade it.
Thanked by:
Opaque

adjective
not transparent or translucent; impenetrable to light; not allowing light to pass through.
not transmitting radiation, sound, heat, etc.
not shining or bright; dark; dull.
hard to understand; not clear or lucid; obscure:
The problem remains opaque despite explanations.
dull, stupid, or unintelligent.

I meant this one when I said 'opaque', though I see why you'd be confused! Sorry about that, I guess my own explanation was opaque! hehe

(I don't mean this in a negative way, just to make it clear)
Thanked by: Garamonde, Valo, ~Axis~
(07-31-2015, 04:35 PM)Gors Wrote: Opaque

adjective
not transparent or translucent; impenetrable to light; not allowing light to pass through.
not transmitting radiation, sound, heat, etc.
not shining or bright; dark; dull.
hard to understand; not clear or lucid; obscure:
The problem remains opaque despite explanations.
dull, stupid, or unintelligent.

I meant this one when I said 'opaque', though I see why you'd be confused! Sorry about that, I guess my own explanation was opaque! hehe

(I don't mean this in a negative way, just to make it clear)
To be fair though, I'm not sure this guy is going to shine when hes detailed and done. He's meant to have been sitting there for ages, he'll have plant life stuck to him too. Contrast/palette in general might need played with as i go though.
Thanked by:
ahhh! then that's okay - you can leave it that way then - just increase the contrast in the inside outlines and you're good to go
[Image: Kh0vSLY.png]
Not 100% but i think it is far enough now to begin the detailing and shading phase. I know the arm rings/hand are still rough, and i wanna redo the whole 'lip' of the shoulder domes. you guys spot anything else?
The darkly-shaded leg and darkly-shaded arm blend together for me. I'd suggest making that leg as bright as the one in the foreground, or using raising the contrast of everything and giving that leg some midtones (5 colors is awfully low for a piece of this size anyways). Also, the perspective of the foot closest to us looks a bit strange. Shouldn't it be shifted more to the left so that less black is visible?
There's a plate on its chest which connects to a triangle. However, on the other side the plate curves upwards, which makes the design asymmetrical.

Can't think of much else to say as it's still quite early. Looking forward to more! Smile
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

(08-01-2015, 01:58 AM)DragonDePlatino Wrote: The darkly-shaded leg and darkly-shaded arm blend together for me. I'd suggest making that leg as bright as the one in the foreground, or using raising the contrast of everything and giving that leg some midtones (5 colors is awfully low for a piece of this size anyways). Also, the perspective of the foot closest to us looks a bit strange. Shouldn't it be shifted more to the left so that less black is visible?
I'm a bit hesitant to add more colors, given how WAK style works. IT really is only 2 shades per color, and limbs/etc that are farther from the camera are flat shadowed. I'll try to add maybe a 3rd shade for the leg to help it not blend as much, but i still want to keep the color count generally low. [Image: QSH2bJr.png]On the leg, I'm not sure. I do think you have a point about the perspective having an issue, I'll try to shift the ankle a bit 
(08-01-2015, 04:40 AM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote: There's a plate on its chest which connects to a triangle. However, on the other side the plate curves upwards, which makes the design asymmetrical.

Can't think of much else to say as it's still quite early. Looking forward to more! Smile

I think the issue is that 'horizontal' seem curves upward too quickly on our left under his head. There supposed to be identical plating like on our right, but it's not drawn due to the angle. i think the line curving up so sharply might be making the illusion that the chest isn't as wide as I envisioned... 

Thank you both for the feedback, I'll try to incorporate it as well as i can!
Thanked by: Garamonde
With your style restriction it is going to be hard to avoid that leg/arm blending. If it isn't something you want to completely avoid, having at least one extra shade for the further leg that is intermediate will help a lot. You might also want to incorporate said intermediate shade onto the left side of the main torso area too, otherwise it might look strange.
[Image: lxo2yJg.png]I tried to see how adding a mid shade would work, and i think it helps a bit(also it helps me AA the shading which is kinda needed due to the scale lol) But i kinda have a question for you guys. Do you have any suggestions for a new head design? I kinda want to make a somewhat...I don't know...Goofier head? For the role this guy has and how silly his arms are in terms of practicality, i think having a 'skull' head doesn't fit entirely. Do you guys have suggestions?
Thanked by: