Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Yukimazan's Sprite Topic
Wink 
( I don't usually come here most of the time but I sometimes feel like dropping by. Wink )

Heyo and welcome~ I'm in a need of knowledge for spriting. (Yeah, need some advice or tips like a tutor for teaching me spriting). So far, I've been doing sprite edits of Pokemon Trainer poses with different and unique characters with unique stances than just recolours and such. Every little detail. So the bottom you see, from top left till bottom right is a bit like an order timeline of when I did the sprites. Any advices or tips would be appreciated, because I wanna learn more and do custom sprites too. Smile (Although the red snake with the yellow hair is the only custom sprite I did. I'm bound to post more sprite edits soon. ^^ )

[Image: trainers_oc_by_yukimazan-d6yw539.png]

Still learning. As I said, any tips or advices to tutor me a bit that motivates me to do custom sprites. Still trying. Rawr~
Thanked by:
Well slapping sprites together isn't what I would call pixel art. You aren't learning anything that way. Try doing more things from scratch. Most of these look very bad.

I always say quality over quantity.
[Image: mugen.gif][Image: 41583772.gif]

Love Gotta Have it:
Thanked by: Yukimazan
(12-22-2013, 11:21 AM)Virtuaboy123 Wrote: Well slapping sprites together isn't what I would call pixel art. You aren't learning anything that way. Try doing more things from scratch. Most of these look very bad.

I always say quality over quantity.

Gotta agree because they're just sprite edits. Some I seem to slack off while others I try to give more focus on. Regardless, an edit is still an edit. The only custom one I did was the red snake which I start from scratch (because there aren't any good sprites of snakes which convinced me to do my own one myself ). Thanks for the criticism. ^^
Thanked by:
I can't overstate the importance of developing solid drawing skills:
Instead of limiting yourself to a single style, try drawing from life and plenty of references. An understanding of how objects and living creatures function in life will only further help you artistically.

I also noticed that a lot of the colors are the highly saturated primary colour defaults and the shades are simply darker tones of the same colour: my advice is to avoid these things. A rule of thumb that I like to follow while shading is: the more shadow there is, the cooler the colour. by "cooler" I mean as it pertains to colour temperature (Warm/cool colours) This kind of thing is also referred to as Hue shifting here.

I'd definitely suggest having a look at the Spriting Dictionary Topic in this forum.
Salvador Dali Wrote: Begin by learning to draw and paint like the old masters. After that, you can do as you like; everyone will respect you.
[Image: shrine.gif]
Thanked by:
(12-22-2013, 09:03 PM)Sketchasaurus Wrote: I can't overstate the importance of developing solid drawing skills:
Instead of limiting yourself to a single style, try drawing from life and plenty of references. An understanding of how objects and living creatures function in life will only further help you artistically.

I also noticed that a lot of the colors are the highly saturated primary colour defaults and the shades are simply darker tones of the same colour: my advice is to avoid these things. A rule of thumb that I like to follow while shading is: the more shadow there is, the cooler the colour. by "cooler" I mean as it pertains to colour temperature (Warm/cool colours) This kind of thing is also referred to as Hue shifting here.

I'd definitely suggest having a look at the Spriting Dictionary Topic in this forum.

Yeah, most of the colours on most sprites were the same colour with different contrasts. I don't usually put the like let's say ocean blue for dark blue for some sprites. But I totally didn't use reference from life or other sources. Not really artistic for me huh? ^^;

Also, thanks for suggesting the spriting dictionary and it kinda helped me a lot. I could try to start small though I'm more worried how I should start it with. Also, if that's ok, I kinda need someone to critic me on the red snake because that's the only custom one I did.
Thanked by:
For the red snake, I think there's a bit of pillow shading going on in there. How about fixing it?
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:
(12-22-2013, 11:09 PM)E-Man Wrote: For the red snake, I think there's a bit of pillow shading going on in there. How about fixing it?

Gonna make a few examples or concepts on the shading. (Like putting #1, #2, #3) There are shading techniques like from brightness to the contrast a bit close to the center one. What technique would be best for this kind?
Thanked by:
(Sorry for the double post)

Not much but I tried to do a bit of 'concepts' first so that I can get the feeling of being original or custom.

[Image: custom_sprites_workshop_by_yukimazan-d6z6mhj.png]

Left one is the old one with pillow shading, right one is the new one. Tried to fix the pillow shading but I need some advice on the hair and other parts.

And the pig sprites below has one with nose, another with no nose. Also, anyway to make a good tail? Rawr~
Thanked by: