Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Nintendo Kills SwapNote
So I'm very surprised no one has discussed this yet!

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/31/505333...exchanging

So what do you all think of this ridiculous predicament? I think the backlash will be so great Nintendo will have to do something fast. Lots of people are pissed including myself. I'm not sure how many of you used SwapNote but it was a great app that was the main method of communication and messaging on the 3DS. Now thanks to "inappropriate" content being shared to minors, Nintendo has terminated the app.

Nintendo is overreacting, they should leave the parenting to the parents in my opinion.

Thanked by: Gwen
They didn't "kill SwapNote", they (temporarily, as far as they've said) removed the SpotPass feature of it.
In other words, you can still get notes locally through StreetPass, but not from internet people.

Honestly, I don't think anyone really cares.
SwapNote was decent for a while but then got really boring.

Note that they also disables the SpotPass features of FlipNote Studio as well, but it still retains its StreetPass capabilities as well.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: Goemar, DioShiba
But StreetPass on SwapNote only works with people you registered as your friend, making it pointless for those of us miles a part.

As far as you claiming "nobody cares", that certainly isn't true. Many people are upset about this, not to mention that there are many new 3DS users here thanks to X and Y.

Thanked by: Gwen
It's one of many global communication tools out there. If one falls, you just use another. Skype, anyone? Or for the more network-type users, Facebook. Phones + Unlimited Texting....any other IMs, the list goes on.
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Thanked by:
Well obviously. You didn't use this for your main method of communication in life, it was just for 3DS fun. Not to mention drawing and posting 3D pictures.

I had a good time receiving messages from the folks over three different forums. One gal from the DKVine community would get dopey on her sleeping pills and send the most bizarre scribbles. A guy from the Nintendo Database would send an episodic drama. It was good fun... Actually from tSR community I received the least amount of notes from. You guys, the artists, sent the least notes? Well I guess many of you didn't even have a 3DS at the time.

Thanked by: Gwen, Kriven
Don't blame me for sending nothing. I'm too autistic for social interaction.
Wait... I'm talking to strangers right now, AAAAAAHHHH!!!

True excuse: I've only started adding tSR members when I really needed to (Friend Safari).
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
My Game Maker games (Dropbox download links):

Thanked by:
(11-03-2013, 08:14 AM)Koopaul Wrote: But StreetPass on SwapNote only works with people you registered as your friend

doesn't that apply to spotpass as well?
Thanked by:
(11-03-2013, 05:30 AM)Vipershark Wrote: They didn't "kill SwapNote", they (temporarily, as far as they've said) removed the SpotPass feature of it.
In other words, you can still get notes locally through StreetPass, but not from internet people.

Honestly, I don't think anyone really cares.
SwapNote was decent for a while but then got really boring.

Note that they also disables the SpotPass features of FlipNote Studio as well, but it still retains its StreetPass capabilities as well.

Doesn't matter to you =/= doesn't matter to everyone else.
Yeah it wasn't a main method of communication, but it was still a lot of fun and sometimes my friends would send me the stupidest shit that would brighten my day a little, or I'd send something incredibly idiotic just because it was what we did.
[Image: b6Bqjzn.gif]
Why is it Nintendo's business on what people can send with SwapNote?
[Image: box.png] Dumb x (list)
Thanked by:
Because Nintendo will ultimately get blamed for whatever gets sent.

[Image: 357n7r6_zps67bc167e.gif]
Thanked by:
Unfortunately that's true. I'm hoping they'll fix the problem with some parental controls or something.

Thanked by:
Yep, all you need is a few people, and the whole thing's ruined for everyone.

I didn't care much for it though, as I didn't even know where a spotpass place is.
Respect and Care
Love for People
Faith in Christ
Thanked by:
Even though I can agree that these two are overrated and somewhat annoying (not to mention perverted), Gamechap and Bertie sometimes have videos with knowledgeable content about the game industry and the like. The one they did about Swapnote is no exception.

The chaps raise a good point by not only suggesting parental controls, but also having a means of reporting offending users. If Nintendo ever brings back Swapnote, I hope they would look into that option.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:
I can't help but feel like Nintendo was being very naive by just assuming everyone would behave themselves in the first place. How can they not have expected this to happen? Do they even understand how social media works? They aren't going to survive the coming years if they can't get with the program.

Also for the record I use(d) Swapnote all the dang time, so yes it does matter to some people.
Nintendo still hasn't got there act together with online. I mean removing an app instead of having you know, a way of reporting people? It's just silly. Hell it took them like an age to patch Mario Kart and there reasoning for taking so long was so broken it was just bizarre.

They simply don't know what they are doing online so this is the kind of shit we have to put up with.

(11-03-2013, 08:32 AM)Koopaul Wrote: Well obviously. You didn't use this for your main method of communication in life, it was just for 3DS fun. Not to mention drawing and posting 3D pictures.

I had a good time receiving messages from the folks over three different forums. One gal from the DKVine community would get dopey on her sleeping pills and send the most bizarre scribbles. A guy from the Nintendo Database would send an episodic drama. It was good fun...

I'm sure you can add these people on Facebook, or something - most people have a smartphone now days with some kind of similar app. Ok I get it, you had fun - but well, it's not like your 3DS is now a piece of junk or you have no other means of doing the same shizzle on something else.

It's kinda like when Sony removed the ability to install Linux on the PS3. Yes it pissed people off, and those angry people were loud, but it's not like a lot of people used it and removing it devalued the console.

I'd wait a few weeks and see if it re-emerges, though it simply may not be worth Nintendo's time. I mean if Chatroulette didn't have ads and it needed to be taken down to add report functionality would it exist?
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
Thanked by: