Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[WIP] 8-Bit Lil' Mario :3
Thumbs Down 
Hallo! Tongue

I'm doing a little "project' of a custom 8-Bit Mario sprite sheet + some GIFs to show the animations. Every sprites have a 16x16 size maximum and only 3 colors + transparency taken from the NES palette. Enjoy!

UPDATED! 05/13/14
Sprite sheet (WIP):
[Image: ZrfUDB8MSI.png]

UPDATED! 05/13/14
GIFs:

Walking Cycle:
1x: (Courtesy of Gors)
[Image: cBcpm42.gif]

8x: (Courtesy of Gors)
[Image: eWksmEb3eb.gif]

Swimming Cycle:
1x:
[Image: kZJqwpnlyV.gif]

8x:
[Image: yEvHGA2ZiK.gif]

Might sumbit the sprite sheet to TSR under "Custom" after completion.
[Image: ErtTUaIarb.png]
Thanked by:
It could just be me, but it seems like he's walking backwards. I think perhaps he's just standing so upright that it looks almost like leaning back, and might look better if you leaned him slightly forward.
Thanked by: Kitsu, MaxiGamer™
(05-11-2014, 06:42 PM)Devicho Wrote: It could just be me, but it seems like he's walking backwards. I think perhaps he's just standing so upright that it looks almost like leaning back, and might look better if you leaned him slightly forward.

I don't see the problem, but I'll arrange that for your and the other's own viewing enjoyment. Smile

UPDATE: Modified the first walking frame to make it lean forward and added jumping and falling sprites.
[Image: 2RbNHUg8rD.png]
[Image: Pp8OdjfwSL.gif]
[Image: cnyuGMAeMB.gif]
Thanked by:
The arms aren't reacting the correct way, or so it seems. When you walk, the right leg moves back, and your left arm moves forward, and the opposite happens to the opposite limbs.
Thanked by:
It would probably be better if the legs went the same visual distance for each pose after the transitional sprite. one reason for this is because walk cycles are typically symmetrical motions (unless the character is limping or putting particular emphasis on one step and not the other) because as it stands, there's only one frame that really communicates that he's supposed to be walking and that's the one where his legs are sprawled out.

with lower resolution sprites, it's more important to emphasize the motion than it is to be physically accurate(foreshortening and stuff like that)

there's also the issue of the buttons holding in the down position for most of the animation and popping up for a single frame of it.
Salvador Dali Wrote: Begin by learning to draw and paint like the old masters. After that, you can do as you like; everyone will respect you.
[Image: shrine.gif]
Thanked by: MaxiGamer™
(05-11-2014, 07:35 PM)Level 1 Wrote: The arms aren't reacting the correct way, or so it seems. When you walk, the right leg moves back, and your left arm moves forward, and the opposite happens to the opposite limbs.

I think it seems like it because the legs are blending in each other since they are the same color, so you can't difference to left from the right leg... Or I'm just stoopid Tongue.
I should try to do something about it.

(05-11-2014, 07:37 PM)Sketchasaurus Wrote: It would probably be better if the legs went the same visual distance for each pose after the transitional sprite. [...]

there's also the issue of the buttons holding in the down position for most of the animation and popping up for a single frame of it.

That's what I was thinking. I'll fix all of that soon or later (not too late I hope, knowing me... lazy without any willingness about doing something that takes my time... :/).

UPDATE: Modified the awkward legs' movement and color-blending and the buttons weird placement.
[Image: O7SrdWm3YP.png]
[Image: UdvV3ADRW5.gif]
[Image: Muts3bWM3l.gif]
Thanked by:
i edited your sprites a little to show the flaws, mainly his posing and the animation's stiffness.

[Image: 9facd0ae6236f705e8801d2a1cceb45d.png]

the original stance looks unbalanced and mario seems to b eleaning back, i fixed that.

some of the walking frames are too busy due to the number of stray pixels, in NES sprites you gotta simplify in order to improve readability, because of the limitations.

Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Looks good, but I think you guys got it backwards. Opposites do go forward/backward at the same time when you're swinging your arms and walking, thus when the right arm is forward, the left leg is forward. When it's backwards, and the right arm is going forward at the same time as the right leg, it looks like the character is waddling...like a penguin. It'd help to make what's in the back all black pixels, except maybe the top of it to show some lighting, for the sake of depth.
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Thanked by:
I did not add shading on the legs for three main reasons:

1- too few colors to shade,
2- the passing frame is the same in both steps, so the legs must be ambiguous, and
3- readability is more important than anatomy in this situation.

Of course if you want to do tht, you can. My suggestion is not the perfect way to make sprites, it is just a friendly suggestion.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
AHMAHGAWD! Thank you, Gors! I'll try to apply your "friendly suggestion" on my next sprites.
Big Grin
Thanked by:
[Image: 9LFHr.jpg]
Just messing around here, thought I would see if it could be made so you could tell which leg is in which direction by adding an underline. Also made a Donkey Kong palette version, just to see how it looks. ^^
Thanked by: E-Man, MaxiGamer™
Big Grin

I love the DK palette!
Cute

UPDATE: Changed some sprites with Gors' modified ones, added swimming sprites and alternative palettes.
Other minor changes.

[Image: ZrfUDB8MSI.png]

GIF, courtesy of Gors

Swimming Cycle:
[Image: kZJqwpnlyV.gif]
Thanked by:
The swimming is extremely stiff looking. He should be kicking is feet too.

I made a quick lil thing to show what I was talking about before...
[Image: CustomMario_zps1b29a381.gif]

The use of the dark pixels can add depth, and make it so you can clearly see what's in the back and what's not. Also the correct arms move forward with the correct legs.
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Thanked by: E-Man, MaxiGamer™
Keep up the sprites, dude! Big Grin
[Image: thumbsupmario_by_quirbstheepic-d7ia10s.png]
So I present you with a thumbs up.
c e r t i f i e d   m e m e l o r d .
>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM0jv_z...IciomDGEmQ << you should check this out
Thanked by: MaxiGamer™
(05-13-2014, 08:09 PM)Koh Wrote: The swimming is extremely stiff looking. He should be kicking is feet too.

I made a quick lil thing to show what I was talking about before...
[Image: CustomMario_zps1b29a381.gif]

The use of the dark pixels can add depth, and make it so you can clearly see what's in the back and what's not. Also the correct arms move forward with the correct legs.

I see what do you mean. But I'll work on that another time.
Gotta go sleep, I'm tired.

(05-13-2014, 08:38 PM)Quirby64 Wrote: Keep up the sprites, dude! Big Grin
[Image: thumbsupmario_by_quirbstheepic-d7ia10s.png]
So I present you with a thumbs up.

Thanks! I love it. Big Grin
But it looks like he's "kinda" flipping the bird... or the index (for me anyway).
Thanked by: E-Man