Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
HD Super Metroid Samus Sprite
Hello all, i thought i should get away from the [initial drama of the] other thread and create new ones for my Jason and Samus sprite respectively. This is the Samus thread of course, and here is the progress i've made:

Most Recent at time of post:
[Image: 9sgv9BZ.png]

i'm not too happy with the cannon, but that may get fixed soon if possible. Any advice is welcomed, especially on the hand and cannon, just know that the cannon is skewed by perspective (the head is facing the viewer while her elbow is nearly behind her) Also, i'm using the original palette ONLY.

and keep in mind her Super Metroid design:
[Image: DqH6bA6.jpg]
you know, i hope i don't have to do the cannon over again facing the other way, i keep second guessing myself over it's position by comparing the sprites before and after it..the only thing i can figure is this is the position it would be on the way back in front of her. and maybe she has a slight girly swing in her run. (swinging arms in the same direction)
Thanked by:
[Image: 7vCtv8e.png] I did some tweaking on the cannon, I think this looks better! what do you think?
Thanked by: Shade
[Image: on8Mo5h.png] just to show i'm doing some work on it..at work. i can't seem to work on my sprites at home >_>
Thanked by:
The specular on her chest piece looks blocky. Also can't comment on the arm since no features appear to be added yet.
Thanked by:
you mean the light area on her red chest part? that's cuz i haven't done anything with it yet, other than move it up some. = ] and yeah i hope the arm will look better once i add details! o-o
Thanked by:
Looking pretty great so far!
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by: zye1984
Looking great so far! I always get excited over people making HD versions of classic sprites. Big Grin
God is good.  Big Grin

An old fart who sits on a chair, giving animation and pixeling advice,... and calls everyone son...
Thanked by: recme, zye1984
[Image: N9VT7eY.png] almost done..things that have little detail are HARDER for me to do, which is highly weird.
Thanked by:
The abdomen has a lot of banding, those lines running down her tricep/bicep are jaggy and that blue streak under her shoulderplate looks pillowshaded. I think at this scale the visor looks too flat, too. Think you could add more detail to that?
[Image: shrine.gif]
Thanked by: Paladin
(06-15-2014, 06:42 AM)Iocus Wrote: The abdomen has a lot of banding, those lines running down her tricep/bicep are jaggy and that blue streak under her shoulderplate looks pillowshaded. I think at this scale the visor looks too flat, too. Think you could add more detail to that?

maybe later, but the "for fun" part of this was to only use the original palette. and technically the visor wouldn't have definition as it supposed to be glowing. = ] i do agree it looks flat though. not sure what i'm to do with the abdomen, there's lots of detail there to avoid spriting taboos. *EDIT: LOL i want to fix it though it's bothering me now.

could you elaborate on the blue streak thing? o-o i'm not sure what ya mean.
Thanked by:
(06-15-2014, 11:47 AM)zye1984 Wrote: maybe later, but the "for fun" part of this was to only use the original palette. and technically the visor wouldn't have definition as it supposed to be glowing. = ] i do agree it looks flat though. not sure what i'm to do with the abdomen, there's lots of detail there to avoid spriting taboos. *EDIT: LOL i want to fix it though it's bothering me now.

could you elaborate on the blue streak thing? o-o i'm not sure what ya mean.

[Image: V0L6VFc.png]
Who said anything about going outside the palette? : P
Not sure if this will be to your liking, but you can get creative with your colors and use, for instance, the shades for the cannon to give some detail to the visor. Just a suggestion!

As for the blue streak, basically, since it has shadows at the top, at the bottom, left and right, it just seems like the lighting is coming from the inside (that little lighting there is to blame.) If you just meant to anti-alias, you might be doing it a little too aggressively.

The problem with the abdomen is kind of similar, in that you are highlighting by parts instead of by area. Try doing something a little more like the pauldron maybe, where the shadows are independent of the shapes on the surface, since the inclination change on the pieces on her abdomen isn't really that drastic.
[Image: shrine.gif]
oh crud...should i get rid of the paudron's shadow since it wasn't there to begin with..? there's supposed to be a pretty big shadow under that arm..cruuud...
Thanked by:
[Image: aOvtXvT.png] here's an attempt to fix the abdomen area..it's kinda hard since i have like a pixel width to work with in most of the areas and trying to put highlights on the lines like the rest of the image with the light. i kinda still like the original.

ps, the largest yellow area is a lot bigger around than the tummy area, it's like she's wearing an armor corset, so i would guess it would have a little different lighting.

EDIT: some fiddling with the shadow and the visor: [Image: msmGLQy.png]
Thanked by:
I think it looks smashing so far; I like to see HD reimaginings of familiar graphics. You see how long it takes just to do one frame though? Imagine animating this.
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Thanked by: zye1984