Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Holiday TSR Theme?
Hello, TSR, users, moderation team and administrators alike. I'm posting today to inquire about the annual holiday theme, since it's almost so close to the season of happiness, snow and gifting.

In previous years, I would always wake up on Thanksgiving Day, watch the Thanksgiving Day parade and after Santa rode by on his sled near the end, I always knew he'd leave me a surprise on my favorite message board!
I would log onto The Spriter's Resource and to my delight, Old Saint Nick would change the theme to a jovial, holiday-themed skin. Sometimes, the skin would play a chiptune version of "Let It Snow" and one year, everyone's forum avatar wore Holiday Hats!

It was so whimsical and brought joy to a veteran member of the web site, and I feel that the new generation of users should be able to take part in the holiday cheer and activities that made the Spriter's Resource such a great forum to visit in years past. The legacy should be allowed to live on for all members to experience (but of course, stay responsibly within the timespan of the holiday season)

Dearest Petie, newest technical admin and graphic designer to the team, is there any chance of the Video Gamer's Resource being outfitted in a jovial mix of red (pink?) and green for the holiday season? Or perhaps a sterling white to complement the snow (and new sleek holiday electronics? Big Grin) Perhaps a holiday tree, candelabrum or snowman to remind me of the season's jovial jolliiness? I'm sure other posters will agree with me when they too excitedly await the holiday happiness that comes over TSR during the holidays. Please say yes, or I'll have to reconsider my decision of recommending my friends to visit the Video Gamer's Resource during the holidays to see the spirit of happiness and cheer encapsulated within the Internet, and cross the staff members off my list to send holiday cards (typically with monetary gifts provided by smiling elderly folk) this season )':

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, and Gors bless. Genki ^_^
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
I really really like this idea because the only time I ever used the default forum skin was after thanksgiving because I really do love the holiday theme Cute
M A C H I N E G U N
         ⌒°。>◡<)⌒°
             /_▄︻し┻┳═一(いち)(いち)  ┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨
[Image: tumblr_mr2bjoHi1v1qh8espo1_400.gif][Image: NfIxSTK.gif]
Thanked by: Tom Turkey
[Image: flake.gif]Bah Humbug[Image: flake.gif]
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by: Garamonde, Tom Turkey
We need to play Simone's 'Então é Natal' this time
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: Maxpphire, Tom Turkey
(11-26-2013, 06:23 AM)Gors Wrote: We need to play Simone's 'Então é Natal' this time

holy shit its literally jonh lennon's "happy christmas (war is over)" in portugese

i second this notion

no i'm serious what do we as a community have to do to make the holiday skin a reality in two (2) days
Thanked by: Gors, puggsoy, Tom Turkey
i'm already using it

really clean and bright, i like it
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Why not just use the old one?
[Image: 803ce84258.gif]
Because we have since completely redesigned the forum. Last year we were The Spriters Resource Community.
We could run away
When there's no Mondays

(11-26-2013, 11:59 AM)Dazz Wrote: Because we have since completely redesigned the forum. Last year we were The Spriters Resource Community.

Yes. And I'm Kosheh, a poster on the Spriter's Resource posting on November 26th.
"We have since redesigned the forum" is a poor excuse when Afresh Holiday was a remixed theme to begin with whipped up in time for the holidays. You're switching out assets on a forum, not performing angioplasty on a horse.

I'm the one who customized the assets on the Apart themes, after all, and I can tell you from prior experience that it's not particularly difficult. Here's how I'd do it, in a nice, condensed list:
  • Take the Apart Flame theme (coder talk for "Spriter's Resource" variant of the "VG Resource" theme)
  • Make a cute holiday banner (snowman preferred, very secular)
  • Change link classes on URLs to be dark green when active (like sounds resource), hovers dark grey, visited a dark red
  • Replace the index marker icons with ornaments (and desaturate them for the "read" notification)
  • Change the background property of #content to a nice, subtle background (preferably snowflakes)
  • Add an extra few lines of code to insert a snowman underneath the user details in postbit (you can lift this from Afresh Holiday if you still have it) or perhaps Javascript snow

• Ho Ho Ho Look At That Holiday Theme
You can literally do this at night cozied up to the missus drinking a cup of earl grey tea hot cocoa.

i mean, i did.

and who says you personally have to do it, you can have petie or gors do it (judging from the topic, it sounds like gors wouldn't mind if he had a little time to work on it)

Thanked by: puggsoy, Tom Turkey
Hey, Kosheh, can you do me a favour and not tell me how to do my job? Thanks.
We could run away
When there's no Mondays

Thanked by: Gors, Tom Turkey
i'm sorry, dazz, i knew mentioning the mobile theme would be overstepping my boundaries here and came off as passive aggressive, being that i was trying my best to post regarding the holiday theme in a proactive yet optimistic way and it completely deflated my post

once again, i apologize to all as i realize it was not jovial or contributed to the topic at hand ):

Please do, however, consider the holiday theme, based on the feedback voiced (and thanked) by the other users and staff members in this topic Genki ^_^
Thanked by: Gors, Maxpphire, Tom Turkey
Or heck, you could even just use the old one and change the tSR logo into a VG Resource one. (Unless that's incredibly difficult for some reason, I'm not exactly on the up and up with MyBB's layouts)
[Image: 803ce84258.gif]
I like the holiday theme that suddenly appeared on this site, but my only complaint is the snowflakes that keep falling. As much as I like snow as much as the next guy, I'm not a fan of how much it slows down my browser. I'm thinking of changing my forum skin back to the default one if it's all the same to you guys.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:
I tried to keep the snow reasonable - enough that it could be seen but not enough to cause a performance hit. In fairness, I have a very good computer so I don't really notice any issues but I obviously can't speak for everyone. I'll consider simply removing the snow if there are enough reports that it's a massive slowdown (though I really would rather keep it - it took forever to get working correctly).
Thanked by: psychospacecow
Maybe a new theme that's the same as this one w/o the snow? Best of both worlds there eh?
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Thanked by: Garamonde, puggsoy