Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Help with a simple monochromatic sprite
Hey I've been trying to work with a simple sprite
[Image: 2iu6e4n.png]

I am stuck as in not able to animate the walk cycle, I am not able to get it right.
Also I need help to make it look more retro.
Thanked by: Tom Turkey
Ahh no one ? :c
This is not a IM so answers can take longer to appear. Be patient.

A walk cycle has a lot of basics on it; it's not just moving your legs and calling it a day. Here's a basic tutorial:

[Image: walk-cycle-keyframes.gif]

Any animation has a thing called 'KEYFRAMES'. Keyframes, as the name implies, are the frames that are extremely important for the animation to be readable. The image above illustrates all the keypoints in a single step (read it from right-to-left).

It's worthy to note that a full walk cycle is those step times two (for 2-leg movement), so a normal walking animation needs to have an even number of frames: anything different and you'll have a limping character.

Here's an animated example to take note:

[Image: wlk01_thumb%25255B1%25255D.gif?imgmax=800]

[Image: Walking-man2_thumb.gif?imgmax=800]

All of the above applies to humanoid characters with a more 'detailed' art style. Now as for a really flat and rigid character as yours, I don't really know if such animation works. As you can see in your own sheet, the legs don't fit your character at all, with curvy lines constrasting with his blocky shape.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
(11-24-2013, 09:00 AM)Gors Wrote: All of the above applies to humanoid characters with a more 'detailed' art style. Now as for a really flat and rigid character as yours, I don't really know if such animation works. As you can see in your own sheet, the legs don't fit your character at all, with curvy lines constrasting with his blocky shape.

EXACTLY! Those animation technique cannot be explicitly applied in my case. I am no animation/sprite expert so I came here to ask for help.
To make walk cycle for that character you will have to go a little bit out of the box and goddamn I was never in the box so I am completely lost.
Anyone knows of similar forum/community where I could get help over this ? Just link me please.
Sure, it can be applied. If you look around these boards, you'll see people using an animation technique where all the moving parts are a different solid color for motion testing. You can use the same technique, just instead of replacing the solid colors with a fleshed-out sprite, replace it with the solid black legs, and it should look much better.
Can you give an example ? >.> Cause it was kinda confusing..
Since I'm at work, I can't make an example for you, but try tis: draw one leg in positions similar to the walking cycle Gors posted, then duplicate the leg and position the frames so that they alternate. Then attach it to your charater. It may take some tweaking, but it'll be a good starting point.
Aghh Not working out, damn why is it so hard to animate a simple sprite
because animation is complex. Thinking it would be an easy task is really unwise of you

in animation, you must know how frames work, anatomy, fluidity and even characterization of the subject. Animation is a great way to give personality to your character so this is why it's hard. It's not only moving your character: it is studying it and finding the best way to tackle it.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
You are right, I know, I know animation is complex. I have past experience with animation but that was in 3D modeling, the keyframe and position setting were kind of different in that for example in 3DS Max you can use the keyframer at the bottom to animate the model and save different animation.
And I am relatively very new to 2D animation (I have done some work before but not much)

I can understand how this animation work
[Image: 28jgpat.jpg]

Now I tried implementing it in my character but its just not working out.. If anyone of you people could like edit the sprite in OP and give me a raw/rough example of how it will work, it'll be a lot of help.
This might seem a little irrelevant to ask, here did you get those sprites of that girl?

Anyway, considering that you started on in CGI, it's not as difficult as you think to transition to 2-D animation. Sure, you have to do each pose by hand as opposed to relying on sophisticated tweens, but the general principle of animation is the same for any type of media you deal with. All it takes is getting used to it.

I can't really help you with 2-D animation as much as you would like, so what I would suggest is studying how the animators from Disney and Warner Brothers animate their characters by watching the shorts. Just play each one frame by frame to study how the illusion of moment is achieved, break it down, and try to emulate it for yourself. Also, it wouldn't hurt to take a peek in any animation guidebook you could find (most mainstream animators would recommend the Animator's Survival Kit). Even though the concept and principles of animation are simple enough, it takes practice and proper guidance in order to reach a point where doing it by yourself is easy.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Spriters-resource, where else, http://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_comp...eet/57862/

And thanks for referring to that book, I think I am gonna order it.
I've tried to emulate a lot techniques from everywhere on the internet, you see that sprite I've tried to animate OP sprite like that too but its just not working out, I really need someone to work on that sprite.

GODDAMN IT Someone effin do it for me!! .... aghh sorry, I am getting frustrated now.. @Gors could you please help me, I know you can don't say no pwsss just do one cycle
I'll have more sprite like that to animate myself ;w; I need a kick start to do em---

YESS Sh*t! I am a programmer by default .-.
Thank you, but you could have just told me which game it was from or something. Since the game the sprites were from was so obscure, I almost was thinking someone else made them.

Anyway, if you want our help, would you please be a little more calm? We know desperate you are for these sprites, but try not to swear or demand us to do them for you.

If you'd like, though, I could see about doing them for you. I'm used to working with more complex characters, so this one shouldn't be to much trouble to deal with. The only downside is that I mihgt make him bend more and alter the legs to make the animation work better. Is this fine?
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thank you v.v I'd appreciate your help (like seriously I need it).

And sorry for swearing.