Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
SNES-Style Mixel Sprites-CANCELLED
Hey people, I am planning on doing SNES-style sprites for every character in the Mixels franchise. Here's what I have so far.

From left to right: the uncreative Nixels, the Spikel Scorpi and the Frosticon Flurr.

[Image: snes_styled_mixels_sprites_by_theyoshistate-d8abg6n.png]

I will be updating this with more characters until it's all completed.

I hope you like my sprites!

EDIT: Here's a list of what's done:

Next up: the Glorp Corporal Glomp, the Electroid Volectro and the Cragster Shuff.
Thanked by:
If you're looking for critiques, I would say that smoothing out the outlines is the way to go. As they are, they are very jagged.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:
Next up to be given a sprite-the 2014 Infernite Flain. I've made two versions of him-one with the flame and one without. In addition, the outline is a lot improved and the sprite is now more of a realistic size.

EDIT: Image replaced, see below.
Thanked by:
Not sure what you mean by "realistic size". Are you using a scale for these or something?

As for the outlines, the eyes and arms are still very jagged. Also, I think you should work on fixing your previous sprites before doing another character.
Thanked by: E-Man
(12-19-2014, 11:31 AM)Midi Wrote: Not sure what you mean by "realistic size". Are you using a scale for these or something?

As for the outlines, the eyes and arms are still very jagged. Also, I think you should work on fixing your previous sprites before doing another character.

Made some changes.

[Image: KIlzmvq.png]

Also, the scale I'm using is that of the height of the main Buster Bunny sprites in Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose, which was released on the SNES.
Thanked by:
The arms look a little stiff, but at least they're smoother. The eyes still look like octagons.

Oh, and put the old image back up. It helps when people can see your progress.
Thanked by: E-Man
(12-19-2014, 02:31 PM)Midi Wrote: The arms look a little stiff, but at least they're smoother. The eyes still look like octagons.

Oh, and put the old image back up. It helps when people can see your progress.

Okay. I've already did some more work on the eyes and am now doing a revamped Flurr sprite.

EDIT: Well, here it is.
[Image: DMB1AJS.png]
Thanked by:
The fire looks really pillow-shaded and the new pose of the Flurr just look like all you did was just flip his wings upside down with no change in shading. The red one also looks like he's leaning back.
God is good.  Big Grin

An old fart who sits on a chair, giving animation and pixeling advice,... and calls everyone son...
Thanked by:
(12-19-2014, 05:44 PM)SmithyGCN Wrote: The fire looks really pillow-shaded and the new pose of the Flurr just look like all you did was just flip his wings upside down with no change in shading. The red one also looks like he's leaning back.

First, I'll try to fix that.

Second, looks like you may be right. Here's an example showing his wings pointing down and thus flipped.
[Image: Woooo.jpg]

Finally, if you look carefully, Flain's not leaning back at all. I based his sprite off of his official image:
[Image: 41500_Flain_b.png]

Thanks though.
Thanked by:
What is this "SNES style" that you're spriting them in? Is there a particular game on the SNES that you're aiming for, or what?
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
(12-19-2014, 06:59 PM)Vipershark Wrote: What is this "SNES style" that you're spriting them in? Is there a particular game on the SNES that you're aiming for, or what?

Not a particular single one-mostly the ones where the character sprites are similar sizes.

UPDATE: Pasted in Scorpi from my old sprites-resized him and removed most of the resulting jaggedness. Also added the Cubits.

[Image: 9EgO4Qe.png]

Up next: the Flexer Tentro, the Electroid Zaptor and the Fang Gangster Chomly.
Thanked by:
Finally got Tentro done-it was a bit hard.

[Image: snes_styled_mixels_sprites_redux_by_they...8adud3.png]
Thanked by:
(12-19-2014, 06:45 PM)TheYoshiState Wrote:
(12-19-2014, 05:44 PM)SmithyGCN Wrote: The fire looks really pillow-shaded and the new pose of the Flurr just look like all you did was just flip his wings upside down with no change in shading. The red one also looks like he's leaning back.

First, I'll try to fix that.

Second, looks like you may be right. Here's an example showing his wings pointing down and thus flipped.
[Image: Woooo.jpg]

Finally, if you look carefully, Flain's not leaning back at all. I based his sprite off of his official image:
[Image: 41500_Flain_b.png]

Thanks though.
Um, no, he isn't in his official art, but your sprite is leaning back.
God is good.  Big Grin

An old fart who sits on a chair, giving animation and pixeling advice,... and calls everyone son...
Thanked by:
The wings weren't even flipped in the reference picture you used. They were rotated.
Thanked by:
Fixed Flain and Flurr based on your comments.

Zaptor will be the next in line. UPDATE: Added Zaptor.
Thanked by: