Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Victory Among Others / Crushing Defeat (Best and Worst in Franchise)
Didn't see a thread like this anywhere, thought it would be interesting.

Basically, pick a video game franchise of your choosing, single out the best and the worst entry. Doesn't matter if you've played every game in the series, just go off of the ones you've experienced. Discuss why you chose what you did. Why was it so good? What could have made it better?

Just so this post has some meaning, I'll share my thoughts on Metroid I guess.

Super Metroid
I can't rave about this game enough. The story (yeah, I said it), the graphical accomplishment, gameplay, and general feel of the game is something I haven't experienced from a Metroid game, since. The feeling of loneliness is completely amplified by the haunting music, environments, and indigenous creatures. The bosses weren't always hard, but figuring out how to beat them (Draygon gave me so much trouble for the most ridiculous reasons) was always so much fun. The ending too...

Metroid (NES)
This is where things upset me. There's never been a Metroid game I truly don't like (Never played Other M, probably not going to) but this would have to take the cake for the weakest link in the franchise, which is bs because it was the original. It suffers from the crummy thing called "time". As a game, it's super fun, one of the best for the Nintendo Entertainment System, but comparing it to later games, it just can't compete.

Eager to see some others. Be nice, don't trash anyone for there opinions. An opinion like this is completely singular and has nothing to do with anyone but the one giving it. Please respect that. That however does not mean you can't discuss things, you can disagree, but try not to be a total dick about it if possible and explain why you disagree with some smarts, and everything will go great. ^__^
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

Thanked by: recme
I have several franchises where I have games that I love and hate, but I don't think anything tops my thoughts on Pokemon because of how much of a nerd I am. Sticking to the main series on this one.

Heart Gold and Soul Silver are my favorite entries in the series. Not out of sheer nostalgia from it being just remakes of an old game, but these two versions expanded on a lot of the stuff that was in both johto and kanto and most of this was due to greater technical features that the DS had compared to the original games. Frankly, I personally would want to play one of the games in these entries again because out of all the pokemon games these two have the most content given that there are two regions, 16 gyms, and a shit ton of things to do in the game if you followed the events. A runner up to this choice and probably the only one in the near future top HG and SS is Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, but that all depends on how the games are gonna be handled by game freak because there has been alot of speculation on whether or not there will be DLC or there will be another version or set of versions in the 6th generation.)

Now if I had to choose my least favorite set of versions in the series, I would honestly have to say the first versions of Black and White were my least favorites as separate entries. I don't hate the games per say and still like them because it showed how Game freak was willing to experiment with the idea of having a more developed story in a pokemon game. While it was cool and all to have that story the fact that there hardly was anything to do once you beat that story unless you had the other games, in other words not much of a post game. And another weakness that sort of plays into generation 5 as a whole, if you really want more out of Unova you had to get pokemon Black 2 and White 2 because the games ended on a cliffhanger. In the end it felt like a slap to the face because if you wanted to enjoy the story of it you'd have to get one version and the other, but if you only cared about having a lot to do in the games you were better off just getting B2 or W2. Looking back I just don't think Generation 5 was a really well executed generation, even to the point where I actually think Diamond and Pearl were actually decent games compared to that.
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
Thanked by: Shade
Pokemon
Crystal and HG/SS are the Best. Lots of content, plenty of post-game, nostalgia, music, Rocket, 16 badges, Pokemon Trainer Red...what's not to love? Runner up would be Black and White 2, in terms of content, and the fact that everything animated; all trainers, all mons...World Tournament, etc. Lots of shiny things in those two.

Black and White are the worst in terms of gameplay progression. They're the most story driven in the series thus far, which honestly isn't saiing much, but that doesn't excuse the boring linear design, the lackluster post-game, and the exclusive usage of the new mons only.

Zelda
Oracle of Seasons and Ages are the best. You can't just pick one, since they go hand in hand. Linked story, lots of content, lots of unique puzzle and dungeon mechanics, lots of secrets, and the epitome of the 2D Zelda franchise, next to a Link to the Past. The games could've done with having not-so-linear dungeon progression, and a more open overworld, though. Zelda was originally founded on the basis of exploring, after all, so being railroaded the whole time is hardly exploring.
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Thanked by:
Best Kirby game

Returns to dreamland, fantastic game, finally out of limbo after being cancelled on the GCN, What I really like about it is how each ability has various attacks now instead of one or two.

Worst Kirby Game.

Kirby dreamland 3, it's not that terrible but, compared to other games in the series, it's rrreeeallly slow, some of the puzzles required for Darkmatters final form are almost gamefaqs help difficult, and some of the abilities aren't great even with an animal partner.
[Image: JSW7XoM.png][Image: M9AUckK.png]
Thanked by: recme
choosing which Kirby game is the best is like choosing where you wanna go eat pizza. its pizza, so most people dont care which store they get pizza, unless...they dont like pizza (im looking at you, zadaben). MOST kirby games are good, but if i had to choose one, it would be Kirby Super Star Ultra. this game is packed with content, has nice redone graphics, and has a great soundtrack from the original game. it has a lot of replay value, depending on how you play it.

Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
isnt that good of a game in terms of control. sure, the aesthetic of the game was nice, but it didnt make me continue playing the game. kirby moves like a tank, which makes performing fast actions difficult. combining abilities are fun and stuff, but some of them are useless if you're trying to attack with them. also, it stills bothers me on why the developers removed the ability of flying infinitely.
[Image: XeE6VeC.gif]
Thanked by: ~Axis~
The sonic franchise has had some good highs and some real lows.

Sonic Colors
This game was one of the best in ages. It gave players a twist on how to use Sonics abilities by using wisps. The level designs uncouraged both speed and exploration. Great replay value with the red rings. They brought back Super Sonic in normal stages too! The boss battles and stages had a decent difficuly level. Not to mention the story. I enjoyed the comedy in it and the relationship that Sonic, Tails and Wisps had. They really hit the nail on the head with this one.

Sonic Boom
This game's gameplay just sucks in my taste. Horrid glitches. THE NAGGING WITH BOUNCE PADS AND OTHER OBVIOUS STUFF. The game made me feel stupid. I havent played this game in full, but five minutes of it was enough to make me throw the controller at the screen.
[Image: tumblr_mzx6bm02eC1s38z45o1_500.gif]
Anonymous Wrote:...the world is so much simpler if you just dont give a FUCK...
Thanked by: