Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Poll: What foreign languages are you studying or interested in studying?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Spanish
10.26%
4 10.26%
French
5.13%
2 5.13%
German
7.69%
3 7.69%
Japanese
43.59%
17 43.59%
Chinese (any variety)
7.69%
3 7.69%
English (for non-native speakers)
7.69%
3 7.69%
Other
17.95%
7 17.95%
Total 39 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What foreign languages are you studying or interested in studying?
I recall there was a thread similar to this in the past, but it revolved around whether or not you were interested in learning a second language moreso than it did which languages you are learning, and hasn't been posted in in a while.

In this topic, let's discuss the languages we're interested in, or already know! Posting resources on learning specific languages such as websites, useful books, and other general knowledge, is highly encouraged if you have them available!

To start, I'm interested in Japanese and have been self-studying it for close to two years now. For the most part I've been going by the things that are tested in the JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) and by this point I should easily be able to pass the N5. With a bit more practice I could probably take on the N4. (As a note, the test goes from N5 to N1, with N5 being the easiest and N1 being the most difficult.) Overall it's certainly a difficult language, but I've been having a lot of fun with it and keep striving to learn more.

On top of that, I've had some interest in both Korean and Chinese... probably Mandarin as if I recall correctly it has more speakers. I'm considering going back over the Japanese that I've learned and trying to learn the words in the other two languages I've just mentioned, to see if I start becoming familiar enough with them to really boost myself into learning them properly.
Thanked by: MaxiGamer™
I'm trying to learn German personally. Its good for name referencing, has great game conventions, a good economy, and if all else fails and time traveling super nazis take over I am slightly more likely to die quickly.
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Thanked by:
I friggin' love English! I'm from Quebec, Canada, so I speak French most of the time. But I love learning English, it's such a beautiful language.
In school, my notes are way higher in English than French. Funny, right?
English is kind of required if you travel worldwide, if you do politics or if you are in economy. It's a worldwide-known language.

Vive l'anglais. Smile (french irony)
[Image: ErtTUaIarb.png]
Thanked by: puggsoy
I want to learn Japanese, mostly for game related purposes, so I can play Japanese-only games, and it might help with hacking/modding/ripping as well. It would also let me read mangas or watch anime in their "original" form, without any possible Engrish or translation errors. I have no idea when I'll ever get round to learning it though.

I also want to learn Arabic sometime. Well, I don't really want to as such, but I'm half Egyptian so I feel like I should, if only to make conversations with extended family less awkward.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
Been studying Japanese for quite a few years and I love it `u`
[Image: OH4K4jX.gif] [Image: R7WBBzo.gif] [Image: TsJpssj.gif]
-----------------------[Love]-----------------------
Thanked by:
(01-18-2014, 10:45 AM)Devicho Wrote: On top of that, I've had some interest in both Korean and Chinese... probably Mandarin as if I recall correctly it has more speakers.

Mandarin has way more, the only reason I'd learn Cantonese if for Hong Kong and they have a decent English speaking population iirc... so I'd reccomend Mandarin yeah

I'm learning Japanese myself but I'm so lazy

I must commit sudoku
Thanked by:
I could brush up on Spanish and Korean a little more, I know Portuguese, Japanese and English atm
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by:
I've been wanting to learn Japanese so I can find out what it's like to understand what they're saying in the Japanese animes, games, and websites I've been coming across, and possibly travel to Japan sometime.

But I bet PSY's music would suck if I understood what he was saying without subtitles.
Respect and Care
Love for People
Faith in Christ
Thanked by:
(01-19-2014, 05:19 PM)Neweegee Wrote: I've been wanting to learn Japanese so I can find out what it's like to understand what they're saying in the Japanese animes, games, and websites I've been coming across, and possibly travel to Japan sometime.

But I bet PSY's music would suck if I understood what he was saying without subtitles.

You know Psy is Korean, right?
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Thanked by:
(01-19-2014, 05:43 PM)psychospacecow Wrote:
(01-19-2014, 05:19 PM)Neweegee Wrote: I've been wanting to learn Japanese so I can find out what it's like to understand what they're saying in the Japanese animes, games, and websites I've been coming across, and possibly travel to Japan sometime.

You know Psy is Korean, right?

o_____________O

I think I'm going to need a moment in Wikipedia.
Respect and Care
Love for People
Faith in Christ
Thanked by:
Gangnam is a district in Seoul
Thanked by: Neweegee
I had an interest in learning Japanese, for anime/manga/video games.
But in the past year and a half or so, I've taken a mild interest in Chinese. It's the language of my ancestors. Well, Cantonese is the Chinese variety spoken by my relatives, but I don't know how many good resources exist for it and it may not be all that useful besides talking to said relatives or in Hong Kong.
Thanked by:
I'm trying to learn the utter basics from Rosetta Stone for Japanese, my roommate is gonna help me out with actual conjugation, lol numbers, and alphabets.

Also wanna learn Russian and German.
M A C H I N E G U N
         ⌒°。>◡<)⌒°
             /_▄︻し┻┳═一(いち)(いち)  ┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨
[Image: tumblr_mr2bjoHi1v1qh8espo1_400.gif][Image: NfIxSTK.gif]
Thanked by:
I'm hoping to learn japanese at some time in the future (since I'm nazrin a weeb)

but generally if I had the time, I'd learn all the languages. Being able to talk to people with differing backgrounds and languages sounds like it'd be a pretty fun thing to do.
Thanked by:
I've always wanted to learn a bit of Spanish.
I learnt French and Latin in school. Both of which have been immensely helpful and interesting. I love looking into the origins of the words we use today.
And history books forgot about us and the bible didn't mention us
The bible didn't mention us, not even once

You are my sweetest downfall
I loved you first , I loved you first
Thanked by: