Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
This Five Nights At Freddy's Craze
Who's played it, and what are your opinions on it?

I reserve mine for my subsequent post.
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Thanked by:
What a well thought-out and content-packed post!

Could you at least give some sort of explanation of what you're talking about so people that have no idea what Five Nights at Freddy's is can read along?
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
My mistake, I'm learning to make the opening post of discussion threads neutral to entice people who both like and dislike the subject to post in.

Five Night's At Freddy's is a currently trending viral horror game. The theme is switching cameras to try and catch the animatronics looming around. You never move from your position though, you just stay in one room.

As for my views on this game...

I have yet to play it, but from all I've seen of it through videos, I'm not enticed to either.

The game is basically those gimmicky FMV Sega CD games Night Trap and Double Switch, with derpy-looking animatronics, that relies too heavily on jumpscares....not that I've found anything scary in the first place. Having been steeled by Resident Evil 3 on the PS1 when I was a very young kid, most horror things don't scare me. In fact, what usually ends up happening at the supposed scary parts is me laughing at the pure absurdity of the situation, if I'm not annoyed by the sounds the monsters make at an attempt to be scary.

I keep seeing threads and fan art all over the place talking about how innovative the game is...when the whole gameplay style has already been done quite a few times before. The only thing they added was a usage limit on the cameras. There's about as much gameplay here as the aforementioned Sega CD games; you just sit around and wait for things to happen, pressing a button when the time seems right. In other words, it's a giant Quick Time Event game, and these kinds of games aren't my cup of tea.
Thanked by:
I loved the idea of haunted Chuck E Cheeze animatronics that come to life at night and try to kill you... however I was disappointed by the gameplay when I saw it. It's a rather simple game. I want the idea to be explored in a more deep gameplay experience.

Thanked by: Mystie
So it's basically the Security Camera game Miyamoto showed off at e3, but with Chuck E. Cheez robots?
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Which is why I'm so confused about so many people claiming it is an innovative game, when the concept has been done so many times. It's just a different coat of paint.
Thanked by: BullockDS
After reading a bit about it, watching a bit of gameplay, and even watching an analysis of "why its good." My current opinion of the game is that it's a decent quality jumpscare game. That still means its still in realm of the lightest of horror, but at least it tries to earn its scares. Setting up the gameplay and atmosphere into a tense situation ripe for a scare, rather than just throwing them everywhere and anywhere.

The actual appearance (as in... how they show up) of the animatronics during failures is actually pretty slow for a jumpscare.

(Sort of wish they tried making them scarier looking though)

With that said... this is a decent proof of concept type game, but it'll probably take a few games worth of trial and error before we get any real horror from this.

(Like being able to wander the halls would be nice, even if its suicide mechanically.)
Christianity is my faith not my religion. And neither should be pushed upon people.
HELP-Need as much C+C and playtesting as I can get on my SHMUP Megaman reimagining!
[Image: mx9RKdo.png]
Thanked by:
To be honest, I was more impressed by the fact they did all of this in Multimedia Fusion. And while the game is reliant on jump scares, I found it scarier than most of the recent horror movies that have been out in the past couple of years
[Image: 803ce84258.gif]
Thanked by:
I'd be lying if I said I haven't heard of this game before. A lot of people are making a big deal about it, but it doesn't look like my cup of tea.

By the way, what exactly is this game trying to do? Is it actually trying to be a horror game, or is it actually a parody of the genre? Either way, the concept of this game and how it's trying to scare you is quite laughable.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
(09-06-2014, 04:09 PM)Sportoise Wrote: To be honest, I was more impressed by the fact they did all of this in Multimedia Fusion. And while the game is reliant on jump scares, I found it scarier than most of the recent horror movies that have been out in the past couple of years
Sharknado. Sharks + Tornados = True Terror.

But seriously, I also don't get what the whole big deal is. People are fawning over this game way more than anything else right now, even Xenoblade Chronicles.
See I think the animatronic characters would be scarier if they designed them to like the Rockafire Explosion. See those guys would be more scary since they have permanent smiles and doll eyes.

Thanked by: Shade
Apparently the buttons you use to close the doors and flicker the lights can just randomly get stuck and not work, which is bullshit since those are your only means of defense.
(09-07-2014, 07:54 PM)Helmo Wrote: Apparently the buttons you use to close the doors and flicker the lights can just randomly get stuck and not work, which is bullshit since those are your only means of defense.

As far as I know, they don't randomly not work. The buttons not working indicates that a character has managed to get into the room. If you put up the camera, they'll jump at you as soon as you put it down
[Image: 803ce84258.gif]
Thanked by:
I think it's an okay game. It doesn't really interest me much, though.
It may not be an entirely original idea, but what is anymore, right? It uses it's atmosphere to scare you, and it doesn't rely on just jumpscares. The jumpscares are used as a punishment for failing at the game. They aren't just shoehorned in there; you could theoretically play the entire game without seeing one.
I'm not counting when they show up at the door as a jumpscare.

No need to hate the game because a lot of people like it. If you don't personally like it, it doesn't mean it's a bad game you know :I

I feel like it could be really neat if it was fleshed out more. I also felt that about Slender too... but then we got the oh-so disappointing Slender: the Arrival...

(09-07-2014, 07:54 PM)Helmo Wrote: Apparently the buttons you use to close the doors and flicker the lights can just randomly get stuck and not work, which is bullshit since those are your only means of defense.

They do that when one of them is in the room with you.
Thanked by: Mystie
There's a lot of different kinds of scary, and I think what this game excels at is a good level of anxiety. In later nights in the game the AI level gets a lot harder, and tries to stress the player out.
Thanked by: Ploaj