Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
New Signature Limitations.
I'm introducing a new limitation on signatures, due to the confusion a number of signatures have begun to cause.

From now on, all signatures must abide by a maximum height of 200px. As we use a scalable theme, this does not mean you can use 100% of the width, as this is dependent upon what resolution you are viewing the site.

If your signature goes over 200px, the site will automatically cut the content off, and it will be rendered invisible.

I'm sorry if this causes any issues with any of you, but this is a change that will hopefully make the forum easier to navigate and read.

All the best.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by: psychospacecow
I noticed the changes to the signature the moment I saw the black bar. Not only do I like this new look, but it also prevents users from going all out with tall images in their signatures.

My only minor gripe is that if a user wants to dedicate a section of their signature for love and references, that would be a problem if their list grows way too long. I know that spoiler tags do a good job of not cluttering those kinds of features, but perhaps it would be possible to incorporate a small scrolling bar to the side to allow you to scroll down the signature and see everything that was cut off? If that's not possible, than I can understand that.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:
I'm all for this addition. Signatures that are too tall can get kinda annoying, and increases loading time.

Thanks a lot for this.

@E-Man I don't know if everyone can, but wouldn't it be possible to create albums for love so you only need one link?
[Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: Mystie
(05-07-2014, 06:17 AM)E-Man Wrote: I noticed the changes to the signature the moment I saw the black bar. Not only do I like this new look, but it also prevents users from going all out with tall images in their signatures.

My only minor gripe is that if a user wants to dedicate a section of their signature for love and references, that would be a problem if their list grows way too long. I know that spoiler tags do a good job of not cluttering those kinds of features, but perhaps it would be possible to incorporate a small scrolling bar to the side to allow you to scroll down the signature and see everything that was cut off? If that's not possible, than I can understand that.

If you are so concerned about people receiving too much love like this, then they have 200 pixels of room to play with still - that's a lot of room if they feel they need to display all the gifts they've ever received.

I'm all for people showing gratitude to each other, but displaying gifts isn't entirely necessary - I don't have a problem with it, of course, but I'm just saying that this is an issue for people that make it an issue. Not that I don't respect that it's a problem that may come up, but taking off the gift you received from 2009 is also of course an option Tongue
We could run away
When there's no Mondays

Thanked by:
I personally think this signature size enforcement is a good idea (personally, I would have made it a height of 300 pixels, but whatever, not my forum)

But oh lord - I don't know if this is intentional or just a side effect of whatever you did to make the signatures a fixed width, but I noticed the small size "topic" postbit in each post is also gone.
I'm honestly not sure what the point of removing it was (I assume to "clean up" the posts) but at the moment, how you have it with leaving the post number bit, posts now look really sloppy.
It's extremely evident when you quote a post.

If all you did was comment out the topic titles, consider putting an "&nbsp"; instead, so the small bit above the post is still there. That way it wouldn't encroach on the other text that makes up the top of each post, and it'd look a lot cleaner that way...though I'm sure it's a work in progress, so if you've got plans, then w/e I'm looking forward to how nice they'll look in the end.

BTW, is the signature enforcement a plugin, or is it hard-coded into the forum?
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by: Kriven, Mystie
(05-07-2014, 09:45 AM)Kosheh Wrote: I noticed the small size "topic" postbit in each post is also gone.
I'm honestly not sure what the point of removing it was (I assume to "clean up" the posts) but at the moment, how you have it with leaving the post number bit, posts now look really sloppy.

Huh, I thought something else looked different.

Oh well, really digging the restriction, but I'm not too big of a fan on the thick black line. I think it was better with the thin grey one, but that's just me
[Image: 803ce84258.gif]
Thanked by: Kriven, Kosheh
(05-07-2014, 09:47 AM)[MachoBot RoboSavage] Wrote:
(05-07-2014, 09:45 AM)Kosheh Wrote: I noticed the small size "topic" postbit in each post is also gone.

Huh, I thought something else looked different.

Oh well, really digging the restriction, but I'm not too big of a fan on the thick black line. I think it was better with the thin grey one, but that's just me

Yeah, I think that line could actually be just one pixel shorter.

I'd suggest checking postbit_signature and changing the "hr" element:
Code:
<hr style="width: 80%; height: 1px; color: #DDD; border-bottom: 1px #FFF; text-align:center;">

Add "!important" at the end of the CSS string if the code is being stubborn.

Changes the lines the match the Apart post borders (with one grey solid line and a white border)
It'll be more aesthetically pleasing, babies will giggle and Gors will smile.
Thanked by:
I've modified the separator now, hopefully that should be more pleasing.

I've also moved the post number to the bottom left of each post, alongside the time and date it was posted. It's a more logical place, and clears up that bug with quote boxes.
We could run away
When there's no Mondays

Thanked by:
(05-07-2014, 11:26 AM)Dazz Wrote: I've also moved the post number to the bottom left of each post, alongside the time and date it was posted.

This might have worked if it weren't for situations like this, where the date is anything but "Today 00:00 AM/PM" or such, and thus causes the date to start running into the forum buttons.

Just thought I should point that out, IDK if anything can be done to fix that specifically, though.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
In addition to Dazz's post, maximum image width is 700 pixels.
Anything wider than that will cause the auto-scaler to kick in, which WILL make your image cut off.

If you're going for an image-only signature, that makes the maximum size 700x200. Anything bigger won't show up correctly.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
Oh, oops. I was looking at my code and uh, I just realized:

Code:
<hr style....background-color: #DDD;>

NOT JUST color: #DDD;

My mistake! That'll show me for coding off the top of my head between tasks at the office without testing first ):

I'd suggest using #CCC so it's a little more pronounced, but it's up to you!
Thanked by:
(05-07-2014, 12:48 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote:
(05-07-2014, 11:26 AM)Dazz Wrote: I've also moved the post number to the bottom left of each post, alongside the time and date it was posted.

This might have worked if it weren't for situations like this, where the date is anything but "Today 00:00 AM/PM" or such, and thus causes the date to start running into the forum buttons.

Just thought I should point that out, IDK if anything can be done to fix that specifically, though.
Fixed
We could run away
When there's no Mondays

Thanked by: Garamonde
Also you haven't said anything about it (lol) but I noticed the signature separators are using the code I posted in the topic. Thank you, staff for quietly acknowledging my posts!

For some odd reason, the code I sandbox never quite shows up right for VGR, though (as there was a white bottom border) :/
After doing more tinkering though -- last time, I promise -- you kinda have to hack it together, making a 2px line while making a 1px solid bottom border, which then you'll get the desired effect.

Code:
<hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px; text-align: center; background-color: #DDD; border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;">

The SOLID is what makes the line actually appear. Give it a shot if you want - if it doesn't work, then it's fine.
I tested it out, and it looks pretty nice - even with 80% width.

For a mockup (kinda - used Firebug to debug) my sig has the 100% hr width and yours has 80% (the original size you set).
Both have the 2px line and 1px solid bottom-border.

[Image: a4cpYqa.png]
Thanked by:
Ahh, you're right. I was wondering why it was being so weird, I can't lie.

That should be sorted now - looks much better.
We could run away
When there's no Mondays

I am alright with this. It gave me a funny excuse to get rid of that elmo gif.
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Thanked by: