Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[gameboy] Mario Golf
I don't need any ripping help or anything, I just have some questions about sprites in Mario Golf and I don't know where else to ask, so I came here. I apologize in advance if this is the incorrect place.

[Image: m2VVGZl.jpg]

This is a screencap from a game called Mario Golf for Gameboy Color.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if this map is based on tile design or just pure texture for the entire hole.

Here's another screencap:

[Image: j9Ow5aO.jpg]

Here's a case where it is zoomed in when the ball lands near the ground:

[Image: Ob157RY.gif]

When you see the zoom part, you can kind of see that everything is tiled.
But when zoomed out (ball in the air), it seems everything is irregular and shows no signs of tiles, but the trees kind of say otherwise... I can't grasp how they designed the courses.

Here's a video if you want further and live views of the courses:

Thanked by:
I'm.. not entirely sure what you mean

But I can guarantee you that everything is made out of 8x8 tiles in all of the occasions, although it might not look explicitly like it first.

If you use an emulator with debugging features (NO$GMB, GBG) and open the Tile Viewer, or more specifically the User Screen, you will see what's loaded to VRAM and what tiles are laid out.
Once there was a way to get back homeward
Thanked by:
Well, I was thinking about designing a game of golf using Mario Golf GBC graphics and I figured that designing the holes could be as simple as using a tile map editor. But looking at those screencast and videos, it seems like they straight-up drew the holes in Paint or something. So I am confused on how they designed it.
Thanked by:
The reason the zoomed out shot doesn't look tiled is because of the lack of detail. Large green patches with some dithering on the edges just makes it less conspicuous than the zoomed in shot.
Doofenshmirtz: This is a little bit awkward but have you seen my escape jet keys? (Perry nods) What, you have? Well that's great! So where are they? (Perry looks away) You won't tell me? Is this because you don't speak or are you just being a jerk?
~Phineas and Ferb, "One Good Scare Ought to Do It!" (2008)
Thanked by:
(08-19-2014, 01:39 PM)Raccoon Sam Wrote: I'm.. not entirely sure what you mean

But I can guarantee you that everything is made out of 8x8 tiles in all of the occasions, although it might not look explicitly like it first.

If you use an emulator with debugging features (NO$GMB, GBG) and open the Tile Viewer, or more specifically the User Screen, you will see what's loaded to VRAM and what tiles are laid out.

I was able to find them with this method, thank you very much!

[Image: A0limt2.png]
Thanked by: puggsoy, Shade, Raccoon Sam
Superb!!
If you intend on ripping them through that screen though, just be sure to stretch the window so that the text says "stretch 8,8" or "stretch 16,16" so you can resize and edit the image appropriately.
Once there was a way to get back homeward
Thanked by: