Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Movies that scared you as a kid
Discuss whatever movies scared you during your childhood here!

As a kid, not very many movies scared me. Most movies that people found scary as kids never fazed me at all. For one, Secret of NIMH, which most children were scared or disturbed by, never fazed me one bit. To be honest, NIMH was actually one of my favorite childhood movies. But there was one movie...one movie...that would scare the living daylights out of me...

...and it was Gremlins.

My parents had me watch it when I was 5 (because they didn't know any better), and it scared me shitless. It wasn't so much the gremlins themselves or the things they would do, it was their deaths that scared me. All of their deaths (or almost all, it's been years since I last saw it so I only remember a few of them here and there) were extremely gruesome and gory, and most of the time I found myself hiding under my blanket and quivering in fear. I would then go on to having nightmares from those deaths.

So what childhood movies scared you the most, and why?
Not a film, but the Red Dwarf episodes "Polymorph" and "Psiren" gave me nightmares as a kid. I seriously was scared witless by them.

For those of you that don't know Red Dwarf (are you crazy?), it's a British Sci-Fi Comedy...
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Nothing But Trouble was one of my favorite movies as a child but I always found it incredibly creepy. Especially the Judge and those babies.

Quote:For one, Secret of NIMH, which most children were scared or disturbed by, never fazed me one bit.

That one huge spear-wielding rat who almost murders Mrs. Brisby always unsettled me, if just a little. I think it's the eyes.
Thanked by:
I was fucking terrified of the crab in little mermaid as a kid cause I had a nightmare my grandpa made it so he could get in through the sinks in the house.

Other than that, I was more scared by video games than anything.
Thanked by:
(07-10-2014, 05:01 PM)Dazz Wrote: Not a film, but the Red Dwarf episodes "Polymorph" and "Psiren" gave me nightmares as a kid. I seriously was scared witless by them.

For those of you that don't know Red Dwarf (are you crazy?), it's a British Sci-Fi Comedy...

Red Dwarf could be creepy, yeah. I wasn't exactly scared of it, but the scene from "Confidence and Paranoia" where Confidence takes off his space helmet and explodes was somewhat unsettling.

In a similar vein, the scene where the bad guy blows up at the end of Live and Let Die. Laughable now, but pretty creepy as a kid.
[Image: hT1Gf6u.gif]
Thanked by:
The first Resident Evil movie, which really isn't scary at all. I think I hyped it up in my head too much because I was so scared of the games.
[Image: sxv5uJR.gif]
Thanked by:
Another one for games being scarier than movies.

The god damn ReDeads from OoT, man. When I was a kid the only place I could play OoT was at my neighbor friend's house. His yard was connected to mine by a large and steep hill, which his house was at the top of and my house was at the bottom of. Going outside at night, the trees and bushes and rocks all had strange silhouettes and casted long shadows, and they always appeared to be crouched ReDeads waiting to pounce. There were nights where the fear would get to me enough that I'd walk around the front yard and go down the street rather than risk cutting through a ReDead-infested backyard.
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
um

probably that bit in Pinocchio where the boys get mutated into donkeys and sold into slavery

I mean is it just me?
Chalk me up for another "games scared me more than movies when I was a kid". In fact, the logos that came after (or before) the movie (or TV show) were more likely to creep me out.

For instance, we have this depressing piece of work at the beginning of every Wallace and Gromit tape. Or how about this this swirling abomination that proceeds the Scooby-Doo direct-to-video films. Not to mention this spooky-ass piece at the end of one 3-part Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog special.

What really messed me up as child though, was the Columbia-Tristar logo. Mostly because this thing was everywhere on TV shows at the time (almost to the point that I felt it was following me), the amazingly-tryhard bombastic fanfare (which comes dangerously close to something you'd hear in a horror film), and the fact that you nearly can't identify any features on the pegasus' face thanks to the poor contrast in the images (can't blame Youtube for this; I distinctly remember it looking like that on an actual TV screen).

...and then I look back at all of this and realize that I was terrified of a bunch of fucking sliding boxes and lines. Wow, I was scared of the weirdest shit when I was a kid.
Thanked by:
The barbies from Small Soldiers always got me, and I was scared of the Mars Attacks aliens when I first saw it. Its one of my favorite movies from the time now though.
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Thanked by: recme
I wasn't allowed to watch scary movies as a kid, and to be honest I never really wanted to, and still don't. They just don't really appeal to me. However:

(07-10-2014, 06:53 PM)Kriven Wrote: The god damn ReDeads from OoT, man.

The first time I played OoT these were also terrifying for me. Even now they can still give me the creeps sometimes.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: Kriven, Baegal
I really liked Jurassic Park but it scared the shit out of me. I'd hold the remote and mute the sound at the scary parts.

Also, that one Simpsons episode where Mr Burns is an alien used to scare me real bad and the X-Files theme tune still gives me the creeps to this day.

The Labyrinth used to really creep me out too even though it wasn't supposed to be scary. I just found the puppets to be really unsettling.
Thanked by: puggsoy
Movies never really scared me, but as far as video games go...

[Image: Banjo-Kazooie-Clankers-Cavern.jpg]
Thanked by: Tellis, Spacebake, puggsoy, Shade
Any movie with loud, powerful musical stingers tended to scare me as a kid. My main sources of nightmare fuel stemmed from The Secret of NIMH, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and the worst offender of them all was Watership Down, responsible for such imagery as:

[Image: watershipdown5.jpg]
[Image: bigwig.jpg]
[Image: 19.jpg]
[Image: so4dp0.jpg]
[Image: watership-down-00289.png]
Thanked by: Spacebake
they look like something between a dog, a rat and a rabbit. Drogatbbit? Scary stuff anyways.
Thanked by: