Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Filler's Sprite dumping ground
Yeah, the name is rather odd. But it fits, as this is kinda a "random" pixel art mess full of my works.

This is from an old document I had laying around. Here, we have a dog. The llama from Donkey Kong 64 (Unfinished) and some random weapons.

[Image: t8p5WT0.png]

So, ummm... I'll be posting here every blue moon. I would also like some criticism.
I like to make models in my free time. I also make weird games, too.
Thanked by:
Sorry for the topic bump, but I got bored and did some pixel art.

I tried to do a Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga styled K-rool from DKC2. Despite the fact there's already a TON of M&L Superstar Saga styled sprites that I honestly got tired of seeing them, I thought it would be fun to try it out.

[Image: njpOAd4.png]

I used the skeleton DK from the game as a reference to Mario. Then compared it to the size of DK to K-rool in DKC (DK isn't in  DKC2) So I THINK the size is correct.

My guess would that K-rool would shoot spike balls at the bros, or he would use the speed boost from his gun to attack them as you can counter by stomping him.

Odd concept, but I guess it'd make a cool boss.
Thanked by:
I get the same way myself in regards to Mario & Luigi sprites. Even though I'm sick of seeing them everywhere, I won't mind my friends and I trying the style out for kicks.

Anyway, not be be offensive, but this sprite of the good "kaptain" is not in M&L:SS style. Not only is the palette off, but also the outline is very jaggy. My suggestion is to touch up on some tutorials and have a look at already existing sprites to give you ideas. Who knows? Maybe Sean/Starpower and Neslug might lend a hand if they ever stumble upon this topic.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by: Filler
@E-man

I can kinda see that. The sprite itself was rather hastily done and made because I was bored, so there's massive room for improvement (Especially when looking at this compared my older works)

I would put some sprites here. But I lost a-lot of stuff due to a hard-drive format I had to do, and I forgot to back-up everything. Need to make some more.
Thanked by:
Been working on a game, so here's some sprites from it.

Tile set

[Image: tile_set_by_fillerartist-d95hosc.png]

The copied tile without a hitbox was a sloppy fix to a glitch. Not going to explain it.

Tank sprite

[Image: time_tank_by_fillerartist-d95hoso.png]

Here's a weapon of sorts

[Image: wep_by_fillerartist-d95hqpi.png]

Animated stuff related to it.

[Image: _reload_by_fillerartist-d95hqpu.gif]

[Image: shoot_by_fillerartist-d95hqpp.gif]

And this is the more major part of this post.

[Image: lv_whatever_by_fillerartist-d95hos4.png]

This is a WIP level, quite a few assets are placeholder graphics (Like the BG and the move-able crate). The lights are rendered transparent in-game and looks far less ugly in a level editor.

There's are the lights when rendered:

[Image: rendered_lights_by_fillerartist-d95hrjv.png]

Here's more screenshots of the level rendered in-game. The 10 FPS is a lie, I didn't code the FPS display properly, so it was set to a place-holder number.

[Image: time_screenshot_2_by_fillerartist-d95cg4k.png]

Note: This image was taken before I drew the computer assets, sorry.

[Image: time_screenshot_4_by_fillerartist-d95cg44.png]

The rain is a fast-scrolling BG to give the feeling that it's animated. It's actually a still. The Phantom from GoldenEye 64 is a placeholder weapon, and will probably be replaced.
Thanked by:
I don't like the sprites at all - sorry if this kinda sounds harsh but there are many things to be fixed

your shading doesn't convey volume well, and the use of the black for outlines make the sprite look flat and detail-less. Though this is a little more bearable in small characters, bigger graphics such as the tank suffers from these choices.

you can notice that the shading does these weird gradient curves - they only make the shapes look embossed, and not 3D. The point of shading is to give the 2D graphics volume. I'll try giving more insightful pointers when I'm home, but it's a good idea to study official games' graphics to get an idea

don't feel overwhelmed by this though, because it's a common error and with enough practice you can produce more convincing pieces. Everyone's been there at some point (including me).
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: Virt, Filler
@Gors

Thank you.

The art style in this game is suppose to be a bit flat, but I can really badly see the issues on the tank, though. I also think I forget the coloured outlines on the tank, too.

But, that sprite was an improvement, as the original tank sprite was really nasty. It has horrible dirt effects made in GIMP and is even more flat. I think the shading is better here, though.

[Image: tank_old_by_fillerartist-d95pzuz.png]

Also, here's a background asset for the lazy-man's computer den, it's some really bad garbage and filth.

[Image: pizza_and_garbo_by_fillerartist-d95pzv6.png]

This sky BG really needs to be changed, though. It's just the airbrush spray tool in MS paint layered and layered to looklike cheap clouds, I guess.

[Image: 159_0_by_fillerartist-d95pzve.png]
Thanked by:
Here's a garbage dumpster, it's meant for the level I posted above.

[Image: dumpster_by_fillerartist-d960rsw.png]

I think it looks good?
Thanked by:
"[Image: tank_old_by_fillerartist-d95pzuz.png]"
You're still not  really doing enough to give this any sort of 3 dimensional depth. Unless you're really pushing a stylization here, i would suggest trying to focus highlights where light would build when an object, say the sun, shines on it. At this moment it gives an odd the impression of a paper 'doll' of sorts due lack of depth. 

"[Image: dumpster_by_fillerartist-d960rsw.png]"
Right off the bat i feel there are major perspective issues with it. The left side comes up higher than the right, and the object ends flat when the 'overhead' like perspective should carry through to the bottom of it. IE, the bottom of the box should follow the same shaping as the 'lid'. I'm also perplexed by the lack of detail. Compared to how you textured the tank, this looks very...unfinished. Is there a specific reason for that?
Thanked by: recme, Filler
@Valo

That tank sprite was the older one, actually, it was before I changed up the styles to use less non-pixel art effect, tis is how it looks, now:

The dumpster sprite was cut off because some tiles where covering it, I did some fixes and made it so it now shows everything, rather than what you could see in-game.

[Image: dumpster_by_fillerartist-d966ch6.png]

Also, the game is made up of tons of sprites using rotation and layering, so I decided that the paper-doll style would work better.
Thanked by: Valo
Tried to re-draw the tank base, did I do any better? I didn't bother with the barrel sprite, because that one didn't need any changes, from what I feel.

[Image: tank_redo_compare_by_fillerartist-d96b13m.png]

I removed the goat sign for more detail. I also toned down the odd shading effects by as much as I could, the light was also changed with a less confusing design.
Thanked by:
Does this count as Pixel Art?

I made a cheap hack of SMB1 starring Shrek with some sort of CHR editor... of all things.

[Image: shrek_bros_screen_cap_1_by_fillerartist-d98b91o.png]

Someone out there is disgusted that I made this, I bet.
Thanked by:
Should've been "SWAMP 1-1", haha.
Thanked by: recme, Kosheh
Super Ogrio Maker

Shreksual Healing
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by:
For those who REALLY want to play it, here's an attachment of an X Delta patch for it. Use Delta Patcher to do so.

Attached Files
.zip   Shrek bros patch.zip (Size: 1.81 KB / Downloads: 120)
Thanked by: