Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
VG Resource Chat
Hello everyone! I'm here today to announce our new, official VG Resource chat server!

If you've been around for a while, you probably remember our old IRC server and how it died, came back, and died again over time. And if you haven't, stick around anyway because you can be here for the birth of the new version!

I think part of the reason why it died was because it was too difficult to set up and use. Sure, there was a web version but it wasn't exactly intuitive and saving your nickname required remembering and using yet another password. I set up this new system to, hopefully, eliminate that issue entirely so here's how it works.

First and foremost, there is a new web client which is accessible at http://irc.vg-resource.com. While you're welcome to use any nickname you want, where this new setup really shines is that it uses your forum account. So, enter your forum username, check "I have a password", and enter your forum password. By default, you'll land in the #lobby channel, which is open to everyone. Here's a list of all of the public channels though:

#help - You can use this for live chat support with anything on the sites or the chat server itself. This room is open to guests as well as members.
#lobby - As I said above, the default channel which is also open to all guests and members.
#members - As its name implies, this channel is only open to registered members of the forum.

You can join any of these channels by simply filling in the name when you connect or by using /join #channel from the chat interface. You can also join multiple channels from the web login by separating them with a comma. So, to join #lobby and #members when you connect form the web, simply add ,#members to the field and you'll join both!

Additionally, if the login doesn't work for some reason (you'll get a message stating that you need to be registered to join #members, for instance), you can type /ns identify password (where password is your forum password) to log in manually.

For those of you familiar with IRC, here are the direct details to connect from your preferred client:

Hostname: irc.vg-resource.com
Port (SSL): 6697
Port (Non-SSL): 6667

To use your forum account, set your nickname to your forum username and enter your forum password if a Nickserv password field is available or include /ns identify password (or /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password) in your auto-executed commands if it's not. Also, if you're going to connect via SSL, just be aware that the certificate will likely show as invalid so you'll need to accept it either via your client's preferences or via whatever popup appears the first time you try to connect.

Also, for everyone, once connected, you'll see a member called "LogBot" and that bot is another important part of the new features added with this server. That bot will log everything said in the public channels (it will never log anything said in user-created channels or in private messages) and make the logs available on the web at http://chatlogs.vg-resource.com! You can view what little is there already but it will obviously be a lot more interesting once some actual conversation starts happening.
If you have any questions regarding either of these two options or anything else related to the chat server, post them here! If more detailed setup guides are requested for stand-alone clients, I can try to provide those as well but in the mean time, happy chatting!
I'll set up a tutorial soon that will give people directions on how to set up an IRC client that will automatically log them into the chat room when they start their computer.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by: Petie
Hey, I'm not sure if you guys covered this or not, but is there a feature to use an audio cue to let someone know a new message pops up? This might help with making people see when new chat posts are added since Deathbringer and I are having a little trouble finding user to talk to on there.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:
The web interface doesn't offer that but stand alone clients can likely be configured to notify you about new messages and the like.
Thanked by: E-Man
A stand alone client, huh? Would you mind telling me more about that?
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:
On Mac, I use LimeChat, available for free in the App Store. On PC, HexChat is good and also free.
Thanked by: E-Man, puggsoy
Guests are able to see #members in the logs. Can you make it so only registered members can view #members logs?
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
I thought about that but wasn't sure if it was 100% necessary. It is easy enough to implement though so I suppose I could throw that in tomorrow.
Thanked by:
Can I suggest dedicated registered channels for #sprites, #models, #textures, and #sounds so that questions/discussion about each can be directed to the relevant area?
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
I think we should wait until it isn't dead quiet.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by:
No, encourage people to irc. I don't want to skype. I don't want to go 1984 Big Brother. That way, anons can get nearly the same communication as users. Let them onboard, this is a trading ship. All abroad!
Thanked by:
Connection successfull from pidgin! Big Grin
Thanked by: Petie
Are any non-6667/6697 ports supported? I don't use SSL and 6667 conflicts with my ISP.
EDIT: Also, how did you sync NickServ with the forums?
3DS FC: 2105-8909-0435
NNID: MandL27
Thanked by: xXJubricataXx
Unfortunately not. Those are the only ports I currently have configured. Are you avoiding SSL for any specific reason?

As for the second part, I added in a secondary database connection, enabled read access to the forum database from the chat server's IP, and had authentication requests query the forum database instead of NickServ's internal table.
Thanked by:
(10-27-2014, 03:14 PM)Petie Wrote: Unfortunately not. Those are the only ports I currently have configured. Are you avoiding SSL for any specific reason?

As for the second part, I added in a secondary database connection, enabled read access to the forum database from the chat server's IP, and had authentication requests query the forum database instead of NickServ's internal table.

It's just that I'd rather not use it I can't get it set up properly and would thus rather not bother. Typically 6660-6669 and 7000 are allowed non-SSL ports, so those could work for compatibility purposes.
Is the alternate authentication method exclusive to this forum software, or could it be reconfigured to work with any forum software?
3DS FC: 2105-8909-0435
NNID: MandL27
Thanked by: