Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Batch/Multi File Downloading
Is there a way for me to download all the models/sprites/textures/sounds of a given game at once as a rar or a zip or even just as individual files?

Some games have hundreds of assets of each of those, so if we want them all, it's not really feasible to manually click each one, then click the download link, then hit back, and repeat.
Thanked by:
I'm afraid not. Not only would doing so destroy our server with an automated script, it'd be a complete bandwidth hog too. Our site is kept online by the ads seen on the site - introducing a download all button would cut down on ad impressions by about a good 60-70%, and we would have to subsequently shut up shop.

Sorry Sad
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by:
(06-26-2014, 01:37 AM)Dazz Wrote: I'm afraid not. Not only would doing so destroy our server with an automated script, it'd be a complete bandwidth hog too. Our site is kept online by the ads seen on the site - introducing a download all button would cut down on ad impressions by about a good 60-70%, and we would have to subsequently shut up shop.

Sorry Sad

Well that sucks. Looks like I'll have to set aside a good 3 hours to download everything then. I do want to say that I appreciate the fact you guys host this content at all, it's a great resource.

Maybe you could look into offering some sort of paid account where this is enabled, or something of that sort?
Thanked by:
(06-26-2014, 12:18 PM)MajoraZ Wrote: Maybe you could look into offering some sort of paid account where this is enabled, or something of that sort?

I don't know why I like this idea

The VIP Resource, mass downloading and look at all the sprites the Internet didn't want you to see ;O
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by:
(06-26-2014, 02:26 PM)Kosheh Wrote:
(06-26-2014, 12:18 PM)MajoraZ Wrote: Maybe you could look into offering some sort of paid account where this is enabled, or something of that sort?

I don't know why I like this idea

The VIP Resource, mass downloading and look at all the sprites the Internet didn't want you to see ;O

Well, i'd rather it be more like "You can download more then one thing at once, but you have to watch X minutes of ads in order to do so given Y amount of stuff being downloaded". I'd be willing to sit through 5 mins of ads to download 50 sprites at once.
Thanked by:
If it was a paid account (regularly paid, not one-off) then you wouldn't have to sit through ads since your payment would probably be put towards hosting, which is the very purpose of ads.
I don't find it a necessarily bad idea, but the existence of a "premium" membership could cause people who aren't part of that feel inferior, or vice versa ("premium" members may feel superior) which could give the place a less friendly atmosphere.

A free system of watching a certain amount of ads to download a certain number of sheets is maybe better. But either way, I think what Dazz said about an automated script destroying the server would still be valid, payment/ads or not (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't exactly understand what he means).
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
(06-26-2014, 05:56 PM)puggsoy Wrote: If it was a paid account (regularly paid, not one-off) then you wouldn't have to sit through ads since your payment would probably be put towards hosting, which is the very purpose of ads.
I don't find it a necessarily bad idea, but the existence of a "premium" membership could cause people who aren't part of that feel inferior, or vice versa ("premium" members may feel superior) which could give the place a less friendly atmosphere.

A free system of watching a certain amount of ads to download a certain number of sheets is maybe better. But either way, I think what Dazz said about an automated script destroying the server would still be valid, payment/ads or not (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't exactly understand what he means).

You are correct on all fronts. First of all, I'm pretty sure Dazz and I have discussed premium accounts in the past (not in reference to implementing them - just about them in general) and agreed that it wasn't the best way to go about things for exactly the reason you said - it alienates people. From my own perspective, it brings the "pay to win" mentality that I so despise in modern gaming to one of my own projects and that's something that wouldn't sit well with me.

More importantly though, this isn't an issue of revenue - it's an issue of resources. Believe it or not, we actually already have the system you're requesting in place but it's temporary and limited to only those participating in the icon renovation. Even in this limited environment, we've run into some issues with the script failing on larger games. Trying to release a feature that's already problematic to a tiny portion of our user base out to the public only invites disaster.

For the curious, the issue we're seeing with this feature is that the script basically takes too long to build the zip file for very large games. The easy solution is to simply increase the limit for processing time but doing so then adds the risk of overloading the server as more and more people attempt to use long-running scripts. So, short of investing in infrastructure far beyond the scope of this project to handle load balancing, there's simply no feasible way to make this happen.
Thanked by: puggsoy