Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Meditated Spriting Boredom
When you get bored, and have to sprite something... Well yeah here it is.

[Image: 50-Picture-Fairy-Stelles_zps44e902e5.png]

Btw, how's it going TSR, I mean errr. VG-R?
[Image: Intro_Project2_zpsa3f9d668.gif]
Your Photobucket just blew my mind. Well done.
Thanked by: Ran Master 27
Another night of boredom.
So bored, you decide to give sprites Dance Routines. =)

Lilith Jamming to "Mission Street"
[Image: bunny_lilith_Dance_zps21ad5f23.gif]
Thanked by: Koh, SchAlternate
The ears seem to have a bit too much AA, which makes it a bit choppy to see in a white background, other than that, it looks nice.
Thanked by:
Oh the Lilith sprites aren't mine. I just put together a dance animation using her sprites.
It was bugging me too, but what can ya say, she's have a good time!

Probably will fix it when I get bored enough.
Thanked by:
[Image: Ran_Divider_Master_zps3b9bc2eb.gif]

"D - vider"
its not an edit/you looked at a particular style while making it? looks very breath of fire 4 to me.
[Image: IiIQzhm.gif]
Thanked by:
(04-17-2014, 03:59 AM)des Wrote: its not an edit/you looked at a particular style while making it? looks very breath of fire 4 to me.

Not really BoF 4, in fact I was never fond of BoF4's Style.
If anycase, I'm trying to replicate the good old Classic JRPGs.

Kind of like this.

[Image: 01_PL_Ani_03_zps6c23ec89.gif][Image: 01_PL_Ani_04_zpsca5b1e00.gif]
I've seen some very good animated GIFs in my time, but your GIFs just blows all of them out of the water! How did you manage to make them animate so well?
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by: Ran Master 27
Actually, there's a built in "Skills/Attacks" Animator in RPG Maker I use in the program, and this is just a ripped strip of screen shots put together show what the battle animation looks like in game.

Here's a full example:
[Image: 02_PL_Ani_01_zps41edf237.gif]
Thanked by:
[Image: 5T8j7dk.png]
I think your main character sprites could use a little more contrast and saturation, and you could also cut a few surplus colors for cleaner images and easier animating.
with the new colors he pops out a little more, and looks more 3d.
as for the flan, it's probably supposed to be disgusting looking and slimy so I didn't do much to make the colors look pleasing to the eye, but I did cut it down to four body colors, as it had waaaaaay too many hues, most of which weren't even distinguishable from one another to the naked eye.
[Image: Little_lamp_in_dark_room.jpg]

Thanked by:
Thanks, but there's no reason to change all this in game. lol
It'll be a hassle, and really it's all preference from here on. Your colors look nice, but ee, a little to saturated, and does not differ much from skin tone. I made that brown for a reason. Hair Color.

As for the flan, FF6 hues are crazy like that.
Thanked by:
Even in FF6, they use colors slightly more saturated than those that you currently have
and you ignored my other changes entirely
I didnt just change colors, I got rid of a bunch of extra ones to make the image more clear, with the extra colors that you had, he looked a little blurry
[Image: ACI789q.png]
here is your character next to several official FF6 characters, and my edit as well, look and see which one fits in more naturally.

Neither is a perfect match, but mine is closer to them because of the darker outlines, increased contrast, greater saturation, and reduced color count.
[Image: Little_lamp_in_dark_room.jpg]

Thanked by:
Heart 
(04-18-2014, 05:58 PM)Zadaben Wrote: Even in FF6, they use colors slightly more saturated than those that you currently have
and you ignored my other changes entirely
I didnt just change colors, I got rid of a bunch of extra ones to make the image more clear, with the extra colors that you had, he looked a little blurry
[Image: ACI789q.png]
here is your character next to several official FF6 characters, and my edit as well, look and see which one fits in more naturally.

Neither is a perfect match, but mine is closer to them because of the darker outlines, increased contrast, greater saturation, and reduced color count.

Simplicity, and reduced quality for something already done is kind of out the question.
You replaced colors, and reduced its quality for "style" matching something that I'm not even using. It's pretty useless.

FF6's sprites are limited to a 16 color base palette, and I'm not.
My limit is 256, but I chose at least 24 colors for my sprites.

I understand your reasoning behind your point, but it doesn't drive any progressing motion for any projects. LOL

If back tracking on quality sprites is something you would do, you can do it. But I'm just letting you know, what your trying to prove is quantity over quality.

The ONLY reason I could see myself going back to redo a whole sprite sheet like this is IF:

1. I'm limited to 16 colors.
  2. I'm trying to go for a NES look.
  3. Or, I'm willing to sacrifice the quality of my sprites, to style match another game.

All of these, in which, I am not. =(
Thanked by:
I don't quite think you're quite understanding what he is saying.

it's not backtracking on quality.
It's an attempt to increase the clarity and thus increase the quality of the sprite.

Now, if you don't want to restrain yourself to "Fewest colors possible" that's okay.

But more colors doesn't mean higher quality.
It's how you use them.

Using too many of similar shades tends to blur the sprite reducing readability... and contrast tends to help it.

If you happen to like the softer pallet however, I'd still recommend at least removing the redundant colors. And I don't mean suddenly turn the yellow to brown, just use a few browns, and maybe work on the blues. I can barely tell there is darker blue.
Christianity is my faith not my religion. And neither should be pushed upon people.
HELP-Need as much C+C and playtesting as I can get on my SHMUP Megaman reimagining!
[Image: mx9RKdo.png]
Thanked by: Zadaben, Garamonde