Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Characters In a new style
Ok everyone been gone for a bit and I still haven't figured out what arcade game to rip. But thats not the point of this thread.

Anyway me and a friend are working on a project together. My friend is TheonknownKLAW over on DA and hes going to be drawing for the project. Its a comic by the way. My half of the project is writing and Pixel art/sprites since the project involves Game jumping. Yes Its a Wreck-it Ralph comic. Any way as I'm going to be doing the sprite work as far as I can I'll need advice so heres where I'll post my creations and see what you all think.

First off a Character from a old arcade game brought up to Fix-It Felix Jr. Style.

Chipper Chuck

[Image: c3vEq.png]

Put Felix in there for comparison. New style in the center. Original game sprite on the right.

Chuck's new look is based off this http://theonknownklaw.deviantart.com/art...-486363983

What you all think?

Update 10/11/14

A new set of sprites this time of a movie character and based off ones only seen in the movie.

Pac-Man Style Ralph

[Image: c890Z.png]
I'm not sure if I did it 100% true to the movie one but man is that a blurry shot (Yes taken from my copy of the DVD.)
I think it looks alright what do you guys think? (Also got to do the poses of him carrying the cherry and any others I can think up.)
Thanked by:
Very interesting, friend, but why settle for just 8-Bit?If you try hard enough, you can easily apply more shades to that sprite and make it looks a little less stiff. I know you're trying to emulate the style of Fix-It Felix Jr., but don't limit yourself to that. Instead, try a few other styles, so you can have a lot to choose from under your belt.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by: Plokman
(10-07-2014, 06:56 PM)E-Man Wrote: Very interesting, friend, but why settle for just 8-Bit?If you try hard enough, you can easily apply more shades to that sprite and make it looks a little less stiff. I know you're trying to emulate the style of Fix-It Felix Jr., but don't limit yourself to that. Instead, try a few other styles, so you can have a lot to choose from under your belt.
Hey my friend. Thanks for the words of advice but there is a reason for me to do these emulations. Not only are they a build up to the other styles but Fix-It Felix Jr is the center in much of the arcade.

There will be many more styles shown. some may not even show up in the comic proper but I'll be doing kind of small moc ups as bonus panels. I still may need help on down the line for the more intricate and complex sprites like if I have a scene in Street fighter. but thats for a later date.
Thanked by:
(10-07-2014, 06:56 PM)E-Man Wrote: Very interesting, friend, but why settle for just 8-Bit?

nice suggestion, but please try to not call it 8-bit. 8-bit is a processor found in the first home consoles. if youre referring to NES limitations, then i suggest you call it just that. :V
[Image: XeE6VeC.gif]
Thanked by: Garamonde
(10-08-2014, 05:48 PM)recme Wrote:
(10-07-2014, 06:56 PM)E-Man Wrote: Very interesting, friend, but why settle for just 8-Bit?

nice suggestion, but please try to not call it 8-bit. 8-bit is a processor found in the first home consoles. if youre referring to NES limitations, then i suggest you call it just that. :V

I understand its frowned on to say 8-bit here on the VG Resource and all but I have a habit to call them 8-bit as well. Since the NES wasn't the only 8-bit system it doesn't help.

I think also most arcade units from 1980-1986 at least ran off 8-bit processors.
Thanked by: mallerie7, recme
I actually think these sprites emulate the style pretty well. I can't be sure on the color palette, though unless you'r gonna be using that game's palette for this there's no need t change it. All I can say beyond that is that the thing (Sponge? IDK) Looks too triangular in my opinion and maybe should be put at a more horizontal angle.

Otherwise good work laddy
c e r t i f i e d   m e m e l o r d .
>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM0jv_z...IciomDGEmQ << you should check this out
(10-09-2014, 09:41 PM)Quirby64 Wrote: I actually think these sprites emulate the style pretty well. I can't be sure on the color palette, though unless you'r gonna be using that game's palette for this there's no need t change it. All I can say beyond that is that the thing (Sponge? IDK) Looks too triangular in my opinion and maybe should be put at a more horizontal angle.

Otherwise good work laddy

Thanks for that Quirby. The Palette isn't in the bounds of the game I'm sure but I'm following the movies logic and all with the style being emulated and not the palette.

As for the white bit on his face that is a beard. Hmm not sure if tilting it would work. My friends say on the basis sprite (the one on the right) it looks more like a smile. But me and Klaw thought it looked more like a beard. Weird on how opinions can vary so much.

By the way posting a new set of sprites for crits as well. This time based a bit more off the movie.
Thanked by:
Sorry for the delay everyone. Life has gotten hectic for me these last few weeks. I'm going to do my best to get some new material for you soon. till then hope you don't mind me bump.
Thanked by:
(10-08-2014, 07:05 PM)Plokman Wrote:

I understand its frowned on to say 8-bit here on the VG Resource and all but I have a habit to call them 8-bit as well. Since the NES wasn't the only 8-bit system it doesn't help.

I think also most arcade units from 1980-1986 at least ran off 8-bit processors.

Technically, the graphics used by NES and others limited to 4 colors (counting transparency) are 2-bit. This is because 0-3 are the indices on NES sprites' palettes, which is also the number of values a 2-bit integer can count to. A true 8-bit sprite can have up to 256 colors (indexed 0-255).
(11-03-2014, 08:40 AM)Midi Wrote:
(10-08-2014, 05:48 PM)recme Wrote: nice suggestion, but please try to not call it 8-bit. 8-bit is a processor found in the first home consoles. if youre referring to NES limitations, then i suggest you call it just that. :V

Technically, the graphics used by NES and others limited to 4 colors (counting transparency) are 2-bit. This is because 0-3 are the indices on NES sprites' palettes, which is also the number of values a 2-bit integer can count to. A true 8-bit sprite can have up to 256 colors (indexed 0-255).

Hmm that makes alot of sense base off my knowledge of 8-bit system workings. Huh I guess that means in the case of old Arcade game kill screens the level number isn't 256 its 257. If you take my meaning.
Thanked by:
(11-03-2014, 08:36 PM)Plokman Wrote:
(11-03-2014, 08:40 AM)Midi Wrote:

Hmm that makes alot of sense base off my knowledge of 8-bit system workings. Huh I guess that means in the case of old Arcade game kill screens the level number isn't 256 its 257. If you take my meaning.

Boy, what a quotamid we've got going here. And, yes, in a way, it's 257, since level 0 reads as level 1 in most games. Which is very odd, since the integer simply wraps around back to 0 when it overflows in newer systems, which leads me to believe this is a failsafe implemented after these past overflow errors happened, and isn't really normal behavior.

In response to the sprites themselves, Ralph's arms and legs are going in sync with each other, and it makes him look like he's waddling. They should be counter-synced.
(11-04-2014, 08:11 AM)Midi Wrote:
(11-03-2014, 08:36 PM)Plokman Wrote:
(11-03-2014, 08:40 AM)Midi Wrote: Technically, the graphics used by NES and others limited to 4 colors (counting transparency) are 2-bit. This is because 0-3 are the indices on NES sprites' palettes, which is also the number of values a 2-bit integer can count to. A true 8-bit sprite can have up to 256 colors (indexed 0-255).

Boy, what a quotamid we've got going here. And, yes, in a way, it's 257, since level 0 reads as level 1 in most games. Which is very odd, since the integer simply wraps around back to 0 when it overflows in newer systems, which leads me to believe this is a failsafe implemented after these past overflow errors happened, and isn't really normal behavior.

In response to the sprites themselves, Ralph's arms and legs are going in sync with each other, and it makes him look like he's waddling. They should be counter-synced.

Indeed the Quotamind is getting tall. Hmm should we prune this Word shrub before it gets out of hand?

That makes quite alot of sense. Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Dig Dug and Galaga were all early games and they may have been the thing to make programers set a buffer and make sure the number overflowed back around.

As for Pac Ralph how on earth did I mess his arm swings up. A minor edit is all I need to fix the arms and legs.
But still how did I mess that up? I'm such a doink.

These should look much better.
[Image: 4b94a3eb09.png]

Not 100% though. Any advice for this my good chap?
Thanked by:
Remove the bottom row of his chin. His head should be more pear shaped.
Thanked by: Joxon, Plokman
(11-05-2014, 05:55 PM)Midi Wrote: Remove the bottom row of his chin. His head should be more pear shaped.

Good eye that was off. I also messed up his overalls in frame 2.

Fixed and here we are.

[Image: f67f022177.png]

I'm not sure but is it me or are his arms a bit off in size?
Thanked by: Virt
His hands could be bigger, yeah.
Thanked by: