Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Physical DLC Thread [Toys-To-Life. amiibo, etc.]
I didn't see an amiibo thread so I figured I'd make one. But then I felt like it'd be unfair to make it amiibo-only, so I guess this'll be a catch-all thread for amiibo/Skylanders/Disney Infinity/whatever you like to collect that sits on a platform and comes to life in a videogame.

Basically: post here about whatever about these stupid figurines. Buying them, displaying them, painting them, whatever. If you want to talk about getting them that's fine too ('cos if we only talked about having them, then it'd go in the real-life 'buy stuff' thread)

One golden rule though: Don't do anything in this thread that would get you banned from TSR. Don't try to sell or trade the ones you already own in this thread either - especially if you're trying to do so at a higher price. We're a forum of hobbyists, not people trying to screw one another out of a few extra bucks. Sorry.
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by:
Went to the store today to pick up the Captain Falcon and Zelda amiibo I pre-ordered. They didn't have it yet. So I got Yoshi instead.
Now I have Mario, Link, Samus, Fox, Kirby and Yoshi. Just need Peach, DK, Luigi and Captain Falcon and I'll have all race suits in MK8. The Fox suit is my favorite so far, but that'll probably change once I have Captain Falcon.
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
My Game Maker games (Dropbox download links):

Thanked by: Kriven
Part of why I made this thread is partly to vent. I also made this post to help my pals. :0)
Nintendo did it again. This is literally the Wii in 2006 all over again.

The thing is, though, it's just like it was in 2006-2007 - it's an artificial shortage due to some botched numbers in a boardroom. Only a set amount of figures are made with each shipment, and chances are all of the amiibo will be available at some point in time. Nintendo isn't discontinuing any amiibo; they probably will down the line, but they're not gonna stop making figurines that are practically printing them money.

Though, if you don't care about that and want them right now, the amiibo that people actually want are so goddamn hard to find. Part of why I made this thread is hopefully helping others find the amiibo they're looking for (of course, without buying or trading). Capitalism at its best.

In the US, at least, the odds of finding a boxed Villager, Marth or Wii Fit Trainer for purchase in a store is about on par with riding a unicorn IRL...actually, the odds of finding any of the characters you actually like who aren't actual flagship Nintendo characters is about the same chance. I've called a few department stores and all of them have claimed there's a nutjob who's been waiting since opening who came in and bought all of that one specific character.

I've also heard in other countries that these same characters aren't really that rare, and in fact, their limited-stock ones are completely different characters (it's impossible to find Kirby in Spain, for example, but Villager is quite abundant). If there's any users in England, France, Brazil, etc. are there actually shortages of different characters from the US, or is it about the same?

So, if you're looking for those hard to find amiibo, here's my suggestions:

- DON'T BUY FROM SCALPERS ON EBAY OR AMAZON. I can't say this enough. Villager is rare, yeah - but he's not $50 rare. He's more like...eh, $12.99 rare. Okay, maybe $14.99 rare. Point being: save yourself some money, and don't feed into scalping.

- If you live near the NY metro area, the Nintendo World Store frequently gets ALL of the Amiibo in stock with each shipment. If there's a particular amiibo you're looking for, they'll post an update on their Twitter account. The only downside is that once they do, people drop everything and flock to the store, which turns into a madhouse as everyone is scrambling for amiibo. So basically, if you don't work in Manhattan and can't take a lunch break around then, you're pretty much screwed. :/

- AMIIBO ARE REGION FREE. So you can buy a Japanese amiibo and create an American profile on the amiibo just fine.
If you're okay with paying a little more for some peace of mind, you can order from Play-Asia (from Japan, I've heard this is cheapest?), or easier yet, Amazon's French or German website (your Amazon account, if you have one, will work on any international site EXCEPT Amazon China or Japan). Most of the figurines there are still all 12.99 EUR and in stock. It's nice, too because it'll calculate your total in USD when you go to check out.
However, if you're buying from Europe, shipping is at least $16 overseas, even for economy shipping...so just be like, prepared for that.
Or, just buy more than 1 and it'll be sort of worth it. Sort of.
I'd suggest this for those hard-to-find amiibo, or even the store-exclusive preorder amiibo if you're having trouble securing those. The foreign boxes are pretty cool, too - what with the Japanese Smash logo, or "Villager" in six different languages going down the side of the box.
The downside though is that if it's being shipped from overseas, you're really gambling on what condition the box (or figure itself) is going to be in. Judging from all those pictures you see on the internet of upside-down and broken amiibo...you're also taking that chance. :/
From experience, I've ordered things from Amazon.de and my items arrived just fine - but I'm just giving fair warning. u_u;

- I suppose you could also follow amiibo communities, like the /r/amiibo subreddit for news on amiibo and if retailers get them in stock. There's plenty of other neat information on there, and I think there's even a spreadsheet of availability that is regularly tended to on there, too.

So yeah. amiibo.

I'll post about my own amiibo in a bit, but I wanted to type a little bit of an informative post for all my pallies on VGR. :0)

(12-19-2014, 10:42 AM)NICKtendo DS Wrote: Went to the store today to pick up the Captain Falcon and Zelda amiibo I pre-ordered. They didn't have it yet. So I got Yoshi instead.
Now I have Mario, Link, Samus, Fox, Kirby and Yoshi. Just need Peach, DK, Luigi and Captain Falcon and I'll have all race suits in MK8. The Fox suit is my favorite so far, but that'll probably change once I have Captain Falcon.

I literally bought the Fox amiibo because it's the best costume in MK8, hands down (plus, I can actually play a half-decent Fox in Smash, soooo) I wish I had friends though, so they could come over and spread the amiibo love to my MK8.

I wonder if they'll update the racer outfits though, with upcoming waves of amiibo.
(dibs on Team Duck Hunt in MK8)
Thanked by: recme
I have Samus, Link, Fox, DK, and Yoshi so far. With Pit, Captain Falcon, Dedede and Megaman pre-ordered.

This whole amiibo business is like a catch all version of Jingle all the way.
[Image: JSW7XoM.png][Image: M9AUckK.png]
(12-19-2014, 12:02 PM)Omega Wrote: This whole amiibo business is like a catch all version of Jingle all the way.

All we need now is a Skylander that has a working toy cannon/gun to set things up for a reenactment of a Christmas Story.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:
Funny. Last time I went to my local Toys 'R Us (last week or so), there were a bunch of amiibo on the shelves. A lot of Wii Fit Trainers and Villagers were there. Massachusetts must be in the middle of nowhere.

I plan to get amiibos of most of my mains. I've only got Kirby so far, and I plan to get Luigi and Yoshi next.
Thanked by: E-Man
I asked for an Amiibo of Kirby for Christmas, along with SSB4 on Wii U. Hopefully I get them.
Thanked by:
(12-19-2014, 12:27 PM)MrYoshbert Wrote: Funny.   Last time I went to my local Toys 'R Us (last week or so), there were a bunch of amiibo on the shelves.  A lot of Wii Fit Trainers and Villagers were there.  Massachusetts must be in the middle of nowhere.

Congratulations for having a town not tainted by everything they read on the Internet. )':
Thanked by: E-Man, recme, Maxpphire
I bought a Kirby amiibo during Black Friday, and I got Mario, Pikachu, Yoshi, and Donkey Kong for my birthday. As far as I know, I'm supposed to be getting Luigi and Little Mac for Xmas.

I have Shull, Megaman, and King DeDeDe on preorder as well
[Image: 803ce84258.gif]
Thanked by:
(12-19-2014, 10:29 AM)Kosheh Wrote: One golden rule though: Don't do anything in this thread that would get you banned from TSR. Don't try to sell or trade the ones you already own in this thread either - especially if you're trying to do so at a higher price. We're a forum of hobbyists, not people trying to screw one another out of a few extra bucks. Sorry.

Hey would anyone like to buy my special double-cannon Samus figure?
Only six million dollars!

Hm? Hm. I don't know if I'll bother getting any figures as they don't unlock anything too special like stages or whatnot (yet?). My main is Toon Link so there is some chance I might get him when he comes out depending on how nice he looks. Possibly Lucina and Lucario too but I'm not sure.
(12-19-2014, 02:34 PM)Lemonray Wrote:
(12-19-2014, 10:29 AM)Kosheh Wrote: One golden rule though: Don't do anything in this thread that would get you banned from TSR. Don't try to sell or trade the ones you already own in this thread either - especially if you're trying to do so at a higher price. We're a forum of hobbyists, not people trying to screw one another out of a few extra bucks. Sorry.

Hey would anyone like to buy my special double-cannon Samus figure?
Only six million dollars!
I'll take it! That's a steal!

Probably gonna' buy Bowser and Samus with Christmas money. Who knows, maybe one of my siblings will be awesome and grab me one.
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

Thanked by:
I'm planning to get Mega Man and Sonic, but it's a little early for me to pre-order that. I'm interested in Bowser, but I'm curious to see what Nintendo'll do for him and the others from after wave 2.
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
My Game Maker games (Dropbox download links):

Thanked by:
You know, I'm more interested in the functionality of amiibo rather than their looks. Considering that amiibo are meant to be compatible with a lot of games, I'm curious as what they'll do in some of them.

Yeah, they turn into figure fighters in Smash, give you costumes in MK8, and unlock weapons in Hyrule Warriors... but then we get to stuff like Mario Maker and Yoshi's Woolly World. How the hell are they gonna work there?
I could see the Wooly World one doing something like offering different colors of wool for Yoshi's "skin", like a yellow one for Pikachu and pink for Kirby etc. Remember, not every Amiibo character has to have a function with every Amiibo-capable game, just a select few.

I imagine for Mario Party it will function similarly to the mii costumes in Mario Kart.

For Kirby Rainbow Curse ... maybe some new forms for Kirby?
(12-19-2014, 07:01 PM)MrYoshbert Wrote: You know, I'm more interested in the functionality of amiibo rather than their looks.  Considering that amiibo are meant to be compatible with a lot of games, I'm curious as what they'll do in some of them.

Yeah, they turn into figure fighters in Smash, give you costumes in MK8, and unlock weapons in Hyrule Warriors... but then we get to stuff like Mario Maker and Yoshi's Woolly World.  How the hell are they gonna work there?

One Piece: Super Grand Battle was recently announced for the 3DS recently, along with its support for the Smash Bros amiibo.
That makes it the first third-party game to make use of amiibo
and oh by the way

It just unlocks alternate costumes for playable characters, but oh my god they look fucking amazing