Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Regarding the Lounge and General Discussion
Hello, everyone!

I’ve sure you’ve all noticed that there have been some, uh… changes around here.

First off, I’d like to apologize on behalf of the staff for the stuff that went down earlier. I unfortunately was at work as it was going on so there was nothing I could do while it was happening but it’s been a few hours since then and there’s been a lot of talking between a lot of people to figure out a solution to this mess. Also, for those of you who noticed that Sengir is no longer with us, he resigned his moderator position and was banned at his own request. That was his choice, so please respect his decision.

In case you missed it, there was quite a bit of confusion and anger as a result of The Lounge being removed with the resetting of the forum, and that sort of turned into a staff-vs-members argument about what should and shouldn’t be allowed. I hope this post will be able to clarify that for you, as well as explain how things will be going from here forward.

I can’t speak for Dazz or Petie of course, but I’d like to apologize for the lack of communication (and the excess of miscommunication) that went on over the last 48 or so hours and I hope that things can be more transparent between us (the staff) and you (the members) from now on. At the very least I can assure you that there was never intended to be any sort of “Serious Business Zone” or anything like that and nobody was trying to take away the fun from the forum.

Anyway, while we decided not to bring the Lounge back in its previous form, we agreed on a compromise that I hope will satisfy you all.

In short, the Lounge is now gone and General Discussion has new, more relaxed posting rules.

”What’s the point of that? Why not just have the Lounge and be done with it?”
Well, the Lounge kind of ended up being a free-for-all area when it came to posting and that’s the sort of thing that we don’t want. That’s not to say that we’re disallowing fun threads or joke posts or anything; it’s the complete opposite, actually. We still want fun threads where the community can enjoy themselves, but the main issue with the Lounge was that there were a lot of posts and threads that were… quite frankly, garbage. Instead, the aim of the new General Discussion is to still allow off-topic posting and relaxed threads but at the same time ensure that the posts and threads inside are of actual quality and limit those garbage threads wherever possible.

”So you’re telling me that you’re going to be going through each thread and telling people that they’re bad posters and deleting their threads if you don’t like them?”
No, of course not! …Well, not directly, at least. Instead of going through and going “good thread, bad thread,” the main qualifier that we’ll be looking for is whether or not a thread has any sort of actual potential for discussion.

Rule 1.1 states:
Quote: 1.1: Make sure your post has actual content in it.
Single-word posts, short sentence posts, blankposting, and/or quoting a previous post with no additional content added by yourself are generally frowned upon. Don't just post to say "XD" or "lol". Doing this counts as spamming, which will result in a 30% warn and posting rights being revoked for 12 hours. Therefore, put something of at least of SOME additional value to the current topic into your post that people might actually read, and not just scroll past.

And that’s pretty much what we’ll be looking for. Does your thread have something that will actually encourage other people to post in it and is there some form of discussion that could potentially come from it? If so, it’s most likely acceptable.

For example, if a user posts a thread called “Look at this frog” and the post inside is nothing but a lone picture of a frog or just a few words, it’s a pointless thread and will be deleted. On the other hand, if that same thread is posted and the OP actually posts about why the frog is relevant or why they even posted it to begin with (and it’s not an obvious bait/trash thread) then that sort of thing will likely be completely fine, even if it’s a joke thread. Of course, this is all context-dependent and different threads will have different results.

Essentially, while we want you all to have fun, we also want to ensure quality posting and keep it so that General Discussion won’t be filled with dumb, pointless threads. This change isn’t about disallowing people from posting funny things or simple threads or joking; it’s about encouraging the quality of said threads to be better and creating more engaging threads in general.
After discussing it, we came to the conclusion that the Post Funny Images thread is borderline but it DOES fall within the bounds of encouraging discussion and as a result it will be allowed in General Discussion until further notice.

”That just sounds like the Lounge, though. What changes does this being General Discussion mean?”
Aside from the above, General Discussion will still be the same as ever. Birthday, Music, Sports, Movies, TV, Anime, etc threads will all still go in GD as normal as well as any other topics that would have gone there. GD will just now have the Lounge threads in it as well. In addition, since this is no longer the Lounge, it has been unanimously decided that from now on there will be no more forum games. The “Ban The Above User” and “Count To 2048” threads in particular are good examples of threads that have little to no discussion potential (every post was just “banned because x” or “<previous post number image +1>”) and do nothing but add a lot of useless posts to the forums.

”Why combine the sections though?”
The old incarnation of the Lounge had maybe five or so threads that were actually active at any point in time, and having an entire subforum for a bunch of pointless threads (plus the five threads that were actually used) was kind of unnecessary. It makes more sense to just combine them together and then introduce a more relaxed version of the rules that allows for joke threads and stuff but still discourages low-content posts.

To sum it all up:
  • The Lounge is no more and what was there has been deleted. Off-Topic posts will now go in General Discussion. We want fun, quality threads and we do not want spam. This is not the Lounge, so don't post like it.
  • The Post Funny Images thread is now allowed until further notice.
  • No more forum games, period. If you’re unsure, ask a staff member.
  • The general forum rules apply, of course. Don't be jerks.

I’m sorry for the gigantic post but I hope this will explain it all well enough that there is no confusion. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Have fun! Smile

Note- This post is subject to change as necessary.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Wait, so now I can post pictures of cats doing cute things and inflate my post count while doing it?

Wow! I agree with this notion - this is possibly one of the best things to ever happen to VGR :0)

Half of the point of the Lounge, though was to ensure those pointless posts posted didn't contribute to your post count though, so in a sense you couldn't build up your "post cred" in the forum, hence abusing the request forum's rules.
Do you guys have any plans to limit the post counts of those who post in the silly threads of GD now (by possibly comparing the forum stats to post count and then hand-counting the number of posts made by the member and then editing each user's post count by hand?)
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
As we said, there won't be any "super silly" threads, thus the concern is gone. What it does mean, however, is that post count will be increased by people contributing to the discussions that do have some volume to them which we will allow. Post count isn't really that important, let's be honest, as we have some users with only 100 posts but every one of them full of quality.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Hey what about things like that werewolf game Sol hosted and the Roll To Dodge thing Keiang did, is that sort of thing allowed, I for one think it should be.
I know that sort of thing doesnt happen much but it should probably be addressed before the clay dries.
[Image: Little_lamp_in_dark_room.jpg]

I'm not going to lie, the funny images thread is probably my favorite thread.

It looks like some serious stuff went down here earlier. I'm kinda glad I missed it.

[Image: 357n7r6_zps67bc167e.gif]
(07-07-2014, 08:52 PM)Zadaben Wrote: Hey what about things like that werewolf game Sol hosted and the Roll To Dodge thing Keiang did, is that sort of thing allowed, I for one think it should be.
I know that sort of thing doesnt happen much but it should probably be addressed before the clay dries.

Werewolf OH GOD YES

Dodge to roll, maybe? I dunno it didn't have as much discussion as Werewolf did and keep in mind Werewolf was strong enough to be hosted in the General Discussion and not the Lounge as it wouldn't fit properly in the Lounge. I don't think Dodge to Roll carries that kind of weight.
M A C H I N E G U N
         ⌒°。>◡<)⌒°
             /_▄︻し┻┳═一(いち)(いち)  ┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨
[Image: tumblr_mr2bjoHi1v1qh8espo1_400.gif][Image: NfIxSTK.gif]
Thanked by: Zadaben, Sol, Aquarius
(07-07-2014, 08:52 PM)Zadaben Wrote: Hey what about things like that werewolf game Sol hosted and the Roll To Dodge thing Keiang did, is that sort of thing allowed, I for one think it should be.

I was hoping someone would ask about Werewolf.
I'm not sure what Roll to Dodge is but Werewolf will definitely be allowed, as Kat said.
Thanked by: Zadaben, Sol, Aquarius
roll to dodge was a thing where someone runs a game and gives everyone who joins a scenario and they give the person running the game their actions for their turns
then the runner rolls a die (or just gets a random number from a generator) and determines how your action fares depending on the number
so it's sort of like an online tabletop game with very little structure
Thanked by: Zadaben, Aquarius
That sounds like it might be fine but can I get a link?
Thanked by:
right here, sir
Thanked by:
I was actually going to ask about Dodge to Roll because I want to make my own version (TSRQuest), but it would be much more structured than Keiang's one, with proper stats for each character and an actual quest, rather than random happenings. It'd still be fairly free and open but a bit more interesting as the players would have a goal (and it'd probably be less Lounge-like in the process).
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
that sounds to me like an actual online tabletop game, which sounds really fun.
Roll to Dodge seems okay as long as it doesn't get out of hand and there aren't a bunch of different topics or anything.
It's pretty borderline, but... keep it contained and it should be fine, I suppose.
Thanked by: Zadaben, puggsoy, Aquarius
While we're on the subject of which threads are allowed, can we have the thread where we talked about why we changed our avatars and signatures back?
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by: Aquarius
Sure, that was in the original GD, those threads are welcome to come back, it is just certain lounge threads that might not.
M A C H I N E G U N
         ⌒°。>◡<)⌒°
             /_▄︻し┻┳═一(いち)(いち)  ┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨
[Image: tumblr_mr2bjoHi1v1qh8espo1_400.gif][Image: NfIxSTK.gif]
Thanked by: E-Man, Aquarius