Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
environment tiles
I've never actually made proper environment tiles before, so I've been giving it a shot

here's what i have right now (tiles on top, bottom is mock-up)

[Image: tile%20mockup%203.png]

my biggest concern is the grass itself; does it seem too noisy, or does it repeat too much?

I don't know, its my first time making grass..

Also, I'm aware that i could cut down on my tile total if i used transparency and overlayed tiles, but I like this way better Tongue

advice or critique is appreciated Smile
[Image: 22610_s.gif]

Thanked by: Chris2Balls [:B]
I think it is too noisy. At least, the portion with the lightest grass. If you only put that highlight at the tip of those blades, instead of along the whole thing, it'd probably help with that.
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Thanked by: Sevenstitch, Kitsu
i like this a lot actually. it reminds me of secret of mana--this would look right at home in a sequel to that game. i think it has the opposite issue from koh's crit; the dirt tiles look too flat compared to the grass. the grass has interesting texture, but the dirt is plain outside of the occasional clump/rock tiles. i'd suggest trying to give the dirt some minimal detail.
Thanked by: Sevenstitch, Kitsu, recme
The dark blue grass doesn't seem to mix well in my opinion. Or is it supposed to be in shadow?

Otherwise, nice work ;3!
Check out my progress with my custom game engine: http://solidspy24.deviantart.com/art/3d-...-545630172
Or listen to my music here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmey7fqtfDc

Thanked by:
The only issue I really see is that your changes in color all use the same pattern so they kind of stick out from each other.
Look at the "U" section near the middle with the light part surrounding the dark just under the grey strip there. Because the grass follows the same pattern even though the color changes, I feel like that sort of causes your eye to be able to see the pattern better since it continues to loop across the color change.

It's... kind of hard to express in words but it's sort of like... when I look at it, it just makes me... "predict" the pattern...? I dunno. My eye sort of "pulls out" the pattern by seeing it continue along the line of different colors.
Basically I guess what I'm trying to say is change up your pattern with each color, but try to get them to still blend together at the edges of each color change if possible. That will likely drastically increase your individual tile count but it would help a lot as far as realism goes, I think.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: Sevenstitch