Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Games are hard. (Updated 7/19)
The last thread was archived, or something, I dunno. This thing is still happening, however.

Just as last time, if anyone would like to help, these are being used in a game, in which I'm currently designing, spriting, programming, etc, so all manpower is appreciated. Any crits and edits are wholeheartedly accepted!

All of these are completely custom, with the exception of the player sprite, which is heavily edited versions ofLink's sprites from the GBC Zelda games.

Player and Enemies:
[Image: sprites_zps10aef7d1.png]

[Image: output_0wtMSZ.gif?t=1393980147]
[Image: kogggif_zpsc8ea692f.gif?t=1405456947]
[Image: output_EQUXpQ_zps1567963f.gif?t=1405457279]
Tiles:
[Image: Tiles_zps6f345b4a.png]
[Image: dungeontiles_zpsfbb17cf1.png]

Tiles in use:
Outdoor

Dungeon
Any noise annoys an oyster, but a noisy noise annoys an oyster more.
Thanked by:
Looks like you're going for a Gameboy Zelda look, but with 8-directional movement. Sounds cool. Although, recruiting should be done in the requests/commissions board, but I wouldn't mind helping out in exchange for a cameo or something.
Thanked by:
I have to say, these do look really good. And the titles do look well together. Though if I have one critique, its that when the grass is put together there is like big chunks of just green. Would be great if you could set pixels in a way where that is covered.
[Image: okwksDc.png]
Thanked by:
(07-14-2014, 09:18 PM)Midi Wrote: Looks like you're going for a Gameboy Zelda look, but with 8-directional movement. Sounds cool. Although, recruiting should be done in the requests/commissions board, but I wouldn't mind helping out in exchange for a cameo or something.

Well, I'm not really recruiting, I still expect to be doing most of the work, as I have no way to pay. Cameo's wouldn't be a problem if the game weren't going for an ICO/Shadow of the Colossus sense of solitude, haha. Maybe something like Chris Houlihan's Room would suffice?

(07-14-2014, 09:25 PM)AkumaTh Wrote: I have to say, these do look really good. And the titles do look well together. Though if I have one critique, its that when the grass is put together there is like big chunks of just green. Would be great if you could set pixels in a way where that is covered.

I like the grass a lot, but I agree that fields look a bit.. flat, I guess. I tried fixing that with the flowers and whatnot, but it all looks bland. I'm not sure what you mean by setting pixels a way that covers it, though.
Thanked by:
(07-14-2014, 09:32 PM)nicktheslayer Wrote:
(07-14-2014, 09:18 PM)Midi Wrote: Looks like you're going for a Gameboy Zelda look, but with 8-directional movement. Sounds cool. Although, recruiting should be done in the requests/commissions board, but I wouldn't mind helping out in exchange for a cameo or something.

Well, I'm not really recruiting, I still expect to be doing most of the work, as I have no way to pay. Cameo's wouldn't be a problem if the game weren't going for an ICO/Shadow of the Colossus sense of solitude, haha. Maybe something like Chris Houlihan's Room would suffice?

Sounds cool. What do you need?
Thanked by:
(07-14-2014, 09:32 PM)nicktheslayer Wrote: I like the grass a lot, but I agree that fields look a bit.. flat, I guess. I tried fixing that with the flowers and whatnot, but it all looks bland. I'm not sure what you mean by setting pixels a way that covers it, though.

Sort of like this:

[Image: eRmG6M2.png]

I just added a few pixels here and there and there is a lot less open areas. I'm sure you can do better since this is your style.
[Image: okwksDc.png]
Thanked by:
(07-14-2014, 09:35 PM)Midi Wrote: Sounds cool. What do you need?

Not even sure yet, to be honest. It's very early in development, but I'm working on a list of things needed.

For now, I guess I can use generic enemies. Even as placeholders, it would make it easier to have something other than Zelda sprites.

Ghosts/Ghouls
Skeletons
Slimes, etc.

All colors should be used from the GBC pallet.

With the generic enemies out of my way, I should start more ambitious stuff. I've got this guy to think about...
[Image: 2C1D4310-24AE-4FBE-A927-171F510C73E5_zpsnbuzvkej.jpg]\
Thanked by:
[Image: legs_zpsda03bc4e.png]

Mockup of the legs. I'm trying the rest of his body but man this guy is difficult. I think tomorrow, I'm going to take a break from spriting and work on programming the game some more.

EDIT:
A new day!
(07-14-2014, 09:47 PM)AkumaTh Wrote:
(07-14-2014, 09:32 PM)nicktheslayer Wrote: I like the grass a lot, but I agree that fields look a bit.. flat, I guess. I tried fixing that with the flowers and whatnot, but it all looks bland. I'm not sure what you mean by setting pixels a way that covers it, though.

Sort of like this:

[Image: eRmG6M2.png]

I just added a few pixels here and there and there is a lot less open areas. I'm sure you can do better since this is your style.

Didn't see this until just now. I toned it down a little, but I think it does look better now, actually.

[Image: Tiles_zps6f345b4a.png]
Thanked by:
Hey, do you have the palette you're working with? I find tons of different results when looking for a gameboy color palette.
Thanked by:
(07-16-2014, 11:23 AM)Midi Wrote: Hey, do you have the palette you're working with? I find tons of different results when looking for a gameboy color palette.

I couldn't find one either, so I just use the GBC Zelda sprites for colors. If you do tiles, make sure the colors come from Zelda tiles, and if you do enemies, make sure they come from Zelda enemies, etc.
Thanked by:
Gotcha.
Thanked by:
Lexou Duck Wrote:hello gang, im lexou and this is a short explanation of GBC restrictions

PALETTE
the GBC palette is a 15-bit RGB palette (like the gba and snes)
what that means is that instead of having 0 to 255 values for red green and blue you have 0 to 31
so you can pick any color on MSpaint like you would normally, but the numbers of RGB must be multiples of 8 (cause 256/32=8)
in total you have about 32768 colors :
[Image: RGB_15bits_palette_color_test_chart.png]

SCREEN
the gbc screen is 160x144 pixels, or 20x18 8x8tiles
[Image: gb_screen.png]
There can only be 56 different colors displayed on-screen at any given time

SPRITES
sprites, like for the NES, can be 8x8 pixels or 8x16
each sprite has 4 colors (including transparency) from one of the 8 palettes in the game
yes, there are only 8 4-color palettes for all the sprites in the game, that's 32 different possible colors for every moving object

TILES
they're 8x8 in size, the amount you can make depends on the size of your rom
each tile has 4 colors from the 32768-color palette, no transparency (duh)

ok i think that pretty much covers it
please tell me if i'm wrong about anything
(also idk what's the on-screen sprite limit)
[Image: E3DU8rS.png]
Reference
♥ ♥ ♥ LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥
Omega ; Phant Mmkay ; Baegal ; Gorsal ; Drakocat ; Chaoxys ; TomGuyCott ; Chris2balls ; Mighty Jetters ; Blueblur97 ; NICKtendo DS ;
Kachua (Secret Santa) ; and some more that i need to locate, save and link onto here
(07-14-2014, 09:49 PM)nicktheslayer Wrote: With the generic enemies out of my way, I should start more ambitious stuff. I've got this guy to think about...
[Image: 2C1D4310-24AE-4FBE-A927-171F510C73E5_zpsnbuzvkej.jpg]\

He's a little big, but he looks like a cool character. Maybe you could have him as a blacksmith in your game?
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:
(07-17-2014, 03:14 PM)E-Man Wrote:
(07-14-2014, 09:49 PM)nicktheslayer Wrote: With the generic enemies out of my way, I should start more ambitious stuff. I've got this guy to think about...
[Damn this picture is big!]

He's a little big, but he looks like a cool character. Maybe you could have him as a blacksmith in your game?

This game has a lot of Studio Ghibli kinds of stuff goin on, in terms of character design, so I can't use him simply as a blacksmith. I can't give too much away, so I guess you'll have to try to infer from my sprites what's going on, haha.

Here are some more shadow based enemies.

[Image: ghosties_zps2509ff89.png]

Animated one:
[Image: output_FVVJdO_zps4334104a.gif?t=1405630457]

(07-17-2014, 08:13 AM)Lexou Duck Wrote:
Lexou Duck Wrote:hello gang, im lexou and this is a short explanation of GBC restrictions

PALETTE
the GBC palette is a 15-bit RGB palette (like the gba and snes)
what that means is that instead of having 0 to 255 values for red green and blue you have 0 to 31
so you can pick any color on MSpaint like you would normally, but the numbers of RGB must be multiples of 8 (cause 256/32=8)
in total you have about 32768 colors :
[Image: RGB_15bits_palette_color_test_chart.png]

SCREEN
the gbc screen is 160x144 pixels, or 20x18 8x8tiles
[Image: gb_screen.png]
There can only be 56 different colors displayed on-screen at any given time

SPRITES
sprites, like for the NES, can be 8x8 pixels or 8x16
each sprite has 4 colors (including transparency) from one of the 8 palettes in the game
yes, there are only 8 4-color palettes for all the sprites in the game, that's 32 different possible colors for every moving object

TILES
they're 8x8 in size, the amount you can make depends on the size of your rom
each tile has 4 colors from the 32768-color palette, no transparency (duh)

ok i think that pretty much covers it
please tell me if i'm wrong about anything
(also idk what's the on-screen sprite limit)

That's some good stuff! Since I'm only sticking to a Psuedo-GBC game, I'm not worried about how many on-screen colors or sprites, and tiles will sometimes use transparency, etc. But thanks for the actual answers. Maybe the forum should have a section for these kinds of explanations specifically.
Thanked by: Paladin
I think your designs have been really cool this far (the pig character looks badass), so I hope your game will be equally good Smile
[Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: