Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
BFRES Ripper
(EDIT: A revision to the script is available that supports automatic texture importing now!)

Hello all! I'm coming to you all with an announcement!

You can now rip your BFRES models freely! Thanks to myself and RTB working on this script, we've got a working script for 3DS Max to import those Wii U BFRES models!

Download it right here: DOWNLOAD! (RTB's note: Or this version if there happen to be rigging problems, like with 3DS Max 2013/2014.)

This only works on uncompressed, raw BFRES files. Decompiling them using LordNed's tool will make them useless due to the pointer system.

Bug wise, I know of there being possible errors when using this script on Max 2015. There are also some models from NSMBU that may have problems, but they're just models brought in from NSMB Wii. 

Now onto the subject of textures. They are embedded into the BFRES files. RTB got a working BMS script and through some mangling with TwilightZoney and RTB, we have a batch program that gets everything to convert to dds through TexConv2 correctly. 

You can download that package of stuff right here: DOWNLOAD! (RTB's note: Alternatively if you don't have WinRAR, you can use these two links instead.)

Usage is pretty simple: Run the BMS script and dump the gtx files from whatever BFRES file you want to dump from. Drop those gtx files into the Convert folder, run ConvertGTX.bat and the dds textures you want will be in the OutDDS and OutDDS_Lossless folders. (RTB's note: You'll want to check the former first, the latter is particularly for the normal maps / ATI2-format textures, and for some reason won't keep alpha channels.)

The output textures can't be opened in Photoshop with the plugins, but they read just fine in 3DS Max and Noesis. 

That's pretty much it! Enjoy, use to your hearts content!

CREDITS
ItsEasyActually - Script Writing
RandomTalkingBush - Script Writing, BMS Script and batch program for textures

Special thanks to TGE for getting me started on this, and big thanks to RTB for aiding me. It wouldn't have been possible without him!
I post stuff randomly. I hope you people like what gets posted.
I'll use this post as a list of currently-known games that use said BFRES format (all of which I've got the files for, if you need 'em you can ask me for 'em).
  • Animal Crossing Plaza (I only have one BFRES file from it, though...)
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
  • Game & Wario
  • Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
  • The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
  • Mario and Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
  • Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash
  • Mario Kart 8
  • New Super Mario Bros. U / New Super Luigi U
  • NintendoLand
  • Pikmin 3
  • Rodea: The Sky Soldier
  • Splatoon
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Tank! Tank! Tank!
  • Wii Sports Club
  • Wii U BIOS
Anyway, hope you enjoy! Wink
Thank you so much! I'll get on the Captain Toad, SM3DW, and MK8 models right away!

EDIT: I've extracted Toadette and Wingo's textures, and here's an example of what their normal/bump maps look like. Are they supposed to look glitchy like this, or is that just their way of making the materials look detailed?

[Image: kinopicobody_nrm_zpsoowjejpw.png]
Thanked by:
(02-18-2015, 08:58 PM)Mystie Wrote: EDIT: I've extracted Toadette and Wingo's textures, and here's an example of what their normal/bump maps look like. Are they supposed to look glitchy like this, or is that just their way of making the materials look detailed?

Use Noesis and check the respective textures in the OutDDS_Lossless folder, those ones should be correct. And if they're not, I gotta fix some things.
Thanked by:
(02-18-2015, 09:19 PM)Random Talking Bush Wrote:
(02-18-2015, 08:58 PM)Mystie Wrote: EDIT: I've extracted Toadette and Wingo's textures, and here's an example of what their normal/bump maps look like. Are they supposed to look glitchy like this, or is that just their way of making the materials look detailed?

Use Noesis and check the respective textures in the OutDDS_Lossless folder, those ones should be correct. And if they're not, I gotta fix some things.

I didn't get an OutDDS or OutDDS_Lossless folder. Instead, when I ran them through texconv2, they ended up in the Convert folder along with the .gtx files. Ignore this, I'm a fucking idiot. I assumed that the texconv2 I already had would work the same as the new one, but apparently not.

Anyway, I imported Toadette and Wingo (both her normal model and bloated model), and various body parts seem to be misplaced, such as Wingo's hat and necklace. Why is this?
Thanked by:
(02-18-2015, 09:32 PM)Mystie Wrote: Anyway, I imported Toadette and Wingo (both her normal model and bloated model), and various body parts seem to be misplaced, such as Wingo's hat and necklace. Why is this?
Try this version of the script, lemme know if it works.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2787..._RigFix.ms
It seems to work just fine, thanks! I brought in Wingo, and her parts are where they should be, and her rigging seems to be working perfectly so far!

(She's also very rich in polygons as well.)
Thanked by:
RTB? Would it be possible to get the files for Meowser and his model?
I'm an opera-crossover singer undergoing classical voice training and I'm also making Super Smash Bros. Feud.

Discord: kold_virus
Thanked by:
Thanks you so much!!! Big Grin It's works great!!

Mario 3D World Meowser for SFM/Gmod, here I come!!!

Thanked by:
Good... I somehow can predict that the Baby Yoshi from New super mario bros U... the neko bowser from SM3DW... the big dragon from captain toad... and perhaps, some unknown creature models from other compatible games... will be available... or maybe not due for the strange glitch on Toadete's texture... but at least... I shall be optimistic this time. Big Grin

You know guys?... I have just 4 words for you...

YOU...ARE...SO...AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

I'm still a Wii model ripper... I didn't started with 3DS model ripping... and even if I get the chance to do it, you are already ripping Wii U models... No matter how shall I initiate in the ripping world... you are always 2 or 3 steps beyond me. It's a lot much I need to learn about this and I think I'm too old for this.

Did I noticed RatchetMario is going to rip Neko Bowser????... Fantastic!... and if you manage to port it into Gmod... maybe I shall give it a test... LOL!... along with Eevee playermodel.

PS: Oh... I didn't noticed RTB updated the script to solve the texture problems... more of a reason to be optimistic right now... Big Grin
***Since the marine headquarters has been destroyed by unknown forces, we had decided to temporarily replace the actual rewards for a newer one... We are looking
for new criminals or updated rewards from the previous ones... meanwhile here will be no reward posting for some time.

if someone knows some important info of who is behind the attack on our headquarters, please contact one of our officials by den den mushi and will get rep+ and added as buddy, thanks for your contribution***

Akainu Sakazuki
fleet admiral from Marine Headquarters.

PS: I didn't lost my data for virus or hacker... it's just a funny joke... the truth is that my HD got damaged physically...  Cry
Thanked by:
(02-20-2015, 07:41 AM)Farlavor Wrote: Did I noticed RatchetMario is going to rip Neko Bowser????... Fantastic!... and if you manage to port it into Gmod... maybe I shall give it a test... LOL!...

Yes I am. But I'd rather to put them on SFM...also I make for Gmod too.
http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/...040112DDA/
http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/...DCDF8A082/
(Links is from Steam, its safe.)

I'd submit on Model-Resource too!

Thanked by: Mystie, ItsEasyActually
This may interest people: http://kinnay.nsmbwii.com/mario/fmdl.php

As may MrRean's documentation, if you are not already aware of it.
Thanked by:
I personally would like to see if I can extract the forms of Motley Bossblob from the latest Mario outing.
Thanked by:
(02-20-2015, 11:32 AM)RatchetMario Wrote: Yes I am. But I'd rather to put them on SFM...also I make for Gmod too.
http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/...040112DDA/
http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/...DCDF8A082/
(Links is from Steam, its safe.)

I'd submit on Model-Resource too!

This is cool haha. Looking forward to seeing whatever comes from this tool. Glad to see everyone's enjoying it!
I post stuff randomly. I hope you people like what gets posted.
Thanked by: Farlavor, RatchetMario
Can anyone supply me with the files from Kirby and the Rainbow Curse? That'd be my top priority if I could do anything.
Thanked by: