Users browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)
I sprited a thing.
So I decided to sprite the mascot of Codestar games, Starla, to kind of get back into doing pixel art.

**edit**
[Image: acdgly.png]
Thanked by:
That's a nice sprite; however, is it just me, or is the shading a little too hard to see in some areas?
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:
[Image: acdgly.png]
better?
Thanked by:
lacks contrast in some areas, which makes the sprite hard to see

blue and green are close in hue so you need to differentiate them more, not to say that the style /may/ be kinda limiting for this kind of character design.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: E-Man
Well, you're actually getting somewhere, Codestar, but I was actually referring to the colors you used for shading.

When I was trying to create a base palette for the sprites I created, two of the biggest critiques I got were to use more hue shifting and make the colors used in the shading have less saturation. Your adjustments to the overall shading were great, but how about giving those two bits of advice a try?
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

Thanked by:
made some adjustments
[Image: acdgly.png][Image: 345it5g.png]
You're getting there! Just focus on pushing the values for the already existing colors used in the shading instead of just adding new ones.

Thanked by:
ONCE MORE FOR VICTORY!
[Image: j60n7m.png]
Thanked by: psychospacecow
You're getting closer. Just make the shading colors darker, while leaving the base colors of the sprite alone (the colors that are not part of the shading or highlights).

The same goes for the highlights, but make them brighter instead. Also, don't forget about desaturating the shading and highlight colors and get in there with your hue shifting.

Thanked by:
Hope you don't mind, i made a slight edit

[Image: codestar%20edit.png]

Lightest and darkest areas are more defined, and I removed some banding areas, although there are a few more small instances of it

My edit is by no means an ends all be all, in fact it could be taken farther I think
the gold portions are really similar in hue and luminosity to the skin, so they kind of bleed together
[Image: 22610_s.gif]

Think I might've been having some monitor calibration issues. I'm on a different computer now and the color look a lot more saturated than they did on the PC I was on.
Thanked by: