Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
YouTube: Google Plus edition!
Basically, for the people who haven't heard, the biggest problem among the newest YouTube update is that know, you now need a Google Plus account to post comments on YouTube.

Yup! Good ol' fashioned Google hi-jinks!

Other issues include but are not limited to: no spam button, all inbox messages go directly to your Google Plus account instead of your YouTube account, you HAVE to use your real name, and MUCH MORE!
Thanked by:
youtube made itself worse again what else is new
Good changes:
  • Higher character limit (although it's currently way too high, maybe infinite?)
  • Allows posting of links
  • Threaded conversations is a good idea
  • I think you can edit your comments? Not sure, I haven't commented with the new system yet

Bad changes:
  • You need to comment using your Google+ account (although you can make Google+ "page" if you don't want to use your actual name)
  • Threaded conversations only work with comments posted on Google+
  • I think you can only reply to, thumb up/down, mute, and report abuse on comments that were posted with the new system
  • No top comments
  • Comments are ordered by "importance" or whatever by default, you need to specify to order chronologically every time
  • When you click to see the comment a comment is replying to, it opens in a whole new tab, which is identical to the last one (video and all), and simply puts the comment that was replied to at the top

I don't think it's all bad, but the bad definitely outweighs the good. The last point in particular really amazes me.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: Tellis
While some changes are annoying and useless, the bright side is it does slow down the spam and people who ask useless questions.
But really comments can arguably be the worst part of Youtube sometimes, especially with the more popular videos.
Respect and Care
Love for People
Faith in Christ
Thanked by:
[Image: RxtgegF.jpg]
Quote:"why the fuck do i need a google+ account to comment on a video?"

YouTube co-founder Jawed Karim — or at least, whoever controls Jawed Karim’s YouTube account — weighing in on changes to YouTube’s comments system, which went into effect this week and requires YouTube users to connect their account to a Google+ page or profile.
~~LOVE~~ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.
[Image: mousey.gif]

Can't say it better than Critikal does.
Thanked by: Rhyme, Phaze, Rosencrantz
money is now made via how long you watch the video not ads

wow

not to mention all links are screamers and or virus
Thanked by: puggsoy, SchAlternate
(11-10-2013, 12:09 AM)Pugnificent Wrote: money is now made via how long you watch the video not ads

wow

Link/elaboration please? This sounds weird.
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by:

this also sums it up

(11-08-2013, 10:15 PM)Neweegee Wrote: While some changes are annoying and useless, the bright side is it does slow down the spam and people who ask useless questions.
But really comments can arguably be the worst part of Youtube sometimes, especially with the more popular videos.

the comments are still the worst part of youtube this forced google+ account stuff isn't changing that
Thanked by:
I'm hoping we'll be able to add our social security and bank account numbers soon, kinda disappointing they don't let you do that yet Sad
[Image: lSsaVSZ.png]

Basically it's about as great as Youtube Cdi....

And I think that face is basically all the expression of sadness that is needed for said update
[Image: 1lYIpk9.gif] GET THESE MEMES OFF THE TABLE! -Hiyna
http://www.twitch.tv/hiynastrike live when I feel like it... You just gotta get lucky
[Image: xG4BaYw.gif]

Also Love Stuff

Hey Look! I support stuff!
Thanked by:
What's worse is that any comment that wasn't posted prior to the update can no longer be rated/replied.
(01-24-2014, 07:52 AM)Gors Wrote: those are really fucking classy surnames you've got there

[Image: tumblr_npvw95As6k1tzzv2wo1_540.gif]
Thanked by: puggsoy
I can't help but feel that, right after this update, Youtube comments in general got slightly worse for some reason.
Thanked by:
Well if one positive thing has come out of this, it's that without a way to comment (I'm not converting my account), I no longer feel an impulse to participate in the dreck that constitutes Youtube comments.

I'm honestly tempted to just make a userscript to remove them altogether, now.
Thanked by:
(01-24-2014, 07:52 AM)Gors Wrote: those are really fucking classy surnames you've got there

[Image: tumblr_npvw95As6k1tzzv2wo1_540.gif]
Thanked by: puggsoy, StarSock64