Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Genesis Emulator for Vista
Apologies if this is in the wrong thread; I haven't been on this site for a long time.

Hey there, everyone! Big Grin

Yesterday, I was thinking about ripping sprites from Sega Genesis/CD/32X games (Wanted to add a little variety to my sprite ripping Wink ), but I was wondering: does anyone here know of a good Genesis/CD/32X emulator compatible with Windows Vista, preferably one that I can rip sprites from? You see, I was going to download Gens, but I read online that it can cause the screen to become distorted if it's running on Vista.

So, does anyone know of such a compatible emulator?
I don't usually watch shows for little girls, but when I do, it's My Little Pony.Cool
Stay pony, my friends...
Thanked by:
Sorry but there are none. My only suggestion is to remove Vista and use XP or Seven.
[Image: lhjFt57.gif][Image: sX7JK6W.gif][Image: 4BB3IOO.gif][Image: qHY3ZCP.gif][Image: oCiv6RT.gif][Image: RNSMdiR.gif][Image: gx5wm3G.gif][Image: ld7rSgS.gif]
Thanked by:
Kega Fusion doesn't work on Vista?
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
(01-29-2015, 04:03 PM)Neon Streak Wrote: You see, I was going to download Gens, but I read online that it can cause the screen to become distorted if it's running on Vista.

But have you tried it? That problem may be outdated or simply not apply to your PC. And if it does, I read here that "you can workaround this problem by switching the desktop color scheme to 16-bit."

I personally recommend using Gens11b (or Gens11svn, I can't remember if the latter is better or not) as that has layer disabling capabilities and allows you to change the background colour using LUA (instead of black since that can be inconvenient), as well as a couple of other hacking-related features.

If that doesn't work at all, as Viper said try Kega Fusion. That's pretty much the best Genesis/CD/32X emulator out there, although it doesn't have any layer disabling (to my knowledge).

Regardless, you should try switch to XP, 7 or 8 as soon as you can since Vista is generally the least overall compatible Windows version, which can be a pain when ripping and using emulators.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
One Google Search Later...

Sheesh! I didn't realize there was so much to do just to install and play Kega Fusion. Surprise (You have to use Notepad just to make certain games work right...for first-timers, anyway.)
Don't even get me started on Sega CD games: you have to install special BIOs, export all of the (chosen) game's contents into the Emulator's folder, and to top it all off, some S-CD ROMs don't have a CUE file! So you have to make one, then rename all the music tracks in Notepad. Installing ZSNES didn't take nearly as long as this!

Also, when I'm ripping sprites, I always try to rip every specific tilesheet from the ROM, then manually assemble the tiles. A process that-although tedious in hindsight-is a process I find to be easier than taking screenshots. I don't think Kega Fusion is capable of such debug features, but I could be wrong.

Tis' a shame, too; I was so looking forward to ripping sprites from Ultraverse Prime for the Sega CD. Cry
I don't usually watch shows for little girls, but when I do, it's My Little Pony.Cool
Stay pony, my friends...
Thanked by:
Hey Puggsoy, quick question:
Does Gens11b require any special BIOs to play Sega CD games? I know Gens does.
Stay pony, my friends...
Thanked by:
Gens11b is basically Gens, with some additional ripping/hacking tools, so yes. But regardless, any emulator will require BIOS as those are necessary to emulate Sega CD games. It shouldn't be an issue though, you can find them easily using Google.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
Don't worry; I got it worked out. Wink
Stay pony, my friends...
Thanked by: