Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Have you ever gotten into a game because of its sprites?
This has happened a couple of times, but basically there are a few games which I decided to hunt down and actually play simply because I liked the sprites I saw of it on this site. Mostly because either the artstyle of the sprites or it was about a game series I liked in which that particular installment I've never heard. Anyone else with similar stories?
Thanked by:
This should probably be in the Gaming section. Not General Discussion.

Thanked by:
Koopaul is right, however /i like this discussion. I'll move and comment:

I don't remember playing a game because of its sprites, but I know games I tried because of its music. This goes for Outrun, Streets of Rage II, Super Hang-On and Kid Icarus Uprising.

Those are really good games with amazing soundtrack. I miss classic SEGA...
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is probably the biggest example on my behalf, but I've admittedly been trying out most of the X68000 games I've been playing recently based on graphics (especially Geograph Seal; which, by the way, is a fucking awesome game... it kinda looks like the SNES Star Fox, but runs way smoother).
Offending people is a necessary and healthy act... Every time you say something that's offensive to another person, you just caused a discussion. You just forced them to have to think. - Louis C.K.
Thanked by:
Eternal Filena was the trigger for playing the game, but I also intended to rip from it.
[Image: dariC.png][Image: tumblr_mlf109xOe81rmu6i5o1_250.gif][Image: b0KxM.gif]
Thanked by:
I discovered Shantae through a sprite sheet I saw years ago. I got curious and decided to play it.

Thanked by: recme
Plenty. More than I can even name at this point. I intend to simply rip from them but then get hooked.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
God so many... Shantae, Little Samson, Moon Crystal, Gimmick!, Metal Slug, Rendering Ranger, Demon's Crest - just to name a few.
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
(01-24-2015, 02:40 PM)Dazz Wrote: I intend to simply rip from them but then get hooked.
This sums up my answer for this thread.

Thanks VGR for introducing good games to me because I wanted to rip things.
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

Thanked by:
Mr.Gimmick is so bootiful q_q
Thanked by: Goemar, BullockDS, recme
None that I specifically remember, but I may have.
Thanked by:
Majority of arcade games i wanted to check out due to their graphics. Especially due to being superior to their console ports.
And i do mean superior, compare most of Sega, Konami and Capcom's arcade games to the ported versions.

There's also Heretic and Hexen, two fantasy FPS games sharing the same universe. Helps that it was built with the DooM engine.
And of course Strife, the last DooM engine game made. Even better now it's being re-released on Steam and Humble Bundle (GOG too possibly)
[Image: sonamy_animtitle_by_retrobunyip-dbg86ov.gif]
Thanked by: Chris2Balls [:B]
Kirby Super Star Ultra. The incredibly tough pink puff looks cuuuute on that game! Cute
[Image: tumblr_mzx6bm02eC1s38z45o1_500.gif]
Anonymous Wrote:...the world is so much simpler if you just dont give a FUCK...
I did see Elebits: The Adventures of Kai and Zero sprites on here once, I didn't look at any sprites closely but the icons looked cool so I intend to play it sometime. Sometimes I do look at sprites of games I've played before though, which make me want to play them again.

I have started to generally appreciate sprites in games more since I started ripping. And when looking at game trailers/screenshots/whatever, I pay more attention to the graphics than before. I used to be largely focused on the gameplay more than anything else.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
Gee, now which Mario RPG left a lasting impact on me with it's art style and story to the point that I'm even attempting to emulate that kind of experience for myself? Tongue
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by: