Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
kenji's metroid sprite topic
*sighs* sorry I have been gone for so long, but now I am back *the internet wouldn't let me on here for some reason* but now it works and I should be able to keep contact for a little while, now on topic, after I was unable to get back on here, I have been working with different rips and making new things, I have gotten a lot better and now I am back with a really good custom! I started this cuz I am the official spriter for FSMR (first super metroid remake) so say hello to pieces of the newly made draygon! note it is NOT done.
and these draygon pieces in the example are darkSB24's rip, they are for a referenced to show you the comparison, so don't get the wrong Idea.... I have the head done, BUT I'll post it up when it's complete, it looks awesome!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[Image: newtitlescreen-42.png]
Thanked by:
It'll look better when some of your work is actually on your sheet...
~ Returned from the brink ~

My submissions - My other sheets
Thanked by:
Might be a bit too big for your Samus, but they're pretty good.
You also might want to indicate what is yours, because people like the one above me might get confused.

The smaller ones are yours, right?
[Image: ZRdfkWQ.jpg]
Thanked by:
hey miles, as you can see, I'm back! I am showing you those for a reference. and yes, the smaller ones are mine. Here wait......... does this work? I am showing the older sprites as references and I also have my custom of course. so the originals are references.

Thanked by:
*recolor* At, least, it looks like one, but you need to edit out the little pipe-like thing at the end of the Spawn's tail in order for it to be right.

Alright, alright... I know you have a lot of sheets and projects to be working on right now...

Thanked by:
It's not a recolor, that's obvious at first glance, without zooming in, because their shapes are different.

Please make sure next time, instead of accusing immediately.

Kenji, it looks like you know your stuff. It's obvious they aren't edits or recolors. But why did you decide on a style that is so close to the original? Yes, yours are better, I'll give you that, but why fix something that ain't broke? Aren't you better off remixing an older, crappier style?

Anyway, I guess that's not your fault.
CRITS!

[Image: editshn1.png]
Yours>Mine

You already know most of this, so I'm just expounding.
-CONTRAST, yes, you do have contrast, but I think you can push it more, especially saturation-wise. Not only does the hue change, but the saturation does too. Generally, the saturation gets lower the darker the shadows. Also, most of the darker ones had values too close to each other. At x1 zoom, four of them were indistinguishable. I removed one color and increased the contrast between the three other colors.
-LIGHTSOURCE, you have a good grasp of forms, and you know how to avoid pillowshading, so I just edited some few bits a little.
-OUTLINES, I don't think it's a good idea to use the same color inside as you're using as their outline. What I did instead was use selout, which is basically using a lighter outline on lighter areas and a darker outline on darker areas.I did a quick and messy job though, so you should do better.

Also, you have a bit of pillowshading going on with the feet. I know they did that in the originals, but they look crappy too.

All in all, excellent work, send me a link when the remake is done, yeah? Smile
Thanked by:
well, It's one of my first customs, pretty good for a first shot though eh? and do you expect me to use your...... little draygon + the colors? and the outline idea is good, I guess I'll fix that, and the legs/arms.....
Thanked by:
Well, the idea of someone else editing your work is so you can see which changes you want to implement. Because sometimes, you might see something someone has changed that you might not like, so you can only implement the changes you DO want.

Anyway, it's best to do it yourself. That way, you learn. Wink
And my edit was a rush thing, so it's not really that polished.

If this was one of your first customs, yes, it's very good. Either way, it's nice.
Thanked by:
As long as you stay in-palette, though...

Though... You might not need to worry so much about this. Just keep doin' your thing, Kenji.

Thanked by:
thanks, now lets fix things............
Thanked by:
sorry I haven't posted in a while, I have been quite busy of late.... here is an update, I fixed some of the lights n stuff, also I have included the head finally and I just want to know if anythings wrong (if you see something wrong with the lights, I did not work on them much =P)
here it is:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanked by:
Um... It's gonna have eyelids, right? 'Cuz the eyes look WAY too freaky (in a bad way) for it to not have eyelids...

Thanked by:
The eye is far too round to look like Draygon's eye. I need to look more oval like.
Thanked by:
Indee-- Oh, hello there, FP. Welcome to TSR.

Well, yes the eyes need to be more oval.

Eww... It just... It...
IT JUST DOESN'T LOOK RIGHT! Cry

Thanked by:
umm... sure, I'll fix it, and yes it is going to have eyelids Tongue Ill fix it tomorrow..... I missed my bus and had to walk at least 5 to 6 miles to get to my house Cry
Thanked by: