Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Gaming mods?
If you people have done mods to your consoles, peripherals, games (i.e. hacks), et al and/or had somebody do mods for you, talk about 'em here!
  • RGB-modded Nintendo 64: the N64 can only natively output composite video and S-video. S-vid's not a bad signal, but I don't have an S-vid input on my TV. I could feasibly get a converter for S-vid, but I feel like I'm getting more of my money's worth getting a SCART>HDMI converter since RGB-SCART is a better signal and have other consoles with SCART cables. That said, my N64 games look phenomenal now, especially 2D games. I now prefer how games look through an actual N64 over emulation (PC or Virtual Console). Also I put the modded console into an Ice Blue shell since normally the RGB-moddable N64s are only black-shelled consoles.
  • RGB-modded SNES Mini: the regular SNES could natively output S-vid and RGB, but not the Mini. The advantage here, however, is that the RGB video from a SNES Mini/Jr is far superior to any model revision of the original SNES/Super Famicom. Yoshi's Island is fucking gorgeous from a modded SNES Mini. Big Grin
  • VGA Cable for Gamecube: it seems like a waste of a rare GCN D-Terminal cable, especially for a relatively small boost in image quality from component video, but hell: I happened upon a broken D-Terminal cable for pretty damn cheap and I already had a spare working D-Terminal cable, so I figured I'd get the most outta the broken cable... yes, I'm a bit of a stickler for image quality. Pick up on that yet? Wink
  • LodgeNet N64 Controller: a bit of a misleading name. Essentially, it's a regular N64 controller but with the OEM stick replaced with the badass GCN-style sticks from the LodgeNet hotel controllers. It works beautifully, it's sturdier than the OEM N64 stick, and best of all it's a far cheaper prospect than a used Hori Mini Pad at the moment. I could've stuck with the LodgeNet shell but there's no opening for a Rumble Pak/Memory Card... plus my black/red controller shell combo looks badassed.
(For anybody else interested in pursuing optimal video options for their older games, check out this site to get started.)
Offending people is a necessary and healthy act... Every time you say something that's offensive to another person, you just caused a discussion. You just forced them to have to think. - Louis C.K.
Thanked by: psychospacecow
Fallout New Vegas modded, or how I almost bricked my PC that can barely play Far Cry 3.

Distributed Necklaces and Chains Neck Seam Concealer
Fallout Character Overhaul
Improved Sunny Smiles Companion with normal armor
Nevada Skies
NMC Texture Pack
Official Pipboy Readius
Project Nevada
psychoelf's gambling cooldown removal
ultra-luxe slot machines
unlimited companions updated
weapon animation replacers - The Commando - The Professional
Wearpon Rexture Project
Weapons of the New Millenia
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Thanked by:
I'm not sure if this counts, but I'm a fan of modded Minecraft. Currently, the biggest mods I have installed are Biomes o' Plenty, Tinker's Construct, the Twilight Forest, and Ars Magica 2. I only recently installed that last one, so I'm giving it a try to see if I like it.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:
isn't the lodgenet stick the same as the 3rd party ones you find on ebay? I mean I have one and it works perfectly
Thanked by:
(09-21-2014, 10:03 PM)Helmo Wrote: isn't the lodgenet stick the same as the 3rd party ones you find on ebay? I mean I have one and it works perfectly
The only "real" 3rd party controller I can think of that it's based off of is that it's actually made by Hori, makers of the Mini Pad.

There are also those aftermarket "GCN STYLE REPLACEMENT STICKS L@@K!!!!" on ebay, but to be blunt they're crap. They're far too sensitive and the analog "skips" steps like hell, making things like smash attacks in SSB impossible.

Otherwise, I'm not sure.
Offending people is a necessary and healthy act... Every time you say something that's offensive to another person, you just caused a discussion. You just forced them to have to think. - Louis C.K.
Thanked by:
(09-22-2014, 07:20 AM)BullockDS Wrote:
(09-21-2014, 10:03 PM)Helmo Wrote: isn't the lodgenet stick the same as the 3rd party ones you find on ebay? I mean I have one and it works perfectly
The only "real" 3rd party controller I can think of that it's based off of is that it's actually made by Hori, makers of the Mini Pad.

There are also those aftermarket "GCN STYLE REPLACEMENT STICKS L@@K!!!!" on ebay, but to be blunt they're crap. They're far too sensitive and the analog "skips" steps like hell, making things like smash attacks in SSB impossible.

Otherwise, I'm not sure.

...I was actually gonna ask about that. There's pretty much no chance I'll be able to get just the Lodgenet joysticks ala carte, will I ):

And if I do I'll have to solder the shrek out of an existing controller? :/
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by:
(09-22-2014, 09:42 AM)Kosheh Wrote:
(09-22-2014, 07:20 AM)BullockDS Wrote:

Otherwise, I'm not sure.

...I was actually gonna ask about that. There's pretty much no chance I'll be able to get just the Lodgenet joysticks ala carte, will I ):

And if I do I'll have to solder the shrek out of an existing controller? :/
No, but Lodgenet controllers are relatively cheap. The soldering work's not too awful either.
Thanked by:
Well I had no problems with mine for games like SM64 and LoZ:MM but yeah I just tested it in smash and boy was that a pain :V

I already have a nice Hori controller, but I'll see if I can pick up a lodgenet
Thanked by:
Here's a pretty decent guide for making such a LodgeNet Controller:
http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_For...&t=7389142
Thanked by: