Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
BattleBlock Theater Custom Heads
Kosheh suggested making custom heads for BattleBlock Theater, I made one, figured a thread would be good for anybody else making them as well. If someone thinks this goes better in Game Development (since it's modding) then feel free to move it there.

So yeah, whipped up my ref in like 5 minutes in GIMP:

[Image: i8tCmHggXAtoV.png]

I'll try remake it to look better and fit the style of the original faces... someday. It's still not bad though, I made it simply to test it out anyway.

Share any heads you make here, so we can use them as well and laugh when they explode as they most surely will.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
yep yep, good. yep.

[Image: tUdnjMK.png]
mee
I tried super duper hard to keep to the game's style, and I think it paid off. I don't even remember how the hell I managed to get it to look halfway decent, but I'm pretty dang proud of it. I think I use line tools in Photoshop...? I honestly don't remember...
My head is a little squished in the videogame, but it doesn't bother me that much.

and this is what kosheh looks like in the video game

[Image: LeNlMTN.png]

Feel free to plop my character head in your Photoshop template to get an idea of where the head's supposed to be in your image.

personally though, when i play battleblock, i always tell my friends that thanks to custom heads, the fun will never be

[Image: ikaBnsK.png]

ogre Shreksual Healing

Here's the reference image if you need it (so you can see if your head fits on your shoulders without looking weird)

[Image: 1f78g3.jpg]

And here's a poster containing ALL of the useable heads in the game if you're looking to match the game's aesthetic. [oops spoilers]

I might do more heads in the future - but like
not right now not at work.
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
(12-16-2014, 06:10 AM)puggsoy Wrote: So yeah, whipped up my ref in like 5 minutes in GIMP:

[Image: i8tCmHggXAtoV.png]

I'll try remake it to look better and fit the style of the original faces... someday.

You don't have to.

:h: [Image: D1o6cMX.png] :h:
:h: [Image: QS5lhPC.png] :h:
[The above image is a screenshot from a dramatization]

It'll be kind of fun watching your performer's head spin around when you do a backflip.

And no guys, I'm not taking requests. You're just gonna have to get super lucky. >:{{{{
Since I've been playing BattleBlock Theater lately, I feel like making one of my own too.

I'll post it once I make it. All of yours look great by the way!
Thanked by: puggsoy
Oh awesome, thanks Kosheh! Looks great!

(12-16-2014, 11:52 AM)Kosheh Wrote: You have the ribbon around the hat like Layton does (yours didn't make sense around the top of the hat - sorry. It was also impossible to figure out the perspective of it, too. And if it's supposed to be a glossy shine...oops. sorry)

In a reference character, let alone a game where cats SPEW GRENADES FROM THEIR MOUTHS I don't think making sense is really a priority. I put ribbon/band thing near the top so that my character didn't look to much like Layton. Same with the nose and eyes. It's OK though, I mean everybody knows he's based off of Layton and I might redesign him to share these traits anyway.
One small thing is that the hat should ideally be flat at the top, not a huge issue though so don't sweat it.

Your lines look real clean and solid btw, much more than mine. Not sure if I can do anything for that with GIMP, as far as I can tell there isn't a real line tool I can use to make bent lines and such (I could trace paths I guess but those are weird to use). Also how did you get clean shots like that with a white background?
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
ty C:

(12-16-2014, 09:04 PM)puggsoy Wrote: It's OK though, I mean everybody knows he's based off of Layton and I might redesign him to share these traits anyway.
One small thing is that the hat should ideally be flat at the top, not a huge issue though so don't sweat it.

Your lines look real clean and solid btw, much more than mine. Not sure if I can do anything for that with GIMP, as far as I can tell there isn't a real line tool I can use to make bent lines and such (I could trace paths I guess but those are weird to use). Also how did you get clean shots like that with a white background?

I was going to flatten the hat, but then I kinda went against it. I realized while drawing the hat that I was using the cylindrical head as the base, and it looked weird with a dopey top hat, so I went with the rounded top (though looking at it now, I could probably soften the curve...)

It also looks sort of ridiculous to have a flat-drawn hat on a curved head. It's two clashing perspectives.

I might revisit it tomorrow to add a small shine to the hat to differentiate it some more from Layton. :V
Thanked by: puggsoy
[Image: z188DwX.png] [Image: ov5NDpZ.png]

[Image: PBs90HA.png] [Image: ggFY1Rc.png] [Image: 4AG6zzH.png] [Image: P5rFGUH.png]
o m f g

SHIT

SHIT

GSDGHDSFGDSGSGDJSHAKSFHFGGTFSFFH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaa
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: recme, puggsoy, Kosheh
Haven't played BBT but, eh this looked fun.

[Image: CIPismO.png][Image: BBqrURO.png]

[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Thanked by: puggsoy, Kosheh
[Image: 6Sfdh9x.png]

"i have many hobbies. one of them is spriting.
the other is crocheting batman pajamas.
not like pajamas with batman symbols on them
i mean pajamas specifically crocheted for batman"
[Image: CCiy2Kj.png]
(12-18-2014, 12:28 AM)psychospacecow Wrote: Haven't played BBT but, eh this looked fun.

It's around $3.75 on Steam today (holiday sales) but it'll probably dip to half of that in the upcoming week or so. I recommend getting the Ultra Baby pack so you can play with a pal and --

(12-18-2014, 12:28 AM)psychospacecow Wrote:

oh SHIT

wait how can they see with that dumb mask on
Thanked by: psychospacecow
I imagine she has some difficulty with it because she takes it off pretty early on.
Thanked by: Kosheh
Question, I got some requests when I posted that Lucina on the fire emblem subreddit. Anyone else have any requests?
Thanked by:
Well I mean, if you could do Sportoise or something, that'd be pretty neat
[Image: 803ce84258.gif]
Thanked by: psychospacecow
Do you have a good mugshot I could base off of? I'll probably be doing like 4 of these at a time and I don't want to miss important details.
Thanked by: