Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Some Critique, Please.
A while back, I posted a topic here to show off some 'good' sprites. They're pretty bad now, IMO, so I'm looking for some critique on my new sprites for a project I'm making. As of now, this base is what I need judgement on;

[Image: nbsRWHQ.png]

it's on a 'sprite timeline' for comparing purposes.

Also, if you know C++ or Dark GDK pm me, if you have time to teach the language.
Thanked by:
Well, you weren't lying about how you're much better since the last time you posted sprites.

Anyway, you got some really great improvements here, but for the two bears on the left, try giving the shades more contrast and hue shifting. Also, the circular highlight on the big bear's face looks a hair bit odd. Perhaps it could be improved?

Also, for some reason the legs of those bears look rather stiff. Maybe you could do something to make them less ridged?
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by: ClubbyBear
(03-29-2014, 10:44 PM)E-Man Wrote: Well, you weren't lying about how you're much better since the last time you posted sprites.

Anyway, you got some really great improvements here, but for the two bears on the left, try giving the shades more contrast and hue shifting. Also, the circular highlight on the big bear's face looks a hair bit odd. Perhaps it could be improved?

Also, for some reason the legs of those bears look rather stiff. Maybe you could do something to make them less ridged?

I'm not looking for critique on the right, I meant the large one on the right.
Also, the style of this is similar to a bit of pillow shading due to being 'stuffed animals', while it uses a dark palette. I'm not sure how the legs could be stiff, so if you have any examples it'd help.
Thanked by:
Well, you should look for critique on all of these as you need to fix shapes, anatomy, shading, colours, contrast and outlines.

Pillowshading shouldn't be used whatever the excuse.
[Image: sig.gif]
(03-30-2014, 07:27 AM)Paladin Wrote: Well, you should look for critique on all of these as you need to fix shapes, anatomy, shading, colours, contrast and outlines.

Pillowshading shouldn't be used whatever the excuse.

> 'sprite timeline'
> 'timeline'
> timeline

It is a timeline.
The ones on the left are all outdated. This is why I don't need critique for them.

Also, I'll start change the shading up.
Thanked by:
Oh, by timeline I thought you meant to compare these to your other topic
[Image: sig.gif]
(03-30-2014, 07:43 AM)Paladin Wrote: Oh, by timeline I thought you meant to compare these to your other topic

Oh, that makes more sense. The timeline is to show the evolution and character design in case someone liked an old palette.
Thanked by:
the new sprite which i assume it's the biggest one, is too darkk ans contrast-less. If you see it without any zoom, it's hard to see where the facial features are, or even how the clothes are supporsed to look like. Literally, it looks like a dark silhouette of a bear here

liven up the colors a little and increase contrast to make it more readable.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Perhaps you should've put the old sprites on a separate picture to emphasize which sprite you want critique on. (I figured it was the rightmost sprite only, but clearly it wasn't all that evident.)

Paladin is right about pillow shading; it should be avoided at all costs. http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/83718.htm
This is the only good example I could find, but generally, the thing that you should aim for to make it 'teddy-like' is to make the stitch lines noticeable, give it a round, soft outline all around (limbs, ears, torso) and cute, toy-like eyes. Your shading, especially on the ears, does not properly reflect the light source. Your colors are too desaturated, IMO, and you could probably drop a shade or two.

EDIT: What Gors said
(03-30-2014, 07:54 AM)Gors Wrote: the new sprite which i assume it's the biggest one, is too darkk ans contrast-less. If you see it without any zoom, it's hard to see where the facial features are, or even how the clothes are supporsed to look like. Literally, it looks like a dark silhouette of a bear here

liven up the colors a little and increase contrast to make it more readable.

The reason for this is because the sprite is going to be scaled up ingame; I'll add more contrast if you think it'd still need it, though.

(03-30-2014, 07:58 AM)Iocus Wrote: Perhaps you should've put the old sprites on a separate picture to emphasize which sprite you want critique on. (I figured it was the rightmost sprite only, but clearly it wasn't all that evident.)

Paladin is right about pillow shading; it should be avoided at all costs. http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/83718.htm
This is the only good example I could find, but generally, the thing that you should aim for to make it 'teddy-like' is to make the stitch lines noticeable, give it a round, soft outline all around (limbs, ears, torso) and cute, doll-like eyes. Your shading, especially on the ears, does not properly reflect the light source. Your colors are too desaturated, IMO, and you could probably drop a shade or two.

EDIT: What Gors said
I'm working on de-pillowing it atm, and for now the light source will be directly infront or in the upper-right. I'll attempt to make the design more accurate, though.

EDIT: Update on shading.

[Image: Dca4ROM.png]
Thanked by:
having scaled up graphics is kinda okay, but it still doesn't diminish the fact that it's hard to see. Now, I can see the bear's face a little better, but I can't see his shirt. What's it supposed to be? I simply can't infer it in any zoom size due to being absurdly dark.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
(03-30-2014, 09:19 AM)Gors Wrote: having scaled up graphics is kinda okay, but it still doesn't diminish the fact that it's hard to see. Now, I can see the bear's face a little better, but I can't see his shirt. What's it supposed to be? I simply can't infer it in any zoom size due to being absurdly dark.
It's a black hoodie; also, I need some help on creating a new palette, because of a lack of experience in remaking palettes; the ones I've tried seem to lack contrast.
Thanked by:
You've fixed some of the shading but there's still pillow shading all over, particularly in the paws and pants.
You also need a huuuuuge amount of contrast since I can't really actually see what's what because all the colors are so dark.

I'll try to make a helpful edit later.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
When will it be up?
Thanked by:
I'm at work right now and I don't get off for a few hours, so late tonight
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]