Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
I'm rusty
[Image: UP3BUzs.png][Image: WVkpM1C.png]

So I sprited a rusty robot.

It ended up looking like someone had taken a crap on it.
[Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: E-Man
To me, those look more like dirt stains than… Well.. Yeah…

Anyway, nice work, but how about getting a little more contrast into your sprites?
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by: Paladin
(01-15-2014, 02:01 PM)E-Man Wrote: To me, those look more like dirt stains than… Well.. Yeah…

Anyway, nice work, but how about getting a little more contrast into your sprites?

I'll try that. As I said, I'm rusty, so thank you for giving advice when I really need it.
I'm bad with colours.
Thanked by:
I'd definitely bump up the contrast and the saturation of the colors. also, Rust isn't a dull brown, it's typically a more red/orange color. Though many rusty objects also wind up encrusted with dirt, too.

I quickly tweaked the palette of the sprite a bit for ya (though I'm sure that it could use a bit more tweaks here and there):
[Image: f90g.png]
Salvador Dali Wrote: Begin by learning to draw and paint like the old masters. After that, you can do as you like; everyone will respect you.
[Image: shrine.gif]
Thanked by: LunchPolice, Paladin
Ok. I did this.

[Image: qYxg0Vy.png]

Also this.

[Image: nv90EcZ.png]
Thanked by: LunchPolice, Lexou Duck
2 looks much better, the purple hue works wonders
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: Paladin, E-Man
I like the new palette, so I made the evil professor who makes the robots.

[Image: Tp9ynZY.png]
Thanked by: Virt
the eye visor being completely horizontal conflicts with the 3/4 ish view of the robot

man's face should be more defined, you laid out the highlights/shadows in a non-logical manner
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by:
(01-16-2014, 01:39 PM)Paladin Wrote: I like the new palette, so I made the evil professor who makes the robots.

Good idea, Paladin, but I don't know if the professor should be evil. Unless it's part of a storyline where a robot has to save the world from its malicious creator, I don't think the robot design matches an evil professor. If it was an evil robot, it would look more dangerous and pointy instead of looking like its made of circles and spheres.

That's just my reasoning, but what about you?
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

That's completely subjective reasoning E-man, and it's up to him what kind of designs an "evil" professor would think of. Not all minds think alike, and that especially goes for "evil" professors Wink
[Image: b6Bqjzn.gif]
(01-16-2014, 03:42 PM)E-Man Wrote:
(01-16-2014, 01:39 PM)Paladin Wrote: I like the new palette, so I made the evil professor who makes the robots.

If it was an evil robot, it would look more dangerous and pointy instead of looking like its made of circles and spheres.

Well, I think Thomas Bangalter is a pretty evil robot.
Thanked by:
*Shrugs* Hey, it's just a thought, Gwen. Even though rounded robots are usually good robots, it's not exactly a rule anyone has to follow.

If you want to make a man-eating unicorn or something, Paladin, I don't see what's stopping you. Tongue

Thanked by:
The design of the "professor" is very plain and doesn't feel like it would exist in the same universe as the robot. I'd definitely come up with a stronger design that communicates that the prof. is infact evil. part of effective design is showing the audience what a character's role is, this is where visual shorthand and archetypes come into play.

In addition, I'd probably make the prof. an older man since the robots are all rusted. either that, or he's a deranged hobo who builds robots out of rusted old scrap metal. anything goes, really.
Salvador Dali Wrote: Begin by learning to draw and paint like the old masters. After that, you can do as you like; everyone will respect you.
[Image: shrine.gif]
You should make him a deranged hobo, with a glorious beard and rat tail hairdo.
[Image: b6Bqjzn.gif]
Thanked by: E-Man, LunchPolice
[Image: txXrVFK.png]

I no longer know if he's good or bad, maybe he's just stupid.
Thanked by: psychospacecow