Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Poll: What power up do you want?!
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Comet Mario
0%
0 0%
Lightning Mario
0%
0 0%
Rocket Mario
0%
0 0%
Speed Mario
11.11%
1 11.11%
Bubble Mario
0%
0 0%
Bomb Mario
33.33%
3 33.33%
Bullet Mario
11.11%
1 11.11%
Thwomp Mario
44.44%
4 44.44%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Mario Sprites are BACK!
I'm bayyack!!! And I brought some old sprites with moi!

[Image: isCtuBo.png]

Remember these? I tried to take the past advice given to me on these sprites.
Well? Well? WELL?????????!!!!

Can I get some C+C?
[Image: rHiHaRN.jpg]
Thanked by:
Hello~
These definitely need more contrast. The face especially looks really blended in and unreadable. I think the nose should pop out of his face more. If you didn't know what Mario already looks like, you wouldn't know there was even a nose there. I think his ear's too big, too!
[Image: sxv5uJR.gif]
Thanked by: Zadaben
[Image: EYeudhS.png]

I did a quick edit to point out some of the things you ought to look into, but it's basically what Starsock said. Aside from what she said, his face is a little scrunched up and I think you could use a little bit of hue shifting...err, is that too advanced? Basically, hue shifting is when you have a color, like yellow, the darker shades transition into other colors, like, say, red. The spriting dictionary mentions the term as well, if you're interested.

As for the walking animation, are you sure that runs correctly? Usually, people swing their arms when they walk and run. Try looking at some other sprites (Mario or otherwise) for reference.
For animation, look at SMW mario. No arm swing there! Plus, he'll be moving at a "race walk" speed.
Thanked by:
old sprites are never the best to take notes from. its a good idea to check on the newer mario/references sprites for a more realistic walking animation.
[Image: XeE6VeC.gif]
Thanked by: E-Man, Zadaben
Well look at Paper Mario sprites! Those are what the sprites are based off of.
Thanked by:
That may be so, but it would be nice to push yourself beyond that. Even if a newer system shows sprites with not all that great animation, it is not a very good excuse as to why anyone would slack on the job.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by: recme
Well, I'll give it a shot. How do you think they should look? (Straight down, elbows bent, ect.)
Thanked by:
(03-20-2014, 09:49 AM)Joxon Wrote: Well look at Paper Mario sprites!

no, lets not.

lets look at YOUR sprite.

stop trying to find excuses to not change your sprites. it just makes you lazy. the walking animation is as stiff as hell. im sure when you run, you dont keep your arms down. when making these animations, look up some references. hell, ill even give you one.

[Image: 5ck67nq.gif]

i also recommend taking a good look on iocus's edit. it contains a lot of good aspects of a good sprite, like contrast and lightsource
Which Mario you use (paper or normal) depends on your intention, I guess, but I assume the intention here is practice. In that case, I think you would learn the most from normal Mario. Paper Mario has some stylization that might just teach you bad habits.

Paper Mario's running animation is certainly simple, and it's that way on purpose. That's all well and fine for the game, but for the sake of your practice, you should try to challenge yourself a little.

^Just to reinforce the reason people are telling you to try a normal mario instead of paper mario
Thanked by: recme, E-Man, Iocus, Vipershark
[Image: m5A05bs.png]
How's the pallet now? Better?

And NO it`s not just a replica of the edit. Be sure to look closely and compare the two.

HEY! I got arms!
[Image: lD5Uidc.png]
Animate it to see how good it looks.

Oh, and here are some items:
[Image: puz5N2p.png]
Just more practice! Smile
Thanked by:
(03-20-2014, 05:54 PM)Joxon Wrote: How's the pallet now? Better?

And NO it`s not just a replica of the edit. Be sure to look closely and compare the two.

HEY! I got arms!
Animate it to see how good it looks.

Oh, and here are some items:
Just more practice! Smile

saved you the trouble of animating it, it's nice you did an 8 frame run rather than going for something small.
[Image: KbZCdf3.gif?1?9102]
Don't go thinking it's good and finished though, I have a headache at the moment, but i will certainly be back to critique your work friend, you have some things that need improvement.

A great artist always strives to be better, you have the potential to be better because you show the want to, we will do what we can to help so long as you're willing to listen, keep going, Joxon.
Thanked by: Vipershark, LunchPolice
Well, I never thought I was done. I know there is something about the crouch sprite. Then I still need to create the enemies. Because I'm giving it a shot at a game again. And just so you know, I will always be willing to listen. After all, you guys are pretty much the best spriters I've seen next to actual video game companies. Best to listen to you guys rather than do it all without advice.

PS: You are inspiring.
Thanked by:
I'm glad you feel like you're getting something out of the experience!

Iocus's edit wasn't a bad start, but you could totally add even more contrast. I would suggest either removing the second darkest red shade or increasing the contrast on it -a lot-, because you seriously can't even see it! That will probably mean that you'll have to make the darkest red shade even darker, but that would do you some good. Don't be afraid to get dark! It'll make your lighter, brighter colors pop out more anyway, so don't feel like "Mario is a bright character, so I can only use bright colors."
Thanked by: Vipershark, LunchPolice
it would be nice for mario to have some legs. right now, hes sorta flailing his arms and feet around as if hes showing off
Thanked by: