Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Help ripping from apk file (twewy:sr)
Hello, I am trying to get background graphics from this game to use for a commercial free rpg maker sequel I'm making with a few friends (if they wont give us a sequel, we will give ourselves one).

I have already downloaded the apk file of the world ends with you: solo remix and have managed to get into the files by unzipping it but the files inside are compressed and I have absolutely no clue how to extract the  images from them. There are a whole bunch of file types inside and I'm wondering what I should be looking for if I'm trying to find graphics resources.

It seems I can't upload any attachments here because the file type is not allowed, but there are a bunch of .bytes files, .akb.bytes files, some .dll files and more. (although a lot of just extension-less files)

I have tried messing around in HxD but I cant find pngs in there (or maybe I'm not looking right????)

If anyone has any advice I'd be really grateful, thanks!
Thanked by:
Well a bunch of the sprites have already been submitted by Dazz, so he probably knows what to do. Even so, could you upload one of each file type (except for DLL)? Just put them in a ZIP and upload it to something like Dropbox or Mega.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
It's been a long time, but I recall the game using Unity. I extracted the files from the Shared_Assets file (or something to that effect) and then there were a bunch of (I think) ".34" files?

My friend, Previous, made an application that would spurt out a bunch of crap, but alongside it usable assets. It was rough as heck, but it got the job done.

I hope that helps?
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by:
I didn't find any shared asset or .## files but I did find a whole slew of files and folders. (the movie folder blissfully contains playable movies)

I added a sample of the files here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8dmw94gmuc72x...v60Pa?dl=0

Im pretty sure the .bytes file is music though.

I have both the apk and ipa unzipped so the sample file with the key smash name came from the apk.

EDIT:
oh scratch that, I did find some shared asset files in the apk, those are missing from the ipa though. I'll add 'em to the dropbox.
Thanked by:
You are correct about the .bytes file (in this case a rather good song!), it's basically an OGG with an additional header slapped on the front. Removing the first 120 bytes with a hex editor works fine, although that number might differ between files; just everything before the first occurrence of "OggS" should be removed.

You can extract .assets files using disunity, however for files ending in .split#, all corresponding files need to be in the same folder. Smallish files like sharedassets6.assets usually don't contain anything of importance and it fails to extract anything anyway.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
I'm glad to know the files are coming out alright.

I'm super fresh at this (like 24h fresh) so I may need a little help with a few of the steps there.
I found and downloaded disunity, made a file for it on C: then there was a second file I had to download and copy-paste the com folder into where disunity was extracted. I made sure java was up to date ..... 

But I don't know what to do next. clicking on disunity doesn't seem to open anything and I've already tried looking around for tutorials and such but I'm finding any web directions to be lacking.

Oh also forgot to mention I added it to my system path already.

annd brick wall.

(I'm curious as to what song got spit out, I'll consider it a mystery to be solved when I've finally learned how to extract it.)
Thanked by:
Ah right, sorry about that. You need to use the command line. I'll make it simple and just give you this:

Code:
disunity extract my_asset_file.assets

Put this in a .bat file in the same folder as disunity. Put the files in that directory also, and replace "my_asset_file.assets" with the name of the file to extract. Run the .bat file, it should show a bunch of words and then when it's done there should be a folder named after your file, containing the extracted files.
Thanked by:
Aight! So far so good. I managed to get a font file and a file with some fancy fox noise monster sprites in it. 

I'm trying the bytes now, threw it into hxd, removed until the first oggs, then saved. Went through the same process as the previous two but no new files were created this time.

Any idea where I might be going wrong?

/level25 doesnt seem to be coming out either
Thanked by:
Oh uh, disunity is only for sharedassets files.

With the .bytes files, after removing the stuff just rename it to have an .ogg extension and you can play it in a player that supports .ogg (I think most do, not sure about Windows Media Player though). It's a fairly common format and is accepted on the resource sites.

level25 is tiny and probably contains level data as opposed to any actual resources.
Thanked by:
pfff, ahh this song. Surprisingly dirty for the age group this game is marketed for ...

Okay so I don't really need to bother with the bytes then because most of the songs are already accessible, wonder if I could find any voice clips in there though .. hmn

I tried out another asset file, same way I did the first one and nothing came out. 
Then I tried sharedassets6.assets again (the one you had and the one I had previously opened) and nothing came out ...
I even removed the new folders of resources, put a new sharedassets6.assets in there from somewhere else and ran the .bat again and still nothing came out.

This is confusing as I literally just had it working 5 minutes ago?
....I'm
Thanked by:
sharedassets6.assets didn't work for me either. Some of them aren't extractable, which usually means they don't contain anything interesting.

Would you like me to create a script for turning the .bytes files into .ogg? It would be doing the same thing but it's less tedious and you can just do it for a bunch of files at once. If so then I can do that tomorrow, it's pretty late and I'm about to sleep.
Thanked by:
Ah, okay. I thought I was messing something up. It seems strange though, there are a lot of graphics in this game and not many files. Maybe the split assets will turn those up, who knows. I'm also headed to bed, didn't mean to stay up until 9am but .... that what happens when you fiddle with files n such I guess.

Still dunno about the elusive .34 files though, maybe they'll turn up.

And I mean, yeah that would be really helpful. If you're busy though I can wait. I'm not really in a rush.

Thanks for all the help man! It means a lot.
Thanked by:
UPDATE:
Alright so Lexou Duck sent me a few extraction tools for the twewy .ipa which extracted about 1,200 PNGs from all the .28 files (which were extracted from the resource.assets file)

There are still a bunch of .83 .21 and .43 that were extracted as well. Does anyone know what to do with these? (roughly about 3,500 files are of these types)

On top of that with disunity I have been working my way through 5,900 different files from the .apk one by one. Some of these are the same as the .ipa and some are different. The nice thing so far is that some of the files found one way are coruppted while the other way spits them out fine:
So in the end there are more unable pictures. It's going to take me a while to go through all of the files but I'll compile them when I'm done and submit them.
Thanked by: puggsoy
About those .bytes files, could you upload a couple more? I just want to make sure I know for sure how much to remove from the start.
Thanked by:
Awesome, great job petite! Sorry, I must have got the number wrong... It was .28 Sad

I think I missed a few things when I was ripping from that game - if you do find anything I missed, be sure to consider submitting them! Smile
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by: