Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Monsters!
Heres what I got. Please give me constructive criticism. Trying to get better and learn how to make "Gothic styled" monsters like from Castlevania. The Sprite I have included is a monster concept for my friends game. I call it a Gaunt.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Image(s)

Thanked by:
Hey, pal, I think you'd be better off taking a look at this. It details a lot of basic concepts in the world of pixel arts.

http://www.vg-resource.com/thread-25474.html

Two problems I see right off the bat are jagged outlines and unusual shading. When creating outlines with pixels, you need to keep in mind that there should be no unnatural breaks in straight lines and the curves need to bend gradually. The red bits you see below are examples of jagged outlines.

[Image: straight_jag.gif]
[Image: curved_jag.gif]

As for the shading, I have no idea what you're trying to pull off with it. Are you trying to apply proper shading and maybe place some wrinkles on the body, or is it supposed to be a ghost prune? Either way, I think understanding how a form looks in a 3-D space should help you in this situation. Shyguy would probably tell you more about this, but the thing to remember is that places that receive the most exposure to the light are naturally lighter than everywhere else on the subject.

[Image: Apple-2.png]

Also, don't forget to give your shades contrast. Otherwise, they'd blend in with the base color. An effective way to gain good contrast is to employ hue shifting. I won't give you all the details now, but the basic idea is that warmer colors are your highlights, while cooler colors are your shades. Of course, besides altering the luminance and saturation accordingly, the other thing to keep in mind is to use only the colors that border the base color on a color wheel (i.e. orange gets dark red shading and light yellow highlights).
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by: Ton, Ex3nt
[Image: fJUXogi.png]
made a quick edit between classes, like eman said, you do need smoother lines (although this doesnt mean you cant keep his cool shape) and less complex shading when you're working at this resolution, II wasnt sure what the energy stuff around him was supposed to be, but whatever it is, it needs to be brighter or it wont stand out, that purple blended with the background. You're going to want to tr to have solid color clusters instead of tons of little individual pixels, I probably could have done better myself in that department but like I said Im rather pressed for time. Hopefully this helps, might reedit my edit later on.
His design is cool I like him.
[Image: Little_lamp_in_dark_room.jpg]

Thanked by: E-Man, Ex3nt, Virt, Level 1, Garamonde
Thank you guys! I will take this info and go with it! @Zadaben I'm glad you like him! And sick shading btw.
Thanked by:
It's not that bad, really. Aside from the formerly mentioned cons about the sprites. I think it's a great starting point. The more you practice with creating custom sprites the better you become in doing it. The lines are a slightly jaggy, but that's pretty much the only negative point I can think about these sprites.
[Image: 5UBsluF.png]
Thanked by: