Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Competitive Gaming Thread
So everyone has that game where they try to be the best at. Who all plays a game competively here? Pokemon, Smasg, CoD, or Starcraft? Do you just watch? Etc etc. why do you enjoy what you do

I play Smash 64 compatibly. The hitstun is pretty ridiculous and combos can get pretty hype. It's also arguably one of the most balanced Smash Bros, and the overly offensive style can really get my blood flowing. I watch the other Smashes, and I also watch competitive TF2
[Image: 803ce84258.gif]
Thanked by:
i enjoy watching competitive melee. i cant say i enjoy playing it since i dont have a copy of melee on me. hell, i cant say i enjoy playing competitively since i get very pissed easily.
[Image: XeE6VeC.gif]
Thanked by:
The only game I play that's competitive is Puyo Puyo. But I don't even play it competitively, I just play it to test my limits.

I mean, really, look how fun this is~
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Thanked by: StarSock64
amsa amsa amsa
[Image: sxv5uJR.gif]
Thanked by: [robo9], recme, Shade, Iceman404
I don't really play anything competitively as far as participating in communities, but I do rank pretty well in the Pikmin 3 Mission Mode leader boards. Watching some videos, there's a whole lot I could be doing better to really be up there, but I'd like to say I'm definitely a "Minor League" Pikmin Player.
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by:
(01-04-2015, 12:19 AM)recme Wrote: i enjoy watching competitive melee. i cant say i enjoy playing it since i dont have a copy of melee on me. hell, i cant say i enjoy playing competitively since i get very pissed easily.

If you have a Wii, it's easy to set a Melee ISO. There's plenty of guides, and the 20XX pack is fucking great

Also fuck yes, love me some Amsa. The dude is pretty much single handily doing to Yoshi what Mango and HBox did for Puff
Thanked by: recme, BullockDS
Received a new GameCube memory card for Christmas, so I've recently gone through and unlocked everything again in Melee. It makes me even more upset with what Smash U became, honestly. :<

Anyway, I've considered going to play with some guys who host a Saturday night smash tournament every week, just to hone my skills a bit. Been playing this game since it was released, and I still can't do crap, frankly. We'll see how that goes I guess.
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

Thanked by: recme, BullockDS
I that case, I'm sure you'll love this fun fact. If Nintendo couldn't get Sakurai on board for Brawl, the 3rd Smash would have been an HD port of Melee with a couple of characters added in.

I also just watched one of the best melee sets I've seen in a while between Wetsballz and some dude named Tai. I'm sure someone recorded it from stream, I'll probably post it or something
Thanked by: recme, Shade
(01-04-2015, 12:33 AM)Sportoise Wrote: If you have a Wii, it's easy to set a Melee ISO. There's plenty of guides, and the 20XX pack is fucking great

would it work on wii u? i mean, if you have a gamecube adapter and stuff, that stuff should work on wii mode.
[Image: XeE6VeC.gif]
Thanked by:
I don't really play much competitively, partly because most of my favourite games don't really have multiplayer or competitive options. Most games that do I've often played rather casually, or tried and not really gotten into. As an example for the former, when I played Awesomenauts I did my best but I never really became intent on improving and rising up the ladder. An example of the latter would be Dota 2, which isn't bad but isn't my cup of tea (although I might give it another shot, I only have 4 hours of game time).

I suppose Hearthstone is probably the most competitive game I play because it's almost exclusively PvP, and I play almost every day. I'm not that great and have only ever gotten to rank 18 (it's not that high) but I feel like I'm slowly getting better. I have recently been focusing a bit more on forming my decks better.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
I used to play SSBB with my cousin and we always wanted to be better than each other. We used to turn all items off and start with rather high damage and see who would win. Sometimes we would team up and see if we could beat the CPUs on hard, by the time we did (if we did Tongue), we would fight eachother right there. (we would gave sustained a lot of damage by then so it would kind of be like instant death). I watch people playing against eachother on Halo 4. Its wonderful to see them blast aniens to death and I wish I could play but i cant make heads or tails of the controls and strategy so I just settle for watching em go at it.
[Image: tumblr_mzx6bm02eC1s38z45o1_500.gif]
Anonymous Wrote:...the world is so much simpler if you just dont give a FUCK...
Thanked by:
One of the guys at facts is a speedrunner and is gonna be on the couch at AGDQ for Shinobi III. He is going to be hosting on the 8th from Awful Games into The Ninja Block.
https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule
http://www.vgfacts.com/forums/thread-2277.html
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Thanked by: BullockDS
I'm a competitive SSB Melee player, and thanks to me and a group of buddies, the competitive Melee scene's exploded on my campus; we've even gotten the school to help sponsor tourneys. I'm the 4th best on my campus at the moment (Peach for the win).

Aside from Melee, I do a bit of Soul Calibur II, Mario Kart (especially 64, Double Dash, and 8), and competitive speedrunning (a buddy and I see who can beat a game first; we mostly do Mega Man games).
Offending people is a necessary and healthy act... Every time you say something that's offensive to another person, you just caused a discussion. You just forced them to have to think. - Louis C.K.
(01-04-2015, 01:46 PM)BullockDS Wrote: Soul Calibur II

How does this work considering the three different versions of the game? Is there an agreed upon version that's standard for competitive play? Are the guest characters simply not allowed to be utilized? What happens when a Link main is set against a Spawn main?
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
(01-04-2015, 01:52 PM)Kriven Wrote:
(01-04-2015, 01:46 PM)BullockDS Wrote: Soul Calibur II

How does this work considering the three different versions of the game? Is there an agreed upon version that's standard for competitive play? Are the guest characters simply not allowed to be utilized? What happens when a Link main is set against a Spawn main?
No clue about "official" standards (if any), but everyone on my campus who plays does the Gamecube version. Just as well, since I play Link.
Offending people is a necessary and healthy act... Every time you say something that's offensive to another person, you just caused a discussion. You just forced them to have to think. - Louis C.K.
Thanked by: Kriven