Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Submitting audio of a mostly-audio game
So I have this game called Zombies, Run! 5k Training. It's basically phone a game where you run (in real life) while listening to instructions through your heaphones, but it's set in a zombie apocalypse. Pretty fun and healthy.

I was thinking about ripping audio from it, though. I'm not sure if it'd be very, uh, allowed to rip the voices. I mean, all of the instructions are just audio clips, without any music (you choose your own music), so technically it fits the sound effects guidelines. However, on the other hand, someone could effectively experience the crux of the game using these clips. The programming isn't there of course (delay between clips, speed/route tracking, recording progress online, etc), but people can still access all the instructions and play them themselves.

So yeah, basically, would or wouldn't this be allowed? I might not do it either way, but it's an interesting case that I figured might be worth discussing.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: psychospacecow
Personally, I believe it would fine. I get that it's basically made up of audio clips and all, but one couldn't completely experience what it is without playing it for themselves. Hell, just hearing the clips could even encourage someone to try it out. I say go for it if you feel like it.
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

Thanked by:
You've got a point. Still, I'm sure that some people would be content with simply making a playlist of the transmissions and pausing/playing them themselves. Personally, any non-audio features (route tracking etc) is a bonus, but the real heart of the game (and what you're mostly paying for) is in the audio transmissions.

By the way, just in case my explanations aren't really making sense (fully possible), here's the website, that might illustrate it better.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: Shade
I would actually ask Dazz about this.

This is one of those weirder things that might not be ok given how it is the very heart of the game itself, and not just pieces of the game to enjoy.
M A C H I N E G U N
         ⌒°。>◡<)⌒°
             /_▄︻し┻┳═一(いち)(いち)  ┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨
[Image: tumblr_mr2bjoHi1v1qh8espo1_400.gif][Image: NfIxSTK.gif]
Thanked by: puggsoy
I was hoping he might see this thread. I didn't PM him since I figured others' input is good as well (and it'd just be something others might be interested in too) but I might notify him since he may have missed this.
Thanked by:
I've been keeping an eye on this thread and I'm not entirely sure about what to do in this case myself. Sure, it technically fits within the site's guidelines but not within its spirit. For all other rips, you're not really getting any functional elements of the game. You can't recreate or otherwise experience any significant portion of a game with just its sprites or models. In this case, most of the game would be on offer, especially given that the rest of its features can somewhat comparably be replaced with other apps. So with that in mind, I'm inclined to say that you should probably avoid submitting anything from this game but I'm open to input from others here.
I'd say if the audio from it is so fundamental to the experience that it falls into the same sort of realm as a soundtrack, I don't think it would be ethical to distribute it like that.
Which I say with a grimace because there are plenty of other audio-centric games and programs I'd love to get the ripped samples from, but aside from glossing over any right/wrong decision I'll go ahead and just state that it would be "unfair" to the developer(s).

I'd say otherwise if it was something retro or unavailable for purchase, but you'd basically be giving away what they're selling for free.
B A N D C A M P - T W I T T E R - T U M B L R - Y O U T U B E - G 1 5
Call me aggressive, call me obscene,
but you've always called me sir when you've invaded my dreams.
I'd say no. PatientZero has exactly why. Considering the application is still being used and costs $8, I'd advise we don't get involved in this.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by: puggsoy
I figured that'd be the case. Just thought it'd be interesting to bring up since it's quite unique.

I won't attempt to rip from it then, no worries.
Thanked by: