Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Easy way to rip GBA sprites without Visual Boy Advance?
I recently noticed that in the beta version of The SpongeBob Movie (GBA), one of the bosses has a different appearance. I was able to get a ROM of this beta version, but the title screen won't load in Visual Boy Advance. It loads in No$GBA and I can get to the boss via passwords, but I am not sure how to actually rip the sprites. Some frames are obscured by foreground objects during the boss battle, and the player sprites also overlap the boss at times. I would like to get these beta boss sprites on the site but I'm just not sure how to go about doing that. Can someone help?
[Image: OOovP5l.gif]
Thanked by:
You can try to make a savestate on the final version and load it in the beta. Not sure if it will work but it is worth a try.
Make savestates in different places of the game, because some might not work.
[Image: stitch_hi_by_guy_who_does_art-d7hridu.jpg]
Thanked by:
Just tried that, it unfortunately would not load. Is there a way to record frame-by-frame on a different emulator such as Boycott Advance or No$GBA? The game loads fine in those.
Thanked by:
BizHawk
[Image: stitch_hi_by_guy_who_does_art-d7hridu.jpg]
Thanked by:
Well I've managed to get the palette colors that are different from the final version, the only difference other than palette is the eyepatch. Which was easy to study the screenshots from the emulator and recreate. (By "easy" I mean "Feasible for me." It was still quite the task.)

[Image: pHhc7HM.png]

So would the site accept this? I don't really see any glaring mistakes here, other than the missing pixels on the hand in one of the frames, but that was in the final one too so I assume it was an error on the part of the game designers.
Thanked by:
Looks pretty good to me. The only thing I would suggest is to use a solid background instead of transparent, that's usually preferred unless the sprites have anti-aliasing. For this particular sheet I think a cyan background would work well.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
AWESOME WORK!

and hmm...
I think I like that beta thug a lot more, he actually LOOKS like a thug!
Thanked by: