Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Trying to sprite?
Hey new here, anyway I kind of liked editing and doing some "spriting" for Ragnarok Online, but since the game is kind of death, I'm trying to move into something else, today I tried to make a Sprite from scratch ? Not sure cause it's a generic idea a fighting japanese school girl I now not original but meh :

[Image: school_zps29ed788d.png]

Now I tried not "using?" Ragnarok Online sprite style so this came out, I definitively feel there's something wrong with hair/ face, help ? opinions please? be gentle ?

Also since my previous experience was trying to make my" sprites" as close to RO style as posible I kind of grew accustomed to the style, I want to search for a kind of sprite style, any ideas or suggestions on how to do this? thanks for reading.

P.D. If I screwed up the section sorry but, I didn't found any criticism specific thread, also sorry if there's something wrong with the grammar, english is not my main language.

Edit: Here's a retry for the school girl

[Image: schoolgirl2_zps48b6124e.png]
Thanked by:
Fist off, welcome!
Secondly, here's a thread so you'll know what people are talking about when they give you criticisms: http://www.vg-resource.com/showthread.php?tid=13868

The first thing that I notice when I look at the sprite is how far that she is leaning forward. the second thing that I notice is the eye burning bright pink that you used for a background. I'd suggest picking a toned down, neutral color like some sort of green or blue gray.

There are a lot of things that definitely need work, I'm sure that the others here can give a better crit than I. I'll fiddle around with an edit to show how I would fix it.
Thanked by:
(12-08-2013, 02:56 AM)Sketchasaurus Wrote: Snip!

Thank you for your quick reply, I didn't answer right away because i wanted to rework on my try before posting again, anyway here's something I did today in a little free time I had:
[Image: schoolgirl2_zps48b6124e.png]

I tried taking both advises you gave me, changed the background , don't know if that color is fine?, also i saw the standing pose and yeah I did realized it was leaning to the fron, so I tried to re work it, this came out, it's a little bigger.

I feel I need to rework her face it seems a little weird, and also I'm having issues with the aliasing and prolly a lot of more stuff XD, anyway thanks for the feed back.
Thanked by:
The shading isn't very consistent, and in some places looks flat. The hair and face especially need work. Try drawing a line that follows the contour of the body part, then shade behind that line.
Thanked by:
Thanks for the output Midi, I tried to make something simpler? tried shading as you suggested and in this came better( I think..XD) but, it's also smaller x.X not sure how it looks:

[Image: Celes_zpsebd32469.png]

It's supposed to be a version of Celes Chere From FF VI in FFIV psp style, I feel it's really hard to shade hair, I know i'm not doing it right.
Thanked by:
This sprite is good design wise, the proportions fit the style and all

but you have a ton of pillow shading and banding, causing your sprite to look fuzzy and flat.

You need to shade with a light source in mind, and shade with her form, not along her form.
When you shade as you have (darkest shades leading to lightest shades in a straight ramp towards the center,)
you create a flat image that puffs up in the middles like a pillow.

Put a point on your canvas to represent a light source and try to think of her a 3d object, and shade here the way
light would actually hit her.

Also, the long lines of continuous colors is called "banding" and also tends to make sprites look flat, and contributes
to pillow shading. try staggering or interrupting long lines of shades with other nearby shades when possible to avoid
them.

Scetchasaurus already linked you here, but our Spriting Dictionary explains a lot of the basics of sprite terminology. It isn't an exhaustive list, but should help.

Keep working on it, you aren't half bad; looking forward to seeing more Smile
[Image: 22610_s.gif]

Thanked by: Sketchasaurus
Hey ! thanks for the feedback, I tried working with the pillow and shading :

[Image: Celes2_zps7afcaecb.png]

I have read the definitions but, in practice I'm not sure how to work it out, maybe my pallet choice is to wide? should I use less colors? anyway thanks for the feedback !!.
Thanked by: Sengir, Alexsani
Well, the pillow shading I was referring to was actually the larger sprite of the girl with dark hair.
Thanked by:
You've got way to many colors on that sprite. Some of are barely different from one another. Try getting rid of some unecessary colors and replace them with already existing colors.
(01-24-2014, 07:52 AM)Gors Wrote: those are really fucking classy surnames you've got there

[Image: tumblr_npvw95As6k1tzzv2wo1_540.gif]
Thanked by:
Thanks for the feed back guys, I tried reworking both "sprites" the school girl from scratch and the Celes one just reducing the colors heres what i got

[Image: Celes4_zps5d797cea.png]
the color count is 15

[Image: simpleschoolgirl_zps6762c447.png]

This one I tried making it really simple in size and colors
Thanked by:
i really rushed this edit, but here are some things you should change. Wink

[Image: d7wnl9r.png]
[Image: XeE6VeC.gif]
Thanked by:
I think your biggest problem here is human anatomy. Now obviously cartoons aren't realistic but you have her legs almost coming out from her sides, along with various other problems. Try using a wireframe as base so things don't get too cramped.
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
Thanked by: recme
Thanks for all the feedback, so I tried changing the school girl a bit and:

[Image: simpleschoolgirl2_zpsa881b940.png]

Also did this a little while ago:

[Image: SchoolTeach2_zpsad217abd.png]
Thanked by:
I did this a quickly as possible
I think you just need to refine the edges more on your sprites. More detail/better shading could help too.
[Image: bdePsP6.png]
The strange fold in her shirt I removed it looks bad
[Image: mugen.gif][Image: 41583772.gif]

Love Gotta Have it:
Thanked by: Goemar