Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
games that shouldent get a sequal EVER
hey i was wandering what are some games that you guys have played that you hope NEVER  get a sequal as in so bad you dont want a sequal for it ever. it can be from any system of any generation  cause alot of companys are making sequals to clasic games
Thanked by:
Sonic 06
[Image: jcKgJbX.png]
Thanked by:
Pretty much any of the new party games coming out... Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. for..., Mario Party U, Mario Tennis Open, that new Mario Golf... I'd rather these sorts of games were more like MMOs, with characters and content added on a regular basis and either in bulk (such as MK8's DLC packs) or cheaply ($2 for a character or track...) than get sequels. I mean, if they can come up with a new way to really change how the games are played, that's one thing that may deserve a sequel, but I think I'd rather see these games (and this can go for things like Pikmin 3 also, which should have more levels added) supported for the generation.

Edit: Even instances where they want to create a new game for story purposes, I'd rather they built it off what exists and release it as some kind of expansion similarly to how Super Luigi U is built into NSMBU. Again, unless they're going to change things greatly.
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
E.T., especially if its a mobile game.
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Thanked by: eureka
Half-Life 2

I haven't played many games that are necessarily bad enough to not make me want a sequel, but rather good games that are better as a one-off than a series. Bastion is a good example, in my opinion the story is best left as-is. Gemini Rue is another game I recently finished that really had a great ending, which a sequel would probably ruin. That's not to say I wouldn't play sequels to these games if they were made, but I'm more than content with there not being ones.

This doesn't include fan sequels or mods, though. Since they're not made by the original creators they're more like "what if" scenarios rather than official events in the game's universe.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
I'll be happy if there is never another The Urbz. It was just like The Sims but in a city and generally mediocre. Of course, I only have the ps2 version to reference but it was depressingly monotonous even from a sims standpoint.
Thanked by: eureka
Metroid Other M.

But knowing Sakomoto...
[Image: JSW7XoM.png][Image: M9AUckK.png]
Thanked by: eureka, Mystie
(10-16-2014, 09:17 PM)PuggsyEXPERT Wrote: Half-Life 2

I haven't played many games that are necessarily bad enough to not make me want a sequel, but rather good games that are better as a one-off than a series. Bastion is a good example, in my opinion the story is best left as-is. Gemini Rue is another game I recently finished that really had a great ending, which a sequel would probably ruin. That's not to say I wouldn't play sequels to these games if they were made, but I'm more than content with there not being ones.

This doesn't include fan sequels or mods, though. Since they're not made by the original creators they're more like "what if" scenarios rather than official events in the game's universe.

I agree with this. Some games shouldn't get sequels... but they SHOULD get spiritual sequels though. Games that have the same feel, most of the mechanics and heart as the original, but are clearly not the same game, and thus leave the stories of the "originals" untainted.

I'd like to throw in Live A Live as an example. There shouldn't be a Live a Live 2... but there should be something LIKE it out there, to pick up its torch and burn a new path of a similar type.
Christianity is my faith not my religion. And neither should be pushed upon people.
HELP-Need as much C+C and playtesting as I can get on my SHMUP Megaman reimagining!
[Image: mx9RKdo.png]
Spiritual sequels is a good point, yeah. Using the example of Bastion, Supergiant Games's next game was Transistor. I haven't played it yet but from what I know it's similar in terms of gameplay, art style, and even has similar narration with the same narrator, yet it's set in a completely different universe with a whole different story and theme.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: eureka, psychospacecow
Um, a lot of games are bad and a lot of games wrapped themselves up nicely in their own franchises, but why would you want to have such a negative discussion on games? Like, yeah, real glad there wasn't another ET, or another Big Rigs or like... I really wish Viewtiful Joe 2 didn't suck, but whatever! I think a lot more is gained from looking at the positives and what games would BENEFIT from getting sequels, honestly.

As for games I think it would be cool to get sequels for:
-Megaman ZX Advent (that secret ending, you know they were planning something)
-Asura's Wrath (the DLC was such a fucking set up and they never got to make the next game to fill it in)
-Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (ignoring the existent sequels, i want specifically one that has similar gameplay and the same kind of charm as the original Gamecube version)
-a Paper Mario that returns to its roots and has an interesting story and isn't Sticker Star
-F-Zero, full stop

Too much negativity these days, man...
We already had a "games that should have sequels thread", although I can't remember whether it was before or after the wipe. I'm all for a new one if you want to make it, but I don't see a problem with this thread. A negative discussion can still be an interesting one for those who choose to participate, and as an aspiring developer I personally find it quite helpful and beneficial to discuss such aspects.

I get what you're saying, but the thread's title is pretty clear on what it's about, so anybody who doesn't want to read it or participate doesn't have to.
Just because there is a "should not have" in the topic theme, doesn't mean it has to be a negative discussion.
I mean sure, if we just used this to say "oh this game was so crap it should never have a sequel" it'd be certainly negative, but we've already started on cases where games don't need a sequel because they excelled, not failed.

Examining why they shouldn't get a sequel, in other word what they did right is a good look in to how to make great stand alone games.

I mean, most of these are because the plot wrapped up nicely, which further examination could reveal tips on how to make a consistent story for any game. Or maybe it's because the game reached pretty much the pinnacle of its set of game mechanics, and thus has no where to grow in that area, so it's more qualified to have a generational remake from time to time, rather than a sequel, or it runs the risk of either sequels being carbon copies of the original, or so different it really should be a difference game (Or at least a spin off).

Examining these types that don't need a sequel could be a very positive discussion on what to do right game mechanically.

And of course, there's always room for the related question: This game was good, and I want more... but a sequel would be bad for it. What should happen now? (of course, my solution is make a spiritual sequel, but maybe a few here have other solutions?)
Christianity is my faith not my religion. And neither should be pushed upon people.
HELP-Need as much C+C and playtesting as I can get on my SHMUP Megaman reimagining!
[Image: mx9RKdo.png]
Thanked by: Kriven, puggsoy
final fantasy
Speaking About Final Fantasy...
[Image: jcKgJbX.png]
Thanked by:
I like the handhelds Final Fantasy format games that have been coming out recently. Bravely Default was honestly very good.

I don't want to see another Team Fortress. Imagine how screwy the market in Team Fortress would get from a sequel.
Thanked by: puggsoy, eureka