Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Eyes of doom, home project!
Well I'm back again, doing a project with some friends from work and ofc looking for advise (particularly on the animation)
the style is based around the scott pilgrim vs the world game and at the moment I'm only really concerned about the main character so I can mash it together into something alpha worthy.
Here is the character sheet
[Image: GQOOOJ4.png]
and ofc the sprites so far
[Image: njY1T9A.png][Image: FjLSVsQ.gif]
as you can see I've not got much done, I've hit the wall I always hit and thats the wall of run animation, I know how the cycle goes I'm just terrible at having the legs keep their width and length.

Any and all comments and crits are welcome and greatly appreciated,
Thanks for reading,
Bombshell
Thanked by: E-Man
Oh! I was wondering when you would return to this site.

Anyway, what you have here is good so far. I can't really help you on the leg length problem, but if you have a drawing application that isn't MS Paint, I might have an idea.

On a separate layer above the layer featuring your girl, draw out a line that is the length of the legs. Then, you rotate the line and translate it to where you see fit. That way, you could have a better job of keeping the lengths constant. What do you think, Bombshell?
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:
her face isnt all that readable, so i dabbled a bit with it~

[Image: PTvWtBY.png]
[Image: XeE6VeC.gif]
Thanked by: Chris2Balls [:B], Sengir
The best thing to with legs is to use the ones in standing pose as a background and simply draw over them. As in cut them up into 4 (2 top pieces and 2 bottom pieces) and just craply rotate them and place to where you want them to be. It'll look like shit - but then you can draw over them (make them a different layer if you have Photoshop - or just recolour them bleeding eye pink for easy removal in Paint). It's not the BEST way, but it's one of the easiest ways to get the ball rolling and at least have something to work with.

However, and this no criticism to you - but Scoot Pilgrim style? Really? Hasn't this been done to death now? I mean it was cool in that Baby Pirate animation but then it just seemed to spread everywhere (and doesn't even look that good imo).

As for recolorking's edit - even though the face is more readable I think the original fits the style better.
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
Quote:However, and this no criticism to you - but Scoot Pilgrim style? Really? Hasn't this been done to death now? I mean it was cool in that Baby Pirate animation but then it just seemed to spread everywhere (and doesn't even look that good imo).

this. one thousand times this

scott pilgrim style (and by ext. paul robertson) is really shitty bar the animations, because the abuse of black outlines hurt readability, and the colors are often washed and lacks hueshift.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: recme
I'll try and distance myself from the scott pilgrim style then, I did notice a lot of jaggies, banding and horrifying anatomy (such as warped rib cages) in the scott pilgrim sprite work.
Heres a revision (pallet change, altered outlines to improve face readability, torso resized, collar tweaked)
[Image: MAGAffr.gif]
The run animation I've started on I'll update when I have it cycling
Thanked by:
her legs seem to increase randomly. even though this is done to hell on pixel art, its no good. make her legs bend at one point.
[Image: XeE6VeC.gif]
I fiddled with it for a while and it seems bending the knees only made things look more warped, instead I kept the hips still and it became more of a body movement than a leg extension.
[Image: UtMhLIX.gif]
Thanked by:
Looks about right to me. Though still seems like a waste of talent.

(12-16-2013, 05:18 AM)Gors Wrote:
Quote:However, and this no criticism to you - but Scoot Pilgrim style? Really? Hasn't this been done to death now? I mean it was cool in that Baby Pirate animation but then it just seemed to spread everywhere (and doesn't even look that good imo).

this. one thousand times this

scott pilgrim style (and by ext. paul robertson) is really shitty bar the animations, because the abuse of black outlines hurt readability, and the colors are often washed and lacks hueshift.

So Gors post gets thanked for agreeing with my point but not my post making the point? For shame recolorking... for shame.
prolly you're joking but it doesn't matter who gets the thanks. you did a valid point, you know it, and therefore you shouldn't wait for a 'reward' if we can call 'thanking' a reward.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: recme
thanks Goemar, though where I stand on my "talent", it is as I am, always a subject of learning. as always I stand by the idea that knowing objective flaws is the only way to reach something of respectable quality (subjectively or objectively) that said any problems you see in the style I'm pursuing I am very open to hearing, after all there's no point in taking inspiration from a style without applying artistic licence be it a simple change of character or an improvement to style.
if you think something can be improved give it to me blunt and I will try my best Smile

EDIT:
well there is a lot wrong with this animation, but its a starting point. sort of. maybe.
[Image: j4gpkvS.gif][Image: 7ur7Qc3.gif]
Thanked by:
Hey ! I'm new here but if you don't mind I'll give you mho ?

The first thing I noticed is that she jiggles a lot which is funny but in your running animation the body is stiff as the face and hair? prolly cause its a wip but I wanted to point that out.

Also I like the design of the character but, why the blouse? couldn't she wear something less formal ? it kind of gives her a mom kind of style, of course maybe it's on purpouse
(12-16-2013, 12:12 PM)Gors Wrote: prolly you're joking but it doesn't matter who gets the thanks. you did a valid point, you know it, and therefore you shouldn't wait for a 'reward' if we can call 'thanking' a reward.

It was a joke man Wink

First Drauger, why are we against women wearing normal clothes? I don't get it...

Anyway, the main problem for me is it's very hard to tell which leg is front of the other. And maybe it's part of the style put the lack of toes makes it look like she has hooves when running.
Thanked by:
I think he's saying she seems older when wearing a blouse.
But that's not really important.
[Image: mugen.gif][Image: 41583772.gif]

Love Gotta Have it:
ahm... yes something like that sorry if I didn't expressed myself correctly