Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
SNES Sound Effects Ripping Tutorial
Anybody know how to extract/rip sound effects from a SNES Game without having to play it?
Thanked by:
Hmm, I'm not quite familiar with how to extract sound effects, but I know how to get as many musics samples as you'd like!

I made a tutorial on it here. I know it's a music-making tutorial, but the first half is about extracing SNES samples so that should help!
Thanked by:
Music is nice, but it's the sound effects that are essential.

I need to figure out how to extract sound effects from any of the Looney Tunes SNES games that I have.
Thanked by:
The easiest way I can think of is downloading the game's SPC file from zophar.net and manually plucking out the sound effects using Stereo Mix and an audio recorder such as Audacity.
Thanked by:
I think we may need some Sound Effect Ripping Tutorials in this forum.

To help other users find the best way to extract sound effects from video games.
Thanked by:
In most cases, sound effect ripping isn't any different from music ripping, especially in the case of older consoles like the SNES or Genesis.
Thanked by:
Well, this stinks. Sad

This is gonna make it tough for me to get all of the Sound Effects from any of my Looney Tunes Based Games. Sad
Thanked by:
If the sounds haven't already been extracted and submitted to TSoR or any other site online for that matter, I don't believe there to be any kind of way to access them without owning the game. You're out of luck in that department.
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

Thanked by:
Your best bet is SNESSOR95. It tries to look for BRR samples in the ROM (or SPC or whatever) and lets you export them as WAV.
There are three downsides:
• You never know what the real sample rate is. Easy fix, just trial-and-error them.
• Sometimes the program gives false positives, like, sounds that aren't even sounds really at all. Easy fix, just ignore the weird ones.
• Multi-part sounds or sounds with echo/pan/whatever-effects are not possible. You see, you only get samples, not true 'sound effects' (well, unless the sample is the sound effect). Think about the SMW 1-up sound; it's just one high-pitched "blip" sample played six times on different notes = not rippable with SNESSOR.

Mattrizzle once said
Quote:Also, this SNES SPC700 Player is invaluable when you're trying to see how the code being executed by the sound processor is represented in hexadecimal. It has seven different information displays, which can be accessed by double clicking on the main area of the window when an SPC file is playing. It has other useful features as well, such as the ability to adjust the tempo and pitch.
When we were discussing Donkey Kong Country sound effects. I have not tried the tool, but it sounds pretty advanced (and a bitch to use for a newcomer I guess)

But maybe that's too technical? The way I ripped these Yoshi's Island sounds back in the day was using an OLD SCHOOL method, that is, assigning my emulator's (SNES9X) "dump SPC"-button to the the S-key. I then played the game like normal, but with maybe 50% speed iirc. JUST when I was about to hit the red coin, I started mashing S like a madman. Then I went to the SNES9X's generated "SPCs" folder and checked my results out. All of the SPCs played the music of the level, but a few had the red coin sound play right in the beginning. I turned one channel off, re-listened, turned another channel off, re-listened, ... until the music was completely silent and upon listening the SPC I only heard the red coin sound. That's when I exported the WAV and trimmed it in Audacity. Worth noting, the sound effects are usually played in channels 6, 7 or 8.

If you find a "disable music" Action Replay/Game Genie code for the game, this process becomes even easier!

Good luck.
Once there was a way to get back homeward
Thanked by:
Hm... given the fact that Road Runner's Death Valley Rally may be a problem... anybody got any Music Disabling Cheats for that game?
Thanked by:
Most people Program Those Themselves.

Have you tried SNESSOR yet?
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by:
SNESSOR?

What's that?
Thanked by:
A quick google search is all you need to do, Ian.
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

Thanked by:
SNESSOR... Sound Ripper... Got it.
Thanked by:
(07-14-2014, 02:46 PM)LooneyTunerIan Wrote: SNESSOR?

What's that?

Raccoon Sam posted a link to it right in his post. He even told you what it does in easy-to-follow bullet points...
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by: