Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Obscure Gaming
Basically, this is a thread for discussion about all things obscure, unknown, and forgotten in the world of gaming.

To start on a high note, here's video footage of a game nobody's heard of (which also had a DOS port) on one of the most ill-fated systems of all time:

And by ill-fated, I mean Funtech went bankrupt because of it and had unsold units destroyed out of spite.
[Image: box.png] Dumb x (list)
Thanked by:
Since we're on the subject of games hardly anyone has heard of anymore, may I bring this gem up?

This was only released in Japan because I think the manga was exclusive to Japan (it's a great read, by the way, so I recommend giving it a look). While i don't care for how much the main hero (Hamel) abuses the girl (Flute), it has plenty of unique mechanics that makes this an enjoyable game. Plus, I think some of the costumes the girl wears are fun to look at.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:
Sonic the Hedgehog Bath Bubbles
Thanked by: Marth, puggsoy, Zero Kirby
This probably isn't too obscure to most people here any more, considering how much I talk about it, but Puggsy is still fairly unknown to the average gamer. It's kind of hard to find a decent example video, because the first few levels are extremely simple and don't really show its potential as much as the rest. Here's an OK review video though:

Some people say he's ugly, personally I think Puggsy doesn't look half bad, but whatever. The gameplay and music are, in my opinion, what really make this game great.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
(11-08-2013, 08:15 PM)puggsoy Wrote: This probably isn't too obscure to most people here any more, considering how much I talk about it, but Puggsy is still fairly unknown to the average gamer. It's kind of hard to find a decent example video, because the first few levels are extremely simple and don't really show its potential as much as the rest. Here's an OK review video though:

-review-

Some people say he's ugly, personally I think Puggsy doesn't look half bad, but whatever. The gameplay and music are, in my opinion, what really make this game great.

[Image: box.png] Dumb x (list)
Thanked by: puggsoy, SchAlternate
Haha, yeah I've seen that before. Pretty funny Tongue

That makes me think though, I should try comparing that ROM with the original Puggsy ROM sometime and see if I can figure out how the graphics are stored.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Manhattan Missions

The most obscure and underrated of the old TMNT games. Due to being exclusive to DOS computers.
Most interesting is the fact that they borrow more elements from the original 1984 comics than the 1987 cartoon.
With the only cartoon related stuff being Bebop and Rocksteady as bosses, Baxter Stockman being white, and the coloured masks.
They even include things from the first film and tabletop RPGs as well. IE, Tatsu, and even more unknown mutants.

Loved it as a kid. And if you have DosBox, give it a try. Much better than the lousy ports of both the arcade and NES games.
[Image: sonamy_animtitle_by_retrobunyip-dbg86ov.gif]
Thanked by:
Not sure if I'm actually interested in playing it, but I gotta say I love the idea of all your stats fluctuating in battle like that.
Thanked by: