Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
The Fighter's Resource [Program] (Updated 4/26/17)
The Fighter's Resource: Not-So-Turbo Edition

For Official TFR thread, click here.

Welcome to the TFRNSTE thread! This version of TFR is a simpler version crafted in 2D Fighter Maker 2002 rather than from scratch. The advantage of this version is that it is fairly easy to program, even if some elements of it are a bit cryptic, as I will mention partially below, and that a playable version of the game will be available for public consumption sooner. This version will more than likely be inferior to the from-scratch version whenever that is completed, but until then this is merely meant to tickle your TFR taste buds.

With that said, this thread is meant to be EXCLUSIVELY about this version of the game. Updates or new sheets should probably remain in the original TFR threads, as I keep track of them fairly regularly, and if you ever have a concern whether or not I'd see an update I don't mind you shooting me a PM.

For some reason the window closes just after I start up the .exe. Is anybody else having this problem?
I'm trying to download and reinstall it.
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by: Shade, TomGuycott
Sorry, i probably forgot to include an integral file. Sad I am on my way to work, so I can't fix it until later.

Also any sort of error messages if any or a screenshot of how it looks would be helpful.
Thanked by:
Heh, you used my love as placeholder title screen.
God, these opponents are brutal. It's fun to actually play something working of this project. Nothing special to report. I got this working, probably because I saved the folder over the older one, replacing old files and keeping certain files that were missing in the new folder.
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
My Game Maker games (Dropbox download links):

Thanked by: Chris2Balls [:B]
Okay, I figured out the problem and why Nick was able to use elements from the previous version: somehow C2B got corrupted. :<

http://www.mediafire.com/download/76mutm...Rver02.zip

Not to worry, though, I had been saving my previous versions as I go, so I had a previous version available after a lot of trying to get the program to recognize it. I tested it a whole bunch and now it should work properly.

The loss includes some of the edits to his physics, as well as both his special moves, so unfortunately those can't be tested. They still needed ironing out anyway, but I understand it's a disappointment all the same :< Sorry, especially since C2B is one of the people who pointed it out to me. I feel like you've been punished for being proactive. Sad Sad Sad

Not to worry, though, I'll get him fixed up from here and see to it that he is more complete next time!

Also if this somehow still does not work, let me know right away! I'll look further into it until I find the source of the problem.
That's okay, I imported the .player file from 0.2 and it works!

Is there any way you can make the menu more legible/user-friendly?
I was thinking: to get a better feel for the gameplay, perhaps you could give some some visual and audio feedback to the hits?
Also, a broader question: should we be able to juggle?

Keep going TomGuycott, this is turning out more and more promising! Smile

Thanked by: Paladin, TomGuycott
Thanks for the feedback Chris! Let me answer your questions:

-Yes, the title screen is about to get much more legible. Next release I plan to utilize Gors' menu design as best I can (certain options won't work yet, for example), and you'll at least be able to know what you are doing. Prettiness will have to come later, however. The same goes for the fighter screen, I'm gonna try to clean that up next.

-[robo9] has prototype hit sparks to give you an idea of what they'd be like. I'll add some to everyone for the next release, but they'll likely be placeholders. I have the ability for players to have custom hit sparks should the desire arise. For example, Neko would probably benefit more from having slash-like hit sparks.

-As for sounds, I might just add placeholders for that as well. Does anyone have suggestions for what we should actually use, though? Should they be like 8-bit quality, or actual punch and kick sounds?

-For juggling, the original game plan seemed to want to include it. Many moves were designed to have a pop-up mechanic. So far lots of characters can juggle, or at least pop a guy up and follow up with a ground or air attack. However, some need balancing. Vipershark can juggle infinitely right now, for example. The counter actions I will put in for excessive juggles are gradual additions of gravity as the combo progresses until they can't be juggled anymore, and invincibility frames for victims of attacks that really shouldn't lead into a juggle.

Keep playin around with it and let me know if you have other suggestions! I love everyone's characters so far, but I think I'd really recommend playing Ocksford for some quirky fun. I'm really fond of how his jump kick came out, though I don't know if it is how he intended.
I've been wondering, what's up with the color loss? Can it be remedied?
The other games I've seen seem to handle bright colors just fine, so it got me curious.
I for one am glad somebody is doing programming effort for this in some form, so thanks for that!
Thanked by: recme, TomGuycott
Iocus: the game engine, like RPGMaker, only handles 8-bit bitmap file, which means unless we change TSR's palette to that 256 one (or close enough to it), there will be colour loss.

TomGuycott: Labchirp, perhaps? It's got some good presets to make videogame sounds with. I've made a couple of sounds with Labchirp which can be placeholders for now. Here they are.

I've been playing as my own character most of the time, and I think that the two second delay for the crouch punch is perhaps a bit too long, especially as the other characters are quite a bit faster. I liked the way it was in robo's build of TFR, but somewhere between how it is currently and that would be great!
Another thing: I guess the air kick's column of baguettes hasn't been implemented yet?

Thanks! Big Grin

Edit: I tried fixing the link to the sounds... does it work?

Thanked by: TomGuycott, Iocus
The delay on the crouch punch was based on what it said on the sheet about wanting it to have a charge time and invincibility frames, but I agree, and it's usually one of the moves I use the least. I think I will eliminate lag time at the cost of invincibility frames I think.
Updated the first post with a new build. It didn't have as much as I wanted to add to it for this release, but I added a lot more since the last one anyway, so... it might tide people over.
Hmm seems to be laggy as all hell on this new one. and I have a pretty decent PC playing things like dark souls and all. Not sure why its like that though.
Thanked by: TomGuycott
Runs fine on my laptop (i5 2540m, intel graphics), on linux with wine.

Gameplay is pretty good, and I even managed to finish the game! (Spamming C2B's champagne bottle...)

Menu graphics are all messed up though, I don't know if that's normal.
I manage an emulation project called Chip16, check it out!
Peace!
Thanks for the feedback!

Regarding the lag issue, I am not 100% sure what is causing it, but since the game is forcing me to use WAV files for the music right now the file sizes are HUGE. If that's not causing it, maybe try clicking the Options tab in the window. If you choose Game there's an option for game speed.

Menu graphics will still be mostly messed up for a little while longer. X:
Thanked by:
Wow, I have to say, you're making good progress! The hit system and sounds really are great additions, this build was pretty fun to play! The menus are improving too, haha. I've noticed that you've managed to keep the original colours for the characters.
I've tried Baegal and C2B so far, I'm trying out the rest. I like Metaru and Neko.

Keep going man! Smile

Edit: a little request: how about making the falls bounce a bit, which could create a potential opening to a combo/juggle? I see that you can do something similar when you hit the sides of the stage, so I was wondering if it were something you had in mind.
Also, Neko's stage is looking pretty fantastic with that parallax.

Edit 2: Is it possible to change the configuration of the keys for VS mode? I've just tried and it's kind of fiddly.

Thanked by: TomGuycott