Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Marine: Working Title
Wink 
[Image: dymvfquv.png]
Hey there lovely community!

I'm currently working on some sprites and I don't want to say that I'm working on a game, since I don't know if I'm able to pull it off...but at least I can work on some sprites.

Anyway here's the base stance for the main character:
[Image: jvrw2zoq.png]

This topic will aim for different character movement animations. I will update this topic as soon as I can. Don't expect constant updates, since I have a lot of work to do...but thanks for the fast feedback Cute

Thanked by: Paladin, Elk, Rosencrantz
Oh, wow, those are pretty nice. Looks like they'd fit in well with Metroid/Castlevania sprites.

As for an animation program, Aseprite is a wonderful program. It's open source, or you can buy a precompiled version for 10$ (old builds are free). It's not technically commercial, though; the payment's just to support the project. If you know how to use CMake, you can build it yourself, but I personally hate CMake.
Thanked by: eureka
Oh, and don't forget that all of the older ASEprite versions are free, and you don't have to compile those!

As for your animation, I can understand your uneasiness. It doesn't look perfect, but I can't say exactly why. You'd probably have to show us all a complete version so we can get a better idea here.
Thanked by:
Here's an idea that might help your animation a bit. Try having the upper body bob up and down a little bit. The image below will give you a good idea.

[Image: wlk01.gif]
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:
Thx for the feedback Cute! Maybe you're right and I have to finish the animation first. Gosh I would like to be at home right now.

I sprite in Paint (started there, tried others, but prefer paint) and I animate in GraphicsGale.

Btw. Midi guessed it pretty well. I'd like to make a metroidvania style zombie game and that would be the protagonist. So I'll add other sprites and animation in the future Cute
[Image: 35w77fiz.png]
Thanked by:
Hunting zombies in Dracula's castle on a resurrected Zebes! The possibilities! XD

I do my spriting in Paint, too, using a copy of the XP version. I use Aseprite for testing and tweaking animations, as well as tracing over sketches that I draw large and scale down, a method I've preferred over drawing parts and building poses these days, but for some frames, I find it effective to mix methods.
Thanked by:
So I got back home, buuuuut I have to leave :/...

Anyway, I had about a half an hour to do something and I used it to make a preview of the animation

[Image: tbginxad.gif]

Seems like this is what I can manage in about half an hour :/, but at least you know where it's going Big Grin... next update will be the finished one Cute

PS: are the spoiler tags working? can't seem to get'em to work.... they don't open >_<
Thanked by:
Spoiler tags are currently not working, but the staff is working on fixing them. They should be useable soon.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: eureka, CopyCat
Thanks on the fast respond about the spoiler tags Smile

And here's the Update:
[Image: vypnhm7v.gif]

Sadly...I'm not happy at all...since I've noticed today that I messed up the animation...but still the character walks so...it's something Tongue

Any ideas what I could change now? Cute
Thanked by: E-Man
those shoulders could move a bit
[Image: 1lYIpk9.gif] GET THESE MEMES OFF THE TABLE! -Hiyna
http://www.twitch.tv/hiynastrike live when I feel like it... You just gotta get lucky
[Image: xG4BaYw.gif]

Also Love Stuff

Hey Look! I support stuff!
Thanked by:
I think you just need to move the lower body a few pixels back. It looks like the upper body is leaning back, making it unbalanced. Agree? I like the animation tho. There seems to be some kind of speedup in one of the frames tho..
Thanked by:
It seems like there's more of an impact when he puts down his right foot (the closest one to us) than when he puts down his left foot (the farthest one to us) so it looks uneven.
Thanked by:
Thanks again for the fast feedback Cute!

Here we go:

[Image: lxn6mepv.gif]

- fixed the lower body
- fixed the position of the upper body
- added slight animation changes

Arms look weird now...think I had to move the shoulders only...XD
Thanked by: E-Man, Paladin
I feel like the everything from the knee below still needs to be moved back a few pixels. It's really good. The arms don't look weird because it's theoretically correct that he needs to hold it straight up without much movement because he's going to shoot.
Thanked by:
Tomorrow I'll take a fresh look at that "walk" animation, but for the first, I'll let it be.

Meanwhile I have something more simple Cute Shoot&Reload

[Image: z4ldubpx.gif]

GifCam messed up the animation >_<... here's the original size one

[Image: o5k566h6.gif]
Thanked by: eureka, SmithyGCN