Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Miru's Interested in Modeling, guys
Inspired by some of my heroes in the 3D modeling industry (Especially Nibroc and his Sonic World project), I've decided to join the world of freely available models of your favorite characters! I hate it when people keep their precious Sonic 3D models to themselves, so i'll share mine to the world. 

First up, here's my current project, a small one. It's a low-poly Blaze the Cat.

[Image: low_poly_blaze_wip_by_theautisticonenamedm-d8bvcgw.png]
I just have to work on fixing her paws and making a texture and rig for her. Then she'll be made available. 

I also plan on doing Freedom Planet models as well.
Thanked by:
I think you should focus on making her less cube-y. Sonic designs are very round with a lot of curves.
Also, I don't think it will rig well with only one loop in the areas where joints would bend. There's a lot of distortion when that happens.
It's a good start, though! Keep it up!
Thanked by: E-Man, Mystie, ~Axis~, recme
(12-30-2014, 03:27 PM)miru Wrote: Inspired by some of my heroes in the 3D modeling industry (Especially Nibroc and his Sonic World project), I've decided to join the world of freely available models of your favorite characters! I hate it when people keep their precious Sonic 3D models to themselves, so i'll share mine to the world. 

First up, here's my current project, a small one. It's a low-poly Blaze the Cat.

[Image: low_poly_blaze_wip_by_theautisticonenamedm-d8bvcgw.png]
I just have to work on fixing her paws and making a texture and rig for her. Then she'll be made available. 

I also plan on doing Freedom Planet models as well.

Right now this is ultra-low-poly. It's incredibly blocky and primitive, and your You can allow yourself a lot more flexibility in your model and still fit most low-poly standards. I do have one really big question, though, and it's one I get asked every time I show off a model: Where is your reference material?

In Blender you can really easily insert virtual reference planes onto the background, and I would strongly recommend finding a good reference picture for at least front and side views. This will let you ensure you have things well proportioned, and that you get a good resemblance to your reference. As Virt mentioned, the designs for Sonic characters are very smooth and flowing, with curves everywhere. At the very least, the joints should be made with 2-3 loops so you can better control how they bend. I'll be happy to provide some more feedback tomorrow.

Note: I know I'm new, but that doesn't mean I'm inexperienced. Been modeling for 10+ years, primarily studying character techniques. I'll Show yáll some of my modeling and texturing soon, one a day when I don't have day-work.
Thanked by: ~Axis~, Vipershark, Virt, Shade, recme
I gave my Blaze model a subsurfing and added a reference image for her. Also made a few more tweaks.

If the image doesn't display, click here

[Image: blaze_subsurf_and_reference_by_theautist...8fp0w4.png]
Thanked by:
... It says the page doesn't exist...
[Image: rHiHaRN.jpg]
Thanked by:
(01-28-2015, 08:16 AM)Joxon Wrote: ... It says the page doesn't exist...

I've updated the link. Should work better now.

And in case it does not, here it is.

Alternate Link

[Image: blaze_subsurf_and_reference_by_theautist...8fp0w4.png]
Thanked by:
Great improvement but she still looks too cubey. If you look at character models from Sonic R, Sonic Jam and SM64 they doesn't look cubey at all, and they are low-poly models too.
Thanked by: E-Man
I'll be blunt: this model is bad. But I'll tell you why

When you create a model, even if low poly, is that you need to abide to the character's blueprint (hell, you're using a blueprint but your model looks nothing like the image).

The model looks like a doodle, as in 'I'm just placing random solids and making a shape out of it, regardless of its efficiency' and while it's ok if you don't intend to animate it or anything, the lack of logic when placing the polygons really bring the whole stuff down.

Sonic chars have really tiny torso and long and thin limbs, however your model is excessively blocky. I don't use blender for modelling but some of the basics are present in all modelling apps: there is a way to configure Blender so you can see the same model in two different perspectives, use that extensively to accurately place vertexes in a 3D view (when modelling, both the front view and the side view must match with the blueprint: or else it's wrong).

Aside from this, no one bends legs outward like this, it's too unnatural and you should redo that part. same with her breasts, they're literally extruded bricks and look terrible even when low-poly is concerned. Look for similar low-poly models, study the placements and try replicating them. If that's too much, at least look for more in-detail YT tutorials about modelling, I remember seeing quite a few that were good for practicing and if you're bold enough, you can master a lot of the techniques in a couple tries.

I am a rookie modeller myself and the difference of apps (I use 3DS Max) may get in the way but if you need some more pointers I could be of use.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by:
Detail- for going for such a low-poly style, it's a bit odd you're wasting polygons in giving a chest to the one character where one of the points of her design is her lean, flat body :V
Thanked by: