Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Web Dev Chat
Good evening all,

So many many many many moons ago I was here a lot and often working on sprites and such, since then I have been working as a web designer and then developer. So now I am working on web apps with some angularJS, and some fun things with animation with SVG graphics. 

Was wondering if any one else here had interest, work in that line of work as well and want to chat about things, up coming trends for example or even just chit chat. 
Thanked by:
Hey! I don't frequent this section so I'm only just now seeing this thread but I'd love to see some of what you're working on.

I've been doing web development for a while now but definitely don't have as much JavaScript experience as I'd like. I've been picking up quite a bit but, for instance, know next to nothing about AngularJS (which looks pretty cool actually).

You have a distinct advantage in this field having competence in both design and development so I'm sure you've been doing some interesting work.
Thanked by: Flare
At work/training, we're starting to get into web applications. Though, so far, it's been mostly just working with base html + css with some tiny jsp/java connections. That said, I can see angularJS in my future.

Outside of work, I have used html canvas stuff for games, but that's pretty much all javascript once you have the canvas actually set up lol.
Thanked by:
Aye, my last work which was mainly designing websites for small to medium businesses, which was great but the end products had lots of compromise that looking back I would feel we should of fought more on. But business needs monies so.

Have started a semi-new job this year and they create products so I am getting to enjoy a much more creative side of the industry. Also helped me work with AngularJS (old work being much more PHP focused as is most with most CMS) but I have really enjoyed the features of Angular, in terms of how snappy everything feels, certainly loosing that page load for changing data helps to not break up the overall experience.

Yeh I am working away with some gaming stuff via canvas and js. Testing waters for things outside of the usual app stuff, so hope to post some things while working on that. Still firmly setting my feet into web design and development as I still love that side.

Interestingly this was brought to my attention today, its rather new. But quite cool it compares itself to React and Angular.
http://jsblocks.com
Thanked by: Kitsu
I understand the frustrations of building around a client's requirements. My biggest projects have been this network and VGFacts and I definitely wound up a bit spoiled in that regard as it was mostly just Dazz and I laying out what was needed and the lack of absurd demands was wonderful.

I've been making more frequent use of JavaScript as time has gone on but still nothing major. Originally, this was due to lack of familiarity with it and more recently, it's just been to ensure a consistent cross-browser and platform experience. The latter is becoming less and less of an issue as technology improves though so I may start playing with it a bit more (e.g. submitting comments via AJAX instead of a normal form submission). We'll see.

jsblocks seems interesting but I'm not sure I'm a fan of all of these competing libraries. I understand the necessity of jQuery and think it's wonderful but there are now so many libraries built on top of it that it's becoming very difficult to keep track of them all. I've personally not looked too thoroughly into any of them because, while I can see the appeal of something like AngularJS or jsblocks, they still rely on jQuery and I already know that so I tend to just stick with it.
Thanked by:
That is true, luckily it is in the past. Have done tiny bits of freelance and luckily they trust a lot more, in my old agency the tendency to say yes to silly ideas to earn a buck must of been too tempting for the higher ups, haha.

Really Angular was the option I chose to learn as my new company were going to be using that, and as a framework it is useful. Also helps make sure I am working to a rigid structure. Angular does include jQuery but a stripped back version so that it can manipulate the DOM, though so far jQuery has been included in projects regardless.

That aside I have been playing with svg manipulation - the eye candy things. Will need to post them at some point.
Thanked by: