Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Need sounds from Paper Mario 2!
... Yeah.

Y'see I need sounds from that game for one of my projects. (Specifically, the Action Command sounds. Y'know, the ones that play when you see "Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing!" on the screen. I'd rather have Sticker Star ones, but chances are ripping from that game will be more than a little impossible right now.) Thing is, they aren't on the site. I've searched the sound ripping boards and this help board for that sorta thing and MFGG ain't got none neither. So I've come to the conclusion that I should either ask someone to do it for me, or get off my lazy ass and do it myself (... which I don't know how to do).

So I'd like one of two things...

1) Please post a quick little guide to get me on my way ripping sound effects from Paper Mario 2. Remember, I am dumb, so detailed explanations will help!

Or!

2) Do it for me because I am little baby. You don't even have to label the sounds, I won't submit them behind your back or anything, I just want the sound effects.

Many thanks to ye who aid me in my time of want.
[Image: StickerStageItems.png]
Check out this review blog thing I do! Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch was the latest review!
Thanked by:
Moving to the Requests board.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
Retriever II has done extensive hacking regarding the game. You might be able to find something here, under a label 'pm2' anything. There's also Paper Mario 1 and 3 stuff there so don't get those mixed.
Now, that's just a suggestion. I don't know if RII ever messed with the sounds.

OR If you'd like to dig into it yourself:
1. get the ISO of the game and extract its contents.
2. Right on the root folder you'll find a folder called SOUND, which contains two subfolders, 'proj' and 'stream'. Proj's got nothing interesting in it, but the Stream folder has loads of STM files.
3. STM is a Known file format so you can just open and extract them all in VGSC. I can't, 'cause I'm a macfag HAHHHAHHAA good luck
Once there was a way to get back homeward
Thanked by:
(01-21-2014, 01:41 AM)Raccoon Sam Wrote: Retriever II has done extensive hacking regarding the game. You might be able to find something here, under a label 'pm2' anything. There's also Paper Mario 1 and 3 stuff there so don't get those mixed.
Now, that's just a suggestion. I don't know if RII ever messed with the sounds.

OR If you'd like to dig into it yourself:
1. get the ISO of the game and extract its contents.
2. Right on the root folder you'll find a folder called SOUND, which contains two subfolders, 'proj' and 'stream'. Proj's got nothing interesting in it, but the Stream folder has loads of STM files.
3. STM is a Known file format so you can just open and extract them all in VGSC. I can't, 'cause I'm a macfag HAHHHAHHAA good luck

That's handy, but the Stream folder just has all the music.
Check out this review blog thing I do! Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch was the latest review!
Thanked by:
goddamn

well, there's the REL folder containing REL files, which have strings like "FX_VOICE_MARIO_FIND1_2" "BGM_FF_MAIL_RECEPTION3" "SFX_MAIL_RECEPTION1 "SFX_MARIO_LANDING3"
maybe they're the REL files

Actually, hold that thought.
on sound/proj, you find "pmario.samp". A quick analysis proves that all of the sample data is in this file, just as one giant bunch of data.
on sound/proj, you also find "pmario_sound_sfx_txt.db". LOOKS FISHY

the file contains long plaintext definitions like this:
Code:
{
SFX_CURSOR_MOVE1
PSND_ID_SFX|SFXSE5_SYS_CURSOR_MOVE1

}

maybe those define where to load the sample, at what sample rate and how many bytes? or something?
Once there was a way to get back homeward
Thanked by:
(01-21-2014, 05:27 AM)Raccoon Sam Wrote: goddamn

well, there's the REL folder containing REL files, which have strings like "FX_VOICE_MARIO_FIND1_2" "BGM_FF_MAIL_RECEPTION3" "SFX_MAIL_RECEPTION1 "SFX_MARIO_LANDING3"
maybe they're the REL files

Actually, hold that thought.
on sound/proj, you find "pmario.samp". A quick analysis proves that all of the sample data is in this file, just as one giant bunch of data.
on sound/proj, you also find "pmario_sound_sfx_txt.db". LOOKS FISHY

the file contains long plaintext definitions like this:
Code:
{
SFX_CURSOR_MOVE1
PSND_ID_SFX|SFXSE5_SYS_CURSOR_MOVE1

}

maybe those define where to load the sample, at what sample rate and how many bytes? or something?

... Makes sense I suppose...?

I mean I figured the sounds were in pmario.samp after seeing how HUEG it was. I just can't find anything on gettin' in dat thing. Google searches ain't exactly helping me, either, all discussions I've come across either ignore the .samp file after discovering the music elsewhere, are so old that there just HASN'T been progress, or just confusion at what .samp is.

Again, though, most of those discussions are really old - maybe some progress has been made in some dark corner of the Internet I can't find, buuuuuuuut that's starting to look unlikely.
Thanked by: