Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Poll: Which posting style do you prefer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Classic - Poster's information to the left
93.10%
27 93.10%
Modern - Poster's information above
6.90%
2 6.90%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Post Layout
So we've received a lot of comments regarding post layouts. Some people like it, some people don't mind it.

Which do you prefer, Classic, or Modern?

Vote now, and we'll look at how we might change it back to the classic style.

(For those unaware:
Classic = Information on the poster to the left of a post
Modern = Information on the poster displayed above a post)
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Classic has always been better on every forum I've been on. Having user information between every post breaks up the content and instead of having all user info in its own area and posts in theirs, it alternates and, in my opinion, is kind of dumb.

Unless it's like on gomobile where the area is very small, I'd much rather have the different page sections be in their own defined areas.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: Ploaj, Garamonde, Mystie, Kriven
Classic. Classic is better. Classic is superior.

RIP Apart Dark ;___;
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by:
Apart Dark is coming back, d/w
Thanked by: Garamonde, redblueyellow
(09-20-2014, 08:33 PM)Vipershark Wrote: Apart Dark is coming back, d/w

it better

also is it just me or did sig sizes shrink again

(ooh i love how the new posts feel more like wordpress, with the option to switch back to bbcode mode

'Code 'Mode
Thanked by:
Having poster details on the left seems to make more sense, thread is easier to follow and there's a lot less wasted space.
Though it could do with a bit of CSS reworking from the looks of it, that little info panel looks like it should span the height of the whole post and sig (minus the bits of padding at the top and bottom) to make things look less detached on longer posts.
(edit: like if you look at this post vs kosh's above, see how the sig just kind of juts out at the bottom?)

Also, the alignment of user information in the classic panels is a bit unstructured, the little dividing line should really be centered, along with the icons for external sites at the bottom, you could even make the thing narrower and pad the post count and other stats closer to the center, you already know the max width of avatars so anything above that is gravy.

(can't help but wonder if there's a better way to do the online/offline indication too, but I'd have to think on that one)
B A N D C A M P - T W I T T E R - T U M B L R - Y O U T U B E - G 1 5
Call me aggressive, call me obscene,
but you've always called me sir when you've invaded my dreams.
Thanked by:
I'll take a look at the CSS and see if I can make things look not-so-crazy when I get some time to do it.
I haven't even been able to really touch anything in the ACP yet due to work/homework but I'll get on it when I can.
Thanked by:
I don't know, something just seems really off after the whole forum update, even when I have it in classic. It could be a small change, but when you've looked at the same thing for 6 years...
[Image: 803ce84258.gif]
Thanked by: Kriven
That's because it is off.
There's still a lot of work to be done.
While you're working on implementing the changes to the layout, you wouldn't mind bringing back the Skype icon, would you?
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:
Yes, I'm going to put that back.
The new software has been up for less than 24 hours, everyone. None of us have really been able to change things yet so give us some time to get stuff back under control.
Don't put the skype icon back. Skype is now a part of the contact information.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by: Vipershark
Oh, I hadn't even realized that was changed, my bad.
Good change, thanks.
Thanked by:
Now that I've switched over to Classic Mode it's a little more tolerable. It looks weird now, but I'm sure I'll adjust.

Is there any way you guys can bring back the alternating post_body1/post_body2 back? (so that it matches the alternating forum section colors like on the forum index?)
And maybe make the post_info a little darker to compensate
The forum is so white my eyes are straining hardcore @__@
Thanked by: Kriven, Sevenstitch
(09-20-2014, 06:57 PM)Vipershark Wrote: Classic has always been better on every forum I've been on. Having user information between every post breaks up the content and instead of having all user info in its own area and posts in theirs, it alternates and, in my opinion, is kind of dumb.

Unless it's like on gomobile where the area is very small, I'd much rather have the different page sections be in their own defined areas.

(09-20-2014, 09:12 PM)PatientZero Wrote: Having poster details on the left seems to make more sense, thread is easier to follow and there's a lot less wasted space.

Usually, the argument for classic consists of "it's always been like that and change is bad so put it back" so it's nice to see some actual logic being applied. I get what you're saying and actually sort of agree, though the counter-point is that the horizontal layout gives you a clear start and end to each post and can make things easier to follow.

I was originally going to let this poll run until tomorrow before deciding to switch the default back or not but I think the answer is clear now so I'll be switching it back now. I think I'll even give it a shot myself - it's been a long time since I've had it like that. As long as the left side is a fixed width (it tends to look really ugly and defeat the clearly defined sections you're going for when its width varies from post to post), it should be fine. I think it will work here since the layout takes up most of the width of the browser but I still think the modern layout makes more sense on a site like VGFacts, where the entire forum is a fixed width.

For those who want to keep the modern look, you'll be able to switch back from the "Edit Options" section of the user control panel.
Thanked by: